• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I am moving from Baltimore City likely into Baltimore county. The likely area is north of Sparks. Does anyone know what the laws are regarding discharging of a firearm on private property in Baltimore? The property is likely between 11-20 acres.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    if you stop by the cockeysville precinct on wright road, they have a map on the wall just as you enter the lobby. it's on the right hand side of the glass cage the desk people sit behind, it outlines where you can shoot. you'll be above my location and as far as i know, you'll be okay. double check it though and don't forget even though you maybe allowed to shoot, the neighbors still have the right to complain about the noise. full auto's have a tendancy to scare folks. have fun.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    God I love being able to shoot and hunt on my own property. I jusy cleared a few trees behind the house so I can set up a skeet thrower on the back deck.(and firewood of course)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am moving from Baltimore City likely into Baltimore county. The likely area is north of Sparks. Does anyone know what the laws are regarding discharging of a firearm on private property in Baltimore? The property is likely between 11-20 acres.

You do know, you now have to invite everyone over....

Seriously, one of the Industry Partners has a small range up there and we fired at least 250 rounds of handgun ammo with no issues, other than a dirty look from a bow hunter. Verify like woodstock said.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    if you stop by the cockeysville precinct on wright road, they have a map on the wall just as you enter the lobby. it's on the right hand side of the glass cage the desk people sit behind, it outlines where you can shoot. you'll be above my location and as far as i know, you'll be okay. double check it though and don't forget even though you maybe allowed to shoot, the neighbors still have the right to complain about the noise. full auto's have a tendancy to scare folks. have fun.

Full autos are only allowed at approved ranges in Baltimore County. This legislation was passed a few years ago after numerous compliants about an idiot in the whitehall area shooting full auto on his property using straw bails as a backstop and having stray rounds whistling through neighbor's backyards. This same idiot owns a gun shop, so it wasn't just some fool who didn't know any better.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    http://www.amlegal.com/baltimoreco_md/, search for "firearm" and read Title 2.

Anyone Else find the bolded part interesting...It mentions discharging in defense of property...
    § 17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

(b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.

(c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:

(1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or

(2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:

(i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;

(ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property; or

(iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer.

(d) Automatic weapons.

(1) In this subsection “automatic weapon” means any weapon capable of firing multiple shots with one depression of the trigger.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge an automatic weapon in the county.

(1988 Code, § 20-41) (Bill No. 169-93, § 1, 1-27-1994; Bill No. 114-99, § 3, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 13-00, § 1, 3-10-2000; Bill No. 73-03, § 22, 7-1-2004)

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Don't forget to yell "its coming right for us" before squeezing the trigger

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Full autos are only allowed at approved ranges in Baltimore County. This legislation was passed a few years ago after numerous compliants about an idiot in the whitehall area shooting full auto on his property using straw bails as a backstop and having stray rounds whistling through neighbor's backyards. This same idiot owns a gun shop, so it wasn't just some fool who didn't know any better.

Idiots with guns is always a good combination. Now, idiots with guns and alcohol is even better. :D

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    yeah, definitely stop in the Cockeysville precinct and check. they're supposed to have a map posted in the lobby as to where the boundaries are of the "metropolitan district." outside of those boundaries, which Sparks should be, is all good.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    My father once looked it up in the zoning codes book and said anything "RC" was ok. Yeah he works for the state in Towson. RC stands for rural conservation and most properties out here on these country roads are RC2, RC4, and RC5 I believe too. Safety zone probably applies too, 150 yards from occupied dwelling unless you have permission.

BTW I am another industry partner with a "private range" LOL. I've had small groups from PA of people met through open carry gatherings, shown a few beginners the basics of shooting, and extend the invites to customers as well. The last group that was here was something else. 2+ hours, M1 Garand BOOM, AK rapid fire, AR, shotgun, pistols of all sorts, and some other odds and ends. I had to stop at a certain point to go host an open carry dinner at the New Freedom Restaurant, and one of the guys did either bump firing or some sort of Jerry Mucelick (sp) rapid semi auto fire trick ( or is that also bump firing?). I had already told everyone no full autos and no bump firing. But...not a complaint from any neighbors. Never have had a complaint ever. I have a guy who lives about 1/4 mile as the crow flies away who has complained to me that there hasn't been enough shooting! LOL! He'd come over, but he is taking care of his very elderly dad who still lives at home.

Before ammo prices went up, the whole area sounded like july 4 every weekend if the weather was nice.

Oh I remembered something funny. Was talking to another neighbor one day, and she mentions all the target shooting always going on ( in general, not from my place specifically). She said one day some friend of hers from the city came up and heard some shooting and got all concerned and said " shouldn't we call the police?". The neighbor lady hadn't even noticed the shooting, but told her friend that it was normal, was target shooting, and goes on all the time around here, and don't worry about it.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    What does it take to get a 'bona fide', per the law, range on my private property so I can shoot a machine gun?

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I finally made my way to a Baltimore county police hut and eye balled the map in question. Seems pretty straightforward. The police officer I spoke with said the map does not change often and when it does it is a big process.

Are there other technicalities one should be aware of if considering setting up a home range in Baltimore County? For instance, does anyone know if there is a minimum distance from structures or other properties?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I finally made my way to a Baltimore county police hut and eye balled the map in question. Seems pretty straightforward. The police officer I spoke with said the map does not change often and when it does it is a big process.

Are there other technicalities one should be aware of if considering setting up a home range in Baltimore County? For instance, does anyone know if there is a minimum distance from structures or other properties?

common sense rules the day. figger this, every bullet that comes out of the muzzle, has your name on it. rest assured, a lawyer is chasing that bullet. as per the writing on the boxes of ammo i have seen, say the projectile can travel up to 1 1/2 miles.

i would like you to invite me out to "help" you find the safest conditions :D. i am a safety officer for IDPA, NRA and the such. i am only minutes away from your location and would provide my services for free :innocent0. oh, and i would really, really, really like to test those conditions out. i can provide target stands and all the compliments necessary to make for a safe range. :smoke: pm me.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I live in Carroll county, Carroll does not have a law about discharging firearms, but the city of Westminster does. Make sure you check both places, not just county laws!

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Welcome to the Hereford Zone soon to be neighbor! I'd gladly help break in your new range :)

I live in the same area, always check with the cops first for your own piece of mind instead of taking a stranger's internet advice...but you're good to go. I believe you have to be > 150 ' from a dwelling and regardless of the legality of shooting on your property the legal burden of what happens when the round stops is always on you.

One question I have is who bears the responsibility if a guest squeezes the trigger and an accident occurs? I'm guessing the homeowner / land owner bears at least some legal burden, but I'm not an attorney. I only let my best friend shoot on my property when I'm here and shooting / observing so I haven't really looked into it. You're welcome to see what I do on my property.

I would build a dirt backstop, AND preferably have a hill / terrain between your impact area and any other residences within at least two miles.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Has anyone seen this metro district map and can explain where its boundaries are?

If you are on city water or sewer, you are most likely in the metro.

To the OP. It is always best to be neighborly. Just because you can shoot doesn't mean you should. Horses, dogs, people can all be effected negatively by the sound of gunfire. Out here there is almost always reasonable accommodation for all concerned if sought.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I live in Carroll county, Carroll does not have a law about discharging firearms, but the city of Westminster does. Make sure you check both places, not just county laws!

There are no cities with independent laws in Baltimore County...it's just the county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom