As if I Needed More Reloading Components!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    When you already reload almost 40 different calibers, adding a couple more shouldn't be a big deal, right? Lately my biggest issue has become finding the space to store components and the time to load the new rounds I want to shoot "next Sunday morning".

Now that I'm into loading 45-70 Govt and 450 Bushmaster to feed my most recently acquired toys, other calibers have taken back seats. Stocking up on components I'll need in the future makes sense, right? (I'm looking for some validation here...;))

Today, my Graf's order from last week arrived. The box was pretty heavy. Along with other reloading stuff I needed, there was more 450BM brass, .452 bullets for the Bushmaster and some Acme .458 coated boolits to try in in my 45-70 loads.

After experiencing this "stock up" urge on newly acquired calibers many times before, is this "urge" normal and routine among veteran reloaders?

:shrug:

Attachments

• 450BM & 45-70 Components Capture.jpg
      450BM & 45-70 Components Capture.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 498

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Speaking from experience this is normal. I have been shooting almost every weekend my AR-15A1 with ammo loaded in the 1980s.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a hard time keeping components stocked. If I have em the first bit of spare time I get I load them. On a rainy day or a cold weekend I will put in 8hrs a day if need be at the bench. I'm obsessive about the amount of loaded ammo I have I even keep a spread sheet and will add or subtract as I load or shoot.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah, you just send me 50 grain zombie pills.;)
    I'm still working on them too.:thumbsup:

Slacker....

You should be through them by now. Gotta pick it up! Too much work!

Gotta grin at OP's post. NOBODY I know loads the number of different cartridges that he does. Still gets excited about new cartridges and Sunday shoots with good friends.

God forbid that ever changes.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    no problems here, but generally do it backwards, buy the components first before acquiring the firearm to shoot it and buy in bulk always, even if I don't need it now. AFA component storage, ammo cans, labeled accordingly. Cast your own then it becomes even more interesting, what caliber, do it in batches of one caliber or do several different calibers. Then you have case forming for your wildcats, taking .22lr cases and making bullets, on and on, I just wait for bad weather, to do the reloading sessions. So in that it is normal... right?

-Rock

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Slacker....

You should be through them by now. Gotta pick it up! Too much work!

Gotta grin at OP's post. NOBODY I know loads the number of different cartridges that he does. Still gets excited about new cartridges and Sunday shoots with good friends.

That's what working out of town does for my hobbies, I've got a bunch of catching up to do.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So, if you get 2 reloading presses, you can load twice as fast. run one lever with each hand.

Caveat: this is an attempt at humor. Under no circumstances would I condone operating 2 presses at once. Its a bad idea. Reloading required patience, attention to detail, and concentration.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No one else is going to comment on the number of calibers he's reloading? 40 different calibers! You are the man. When do you find time to go to work?

This is the most I've ever heard of anyone reloading. You must have a bench a mile long.
    You are my hero!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

I appreciate that, Uncle Duke. One day we'd love to see you at a Hooligan shoot! :thumbsup:

Eons ago I started reloading 303 British rounds for the SMLE I bought for $79. Why? Because the ammo was over $1 per round and I had a great mentor y'all know as JAGGUY. Who'd have thought where that beginning would lead?

The fun part is most of my reloads are more accurate than factory ammo. For many old rifles like Arisaka's and Carcanos, the cost of inaccurate factory ammo is absurd. For pistol rounds, I can build 9mm's cheaper than I can buy .22's. My reloads keep my toys well fed.

Today I have over 50 die storage boxes in my cabinet - I counted them. They're all there for a purpose. The crazy part is I also have over 25 bullet molds - I counted them too. Beyond .22 rimfire, there's not a toy I own I "couldn't" build my own ammo for.

Do I reload that many different cabers? Hell yes! Check out some Hooligan Shoot threads. You'll definitely see many of them in action. Better yet, come meet Hooli about sunrise some Sunday morning...

;)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    One day, and thank you sir for the invite! Only I'm not sure if Hooli has ever seen a flatlander before.

Come to think of it, if Hooli has indeed seen flatlanders before, I'm thinking I'm not even 3% sure I'd want to know about it! :) My Momma raised ugly children, not stupid ones!

Keep doin what you're doin! Your Hooligan threads are always a great Sunday read! You folks have a whole lot of special going on out West. It's as rare to see nowadays as it is good.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I've never had 40 different cartridges to reload, but I had up to 10 and downsized. Now I only reload .308, 30-06, .223, 9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP.
    Some times I'll reload some .357, but that's only for my revolver that I rarely shoot.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Keep doin what you're doin! Your Hooligan threads are always a great Sunday read! You folks have a whole lot of special going on out West. It's as rare to see nowadays as it is good.

Hooli gets along with most flatlanders. He's mellowed out a lot. And we definitely plan to keep shooting. :thumbsup: I have me a new batch of 100, 450 Bushmaster and 60, 45-70 rounds ready for next Sunday. :D

:omg:

OMG! I just realized 160 rounds is a huge evil cache of ammo. :shocked2:

:secret: Please don't tell anyone! Anyway, most of the cases will be empty again on Sunday and they'll never know...

:innocent0

Attachments

• 450BM and 45-70 Loaded Ammo Capture.jpg
      450BM and 45-70 Loaded Ammo Capture.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca