• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    not really, a couple of loose paper shells. I dont have a 28 or a .410 so not as interested. Owning a Winchester 1895 in .405 Win cost me in shell boxes though.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I finally got the beginnings of a bench together, so now I can contribute to this slightly stale thread! Not very elaborate, not well stocked yet, and not as big as I'd ultimately like, but it is sturdy and gets the job done. The best part about it is cranking out 9mm at $5/50 and .45 at $8/50 that are more accurate and cleaner than what I was paying double for at Wally World :bannana:.

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
      IMG_3107.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 2,317

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    On second thought, maybe it will look a bit more impressive if I do a little subtle accessorizing, although I doubt anyone will notice what I added ;):

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpg
      IMG_3110.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 2,272

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Cochise...........
    I can't see the forest for the trees.............
    But you sure do have a nice collection of ammo cartons. Looks like some collectable boxes there.

EddieB

Apr 1, 2009
    Frederick Co.
    Here you go. It all began years ago with a Sears workbench in a bedroom corner:

ReloadingArea2009-08.jpg

ReloadingArea2009-05.jpg

ReloadingArea2009-07.jpg

The press lying on the floor in photo #3 is a RCBS A2 that I picked up earlier this year.

Powder, primers, ammo and most tools are stored out of sight. I like tidy and organized.

:D

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    A clean bench just isn't right! :sad20: A sign of idle hands and presses. :) I need to send a pic of my "organized" reloading bench. In a word Mass clutter, well...OK....two words. :D. Have reloaded for 40 years and have gathered some stuff. Seldom get rid of anything. Maybe I need counseling - right. I can clean this up any time. :lol2: Now to struggle with posting a pic. Yuck, I am not computer friendly. :tdown:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    My Recent Addition

Just gettin started finding a long range load for the 700P.

Attachments

• DSC01537 (Large).jpg
      DSC01537 (Large).jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 2,125

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I bet Ed Shell's bench looks like a mad scientists lab with bubbling beakers and dry ice rolling from cauldrons. The room-filling supercomputers are beeping and sqwaking as they spew forth mathematical computations at the speed of light. Ed sits menacingly over his press laughing maniacally as the spotlight blindingly shines down on the perfect round he has just given life to. MWAHAhahahahahahaaaa!!!! It's ALIVE!!!! IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!

Or maybe it's just a Rockchucker. But, that would be boring.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Just gettin started finding a long range load for the 700P.

There we go Terry, looking good. Whats that light fixture you have in there?

What powder are you starting with?
    I am retesting Varget using Winchester brass (I think it has a larger case volume than the SSAs I have been using) to see if I can get up to 45.0gn (the OCW) without being too hot.
    Mike and I have both been shooting IMR 4895 @ 42.4-42.5gn with good results. The next step with that load is to shoot it over the chronograph to see if the velocity statistics are acceptable.

Good luck!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Thats a 600/300 watt halogen light, I was sitting under it gettin a tan the other night. Thing sure is bright, I will say that.

Starting with some reloader15, don't know if I'll be able to get the velocity I need out of it but I'm gonna see. I would have preferred varget but can't find any. I'm using some black hills brass that I have been saving and have about 700 rounds of it so that should last me a while. I also have about 1K FGMM brass that I'll switch to after the black hills stuff is shot out. My birthday is in June so I asked the wife for a chrono, if I get it I'll let ya know what kind of velocity I can get out of the reloader15.

I think Mike had a problem with the 45 grain being too hot but I'm not positive it was varget. Thanks for the well wishes!

There we go Terry, looking good. Whats that light fixture you have in there?

What powder are you starting with?
    I am retesting Varget using Winchester brass (I think it has a larger case volume than the SSAs I have been using) to see if I can get up to 45.0gn (the OCW) without being too hot.
    Mike and I have both been shooting IMR 4895 @ 42.4-42.5gn with good results. The next step with that load is to shoot it over the chronograph to see if the velocity statistics are acceptable.

Good luck!

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Yes, it was the 45.0gn Varget load Mike was having and issue with, but I think I might have to do with case volume. Hodgdon's Data Center lists 45.0gn as max using the Winchester case.
    I just loaded up another test batch with Varget, will let you know how that goes.
    Ive heard nothing but positive reports on RE-15, so I suspect you will find a usable load. Are you planning to follow the OCW test procedure?

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Okay, its not much, but its getting the job done. I need to find an appropriate height stool, then I'll be set.

trappers_bench.jpg

* Little plastic tubs - $1 each at Home Depot - Awesome!

trappers_bench2.jpg

I really like the Lee Pro 1000s, the left one has the case collator, bullet feeder, and multi-tube adapter for the bullet feeder.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    * Little plastic tubs - $1 each at Home Depot - Awesome!
    :thumbsup: Can never have enough bins!
    I really like the Lee Pro 1000s, the left one has the case collator, bullet feeder, and multi-tube adapter for the bullet feeder.
    Do you know if the case collator and bullet feeder will work on the Classic Turret in conjunction with the Safety Prime? I spend so much time loading rifle ammunition I want to just crank out the pistol stuff afap.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    DZ;297628Do you know if the case collator and bullet feeder will work on the Classic Turret in conjunction with the Safety Prime? I spend so much time loading rifle ammunition I want to just crank out the pistol stuff afap.[/QUOTE said:
    They won't work on the classic turret, as there is no case feeder for the collator to go on (the collator is just the red bowl on top, the tubes are part of the case feeder that comes with the pro 1000. Also, there is no bullet-feeder listed on Lee's website, so I think the mechanics to make it work don't exist on the classic turret. The good news though, is that the Pro 1000 is only $160 from Midway or most other places.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Yes, it was the 45.0gn Varget load Mike was having and issue with, but I think I might have to do with case volume. Hodgdon's Data Center lists 45.0gn as max using the Winchester case.
    I just loaded up another test batch with Varget, will let you know how that goes.
    Ive heard nothing but positive reports on RE-15, so I suspect you will find a usable load. Are you planning to follow the OCW test procedure?

I haven't read the articles that Dan Newberry has written but those are on my to do list for when I'm on vacation next week and start messin around with it. Kinda trying to get the brass prepped ahead of time so I can get more loading time in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom