• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    If I wanted to reach out to a representative who is in MD and active in congress who (if there is one) is it.

I know the Dems agenda, but I want to meet and ask the questions like - if the Dems are going to get there way in banning any firearms and changing laws "to make it harder for the wrong people to get guns", than I want to know who has the power & will take the opportunity now to negotiate for guns to be returned to the right hands if they (the dems) are so damn sure they measures will be effective.
    If the Dems are so sure their changes will be successful than a voice should be on the floor demanding in return carry permits for Americans, namely here in MD, that are not the "wrong people".

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Yes but.

You are missing the point. They want an Australian type confiscation and very limited, if any, public ownership. These common sense restrictions are the conceded to middle ground.

Carry? In public? You have lost your flipping mind.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In case anyone needs to see and read Andy Harris' positions and stance for 2A and the matters vital to America today, I received this response from him July 15.

July 15, 2016

Dear Mr. L,

Thank you for contacting me in support of Second Amendment rights as gun control advocates seek to pass new legislation following the shooting that happened in Orlando, Florida. I remain committed to working together to prevent these types of tragedies and to ensure the safety of Marylanders. As a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights, I believe this must be done by addressing mental health issues, prosecuting criminals, and fighting radical Islamic terrorism.

It is clear the shooter in Orlando was inspired by ISIS. In the transcripts of phone conversations the assailant had with police during the incident, now released by the FBI, he referred to himself as an Islamic soldier and pledged his allegiance to the Islamic State. Inspiring and recruiting terrorists in America is one of the most difficult threats that ISIS presents to the United States, and their success abroad increases the risk of their success here at home.

Unfortunately, the administration’s foreign policy regarding ISIS in Syria has been a failure. The reluctance to provide American leadership in the region provided a vacuum that has allowed ISIS to grow. ISIS is continuing its murderous and brutally oppressive campaign. The Syrian conflict has created a fertile recruiting ground for Islamic extremists and terrorists. There remains a risk that these extremists could enter the United States through refugee programs and continue their fight on American soil. However, as the events in Orlando, Florida and San Bernardino, California have demonstrated, the threat of radical Islamic terrorists recruited in the United States is real, and deadly.

Everyone wants to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, but it must be done in a way that complies with the U.S. Constitution. In addition, we must realize gun control will neither stop terrorism nor defeat ISIS. Some current proposals seek to prohibit gun sales to people on the “terrorist watch list” or the “no-fly list.” However, these lists are not defined in law, and do not allow “due process” rights to those Americans mistakenly on this list. The lists indeed often wrongly include people. Even Senator Ted Kennedy was included on a no-fly list. In fact, 800,000 people are included in the terrorist watch list and 47,000 are on the no-fly list. Only a review by government agencies is available for those seeking removal - there is no review or hearing before a neutral judge. These lists may help prioritize counter-terrorism activities, but even if gun purchases were banned for everyone listed, both the attacks in Orlando and San Bernardino would have occurred unimpeded. The Orlando terrorist had been investigated and removed from the watch list by the FBI, and the terrorists in San Bernardino obtained rifles through a third person “straw” purchase.

As a physician, I feel strongly that mental health care reform also needs to be a part of the gun violence discussion. While it is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper care in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. On July 6, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed, with my vote in support, H.R. 2646 the “Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act of 2016.” The bill would expand coverage of mental health services under Medicaid, among other provisions. The bill is now pending consideration in the U.S. Senate.

We must also enforce gun control laws that protect people from danger, such as preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from severe psychiatric disorders. With over 4,450 laws related to guns on the federal law books, many of which were broken in recent tragedies, our attention should be focused on enforcing the already numerous gun laws and restrictions, devoting much needed attention to mental health care reform, while fighting ISIS and their recruitment of radical Islamic terrorists in the United States.

As Congress addresses the many challenges facing our nation, I hope you will continue to share your suggestions. For the fastest and most cost-effective response, please contact me via email. To keep up with my work in Congress, visit my website at harris.house.gov and sign up to receive updates at harris.house.gov/contact-me/newsletter.

Sincerely,

Member of Congress
    Andy Harris M.D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom