• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    And to think, as youngsters my buddy and I used to successfully hitchhike in PG county carrying uncased long guns.

I'll probably be called out for being stupid, but was I really stupid? Or did the lefties over-react and force the LEOs to intervene.

I'll begin by saying that the LEOs in this situation were professional, respectful, and helpful. I was grateful for their help.

After shooting at a local outdoor range, my truck fails to start. I eventually push the right wires to get it started but know that there is an electrical problem that needs to be fixed.

I drop my truck off at the local repair shop and ask for a ride home. The loaner is out and no staff available. None of my contacts can come pick me up.

I get impatient and decide to walk about 2 miles home along a 2-lane rural road with my unloaded shot gun in its case.

I get 500 yards down the road when two LEOs pull up to me to check out my situation.

They were professional and thorough, ran my ID, checked the credibility of my story, and gave me a ride home. No arrest or charge, but a friendly warning that some LEOs might have arrested me for carrying a weapon in public. My LEO friends question whether they could have arrested me for this, but either way it opened me up to being searched and ID checked.

Apparently somebody driving by saw something and said something.

So lesson learned. Maybe it was technically legal to carry the unloaded shotgun home secured in its case, but apparently it's frowned upon by many people.

Is there anybody out there that would have walked home like me, or am I alone on this one?

No one should be bowing to pressure from the left...That's how we got where we are...appeasement doesn't work...Take a stand, you did nothing wrong

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    A couple of years ago I bought a rifle from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. As I was writing the check, I asked the guy how I was going to get the gun to my car, several blocks away in a public lot. He looked out the door and said: " I'll give you 1 round".

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    And given that MSP seems confused about their own rules at times, I have a hard time believing every cop on the force understands the intricacies of firearms law in MD.

No they do not.

Went to the MSP Barracks in North East prior to 10/13 to transfer two rifles from my Dad to myself.

First trooper I got was an unbelievable a&@hole. And I really mean that. He was condescending, ignorant of the law, and refused to even try and confirm the validity of what I was trying to do. I had the designated collector letter and everything. In his own words he "didn't give a s&@% what that letter said" and that MD said only one regulated firearm per month. I held my tongue.

He was replaced by a trooper moments later who was the total opposite. The guy had me bring the rifles in to the barracks to check the serial numbers and did every piece of paperwork without hesitation. He did ask for a copy of my DC letter cause he had never seen one before and just wanted to send it along with the application to avoid any issues.

But by all means, lets pass more stupid laws and regulations that the police cannot possibly commit to memory (we aren't computers after all) and then hope that they are enforced correctly.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No they do not.

Went to the MSP Barracks in North East prior to 10/13 to transfer two rifles from my Dad to myself.

First trooper I got was an unbelievable a&@hole. And I really mean that. He was condescending, ignorant of the law, and refused to even try and confirm the validity of what I was trying to do. I had the designated collector letter and everything. In his own words he "didn't give a s&@% what that letter said" and that MD said only one regulated firearm per month. I held my tongue.

He was replaced by a trooper moments later who was the total opposite. The guy had me bring the rifles in to the barracks to check the serial numbers and did every piece of paperwork without hesitation. He did ask for a copy of my DC letter cause he had never seen one before and just wanted to send it along with the application to avoid any issues.

But by all means, lets pass more stupid laws and regulations that the police cannot possibly commit to memory (we aren't computers after all) and then hope that they are enforced correctly.

That's when you ask for a supervisor and file a complaint. There is no reason for a trooper to act like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Once when I was visiting my grandmother in Tenn., I decided to walk over the hill to my uncles to do some target shooting. I put my S&W model 10 in the holster and wore it. It wasn't far but, about half way there, I was stopped by a police officer. he asked, "Where you headed?" I replied, "Over the hill to my uncles to do some target shooting."
    He said, "Looks like a nice gun. Can I see it?" I said, "Sure." I took it out of the holster, opened the empty cylinder and handed it to him. He said, " Looks like you take really good care of it!" I said, " Thank you!". With that, he handed it back to me and said "Have a nice day and enjoy your practice." Then he drove off.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

So lesson learned. Maybe it was technically legal to carry the unloaded shotgun home secured in its case, but apparently it's frowned upon by many people.

Is there anybody out there that would have walked home like me, or am I alone on this one?

Completely depends on the location and time of year context.

In western MD and on the Eastern Shore, outside of the biggest towns, no one would bat an eye, esp during the popular hunting seasons.

To be arrested, the arresting officer has to site some law, even if its just disturbing the peace; as some have pointed out above, there is NO law against long gun carry in MD, so they'd have to fabricate something.

In a perfect world, it would be easy and reasonable to expect a judge to agree that a CASED long gun being carefully carried would have no intent to be provocative. Sadly too many sorry butt liberals are now serving on Maryland's benches.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'll probably be called out for being stupid, but was I really stupid? Or did the lefties over-react and force the LEOs to intervene.

I'll begin by saying that the LEOs in this situation were professional, respectful, and helpful. I was grateful for their help.

After shooting at a local outdoor range, my truck fails to start. I eventually push the right wires to get it started but know that there is an electrical problem that needs to be fixed.

I drop my truck off at the local repair shop and ask for a ride home. The loaner is out and no staff available. None of my contacts can come pick me up.

I get impatient and decide to walk about 2 miles home along a 2-lane rural road with my unloaded shot gun in its case.

I get 500 yards down the road when two LEOs pull up to me to check out my situation.

They were professional and thorough, ran my ID, checked the credibility of my story, and gave me a ride home. No arrest or charge, but a friendly warning that some LEOs might have arrested me for carrying a weapon in public. My LEO friends question whether they could have arrested me for this, but either way it opened me up to being searched and ID checked.

YOU did nothing wrong...
    The LEOs did nothing wrong...

The person calling in the complaint was simply concerned about a stranger walking down the road in their neighborhood, carrying a gun case.

You were vindicated by the investigation and found to be violating NO laws... AND... even got a free ride home for your troubles.

AND for those who want to biotch and name call the LEOs... Giving the OP a ride home was NOT the action of someone "being an ass". :sad20:

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Personally I think you did the responsible thing. Your only other option would have been to leave it with the truck...not a good idea. Kudos to the officers that gave you a lift.

A couple of years ago I bought a rifle from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. As I was writing the check, I asked the guy how I was going to get the gun to my car, several blocks away in a public lot. He looked out the door and said: " I'll give you 1 round".

That sounds like something one particular person who works there would say......

I remember when I was younger, before I was "of age" for handguns I used to walk down my street with a long gun all the time. I would go down a half mile to my family's farm and hunt groundhogs, walking past neighbor houses, people driving by and no one would care. It's amazing/sad how much things have changed so quickly and I'm only 30.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    YOU did nothing wrong...
    The LEOs did nothing wrong...

The person calling in the complaint was simply concerned about a stranger walking down the road in their neighborhood, carrying a gun case.

You were vindicated by the investigation and found to be violating NO laws... AND... even got a free ride home for your troubles.

AND for those who want to biotch and name call the LEOs... Giving the OP a ride home was NOT the action of someone "being an ass". :sad20:

Zackly :thumbsup:

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I'd like to think it would just depends on the long gun..if it was something of a 5.56, you might get SWAT and of course the 6'oclock news in Maryland...it wouldn't surprise me, at least in Moco or PG....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom