• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I know, I know. Aesthetically-speaking, the PPQ 45 is right up there at the top of the fugly-scale. To me, it looks like they took a Glock and a Hi Point and got Quasimodo to mash them together in a hydraulic press under the light of a full moon. I don't care, though. I didn't get it for its looks. :D

Pfft. I may be sick, but I like the way PPQs look.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice, I just purchase the PPQ45 friday and hope I get pick it up tomorrow. My first 45 was going to be a nice 1911 but when I fired my buddies PPQ45 I was sold.

I know exactly how you feel. I was sold the moment I shot a friend's too. Nobody at the moment is making a striker-fired pistol that I like more and can shoot more accurately than the Walther pistols.

Definitely a win on capacity. 12 rounds of 45 ACP amounts to some serious lead (at 15 grams per each 230 grain bullet).

I tried 9mm in pin matches a couple of times last year and it just didn't have enough oomph to reliably knock pins completely off the table, even with 147gr bullets. With .45 the margin of error is much more forgiving.

Pfft. I may be sick, but I like the way PPQs look.

No, you're not sick. PPQ's have kind of a futuristic look to them and that tends to freak us old guys out a little. When we think 'Walther' the first image that comes to mind is the PPK, P-38, PP Super, P-5 etc. They probably did the right thing by coming up with a design that's a total departure from their past.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Fired mine recently while on vacation about 100 rounds and it is a great accurate shooter. Mods to come, Sorry No Pics...this might be my carry pistol and now looking for holsters.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Fired mine recently while on vacation about 100 rounds and it is a great accurate shooter. Mods to come, Sorry No Pics...this might be my carry pistol and now looking for holsters.

I wasn't lying, was I? :thumbsup:

I've got about 350 rounds thru mine and I'm seriously considering it to take over the role of primary HD pistol from my CZ 75 Compact PCR.

Keep me posted on your holster search. I haven't had much time lately to either shoot or shop. Hoping to change that this week.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I wasn't lying, was I? :thumbsup:

I've got about 350 rounds thru mine and I'm seriously considering it to take over the role of primary HD pistol from my CZ 75 Compact PCR.

Keep me posted on your holster search. I haven't had much time lately to either shoot or shop. Hoping to change that this week.

ZMan Nope you weren't...it shoots a little different with it being slightly heavy on the top/slide...but easy to adjust to.

I will post any websites with Holster info that I find :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    ZMan Nope you weren't...it shoots a little different with it being slightly heavy on the top/slide...but easy to adjust to.

I will post any websites with Holster info that I find :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gunny. Yes, it's a lot different from what I'm accustomed to shooting but the sights are dead-nuts-on and the trigger is amazing. The trigger is as good as the Q5 Match, if not, slightly better IMHO.

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me, though, is how comfortably the PPQ 45 shoots. I was expecting more recoil and more difficulty reacquiring targets on quick follow-up shots but the PPQ 45 has proved both assumptions false. Recoil is very manageable with 230gr FMJ range ammo. If my last pin match was any example of how difficult it is to aim and fire follow-up shots, it works as well for me as any 1911 I've used for the same purpose. I'm looking forward to taking it to another pin match very soon but want to get some more practice-time in first.

As far as mods go, I'm all for altering these cookie-cutter polymer pistols and making them your own but did you ever have a pistol that shot so well that you were reluctant to mess with it? That's where I'm at right now with the PPQ 45. I'd like to set mine up similarly to AJVeira's but I get a little uncomfortable messing with triggers and sights. Maybe I'll change my mind after awhile.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=208138&highlight=ppq

I really like that set-up.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Holster for Pistol with or w/o Lite/Laser...listed, Still searching though because I am also looking for my CZ P07/ P09 being it will maybe my CCW when I get settled in WV.

There are sights out there too...

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=WP101-C-600738

http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={0B7B71C6-C5C1-4011-93AE-A79C7B82AF8B}&details_type=1&itemid={9A13C89E-37D8-40E3-A025-E4E83E0E0CB9}

http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-handgun-sights.asp

https://www.candgholsters.com/product/owb-tactical-kydex-holster-combo/

https://www.tampabayholsters.com/

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/all-products/make-walther+model-walther-ppq-45

I won't be messing with the Trigger, but sights and Holster are the only mods I will be doing.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Finally was able to give a few of my fellow MDS'ers the opportunity to shoot the PPQ 45 during the last couple of weeks - Fidelity, DA, Outrider58 - and I welcome their comments in this thread.

qlRBdD4.jpg

25 yards, 25 rounds, S&B 230gr FMJ

Outrider, DA and myself were at Damascus IWLA last weekend messing-around with AR's and I brought along the PPQ 45. Normally, I'm OK with just keeping it on paper at 25 yards, particularly a pistol I've only owned for a couple of months and have little experience shooting outdoors at targets greater than 10 yards away. This thing makes it too easy. As much as I love my 1911's, I would be lying if I said that I could shoot better with either one of them compared to the PPQ 45. The most difficult thing has been getting accustomed to the difference in triggers.

While the PPQ 45 has an insanely short reset, there's a lot of initial take-up that messed-with me (at first) but now that I've been able to run 500+ rounds thru it, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Yeah, it's an amazing trigger compared to the other striker-fired pistols I own. Fidelity agrees with me that it's 'better' (in terms of weight and crispness) than either the Q5 Match or 9mm PPQ. To me, it seems about 1lb+ lighter than either my 5" PPQ or Steyr L9A1. The pistol fits my hand so well that it's all but impossible to veer off-target by simply operating the trigger. No, if I miss with the PPQ 45 it's because I either flinched or my sight picture was out of line.

Bowling pin match #2 coming up later this morning. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Quite an enjoyable pistol to shoot...then again, it was shoot that or shoot a S&W 'Govna' in 410 with home defense ammo or a .454 Casull :lol2:

Really though, it was fun shooting PPQ 45. Having not shot any handguns larger than .22 for the last few years, the day brought back fond memories. The trigger didn't bother me at all. I likened it to a two stage AR trigger with respect to the 'take-up'. Felt like I was back on my 300Blk w/ Geissele trigger.

Zzzz, we'll have to do that again. Maybe I'll drag a couple pistolas out of my safe too! :thumbsup:

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Went back this afternoon to try a few more shots:

JfT41UZ.jpg

10 yards, 25 rounds, standing offhand
    Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ

34ZyF2E.jpg
    ZDd0U3m.jpg

10 yards, 25 rounds, standing offhand
    Geco 230gr FMJ

The PPQ 45 continues to impress me with its accuracy and great trigger. That's about as good as I can shoot any handgun at that distance, including my Colt Python with .38 target loads.

Good grief that gun is accurate as hell!

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    No doubt, not too slight the z man but the gun has to have the potential for the shooter to execute right? I guess the walther and the z man are sweet shooters.

After the m&p40c imma probably look into getting a ppq45 since I got me a new great paying job, figures I'll treat myself to the m&p40c a fellow member here is holding for me and then grab a walther ppq and then im done for the year...... Maybe

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

Had a lot of fun today! The members of Monocacy Pistol Club run a very safe, professional match and it's always a pleasure to shoot with them. Two things always happen: I learn something new and I meet some very nice people. If I didn't travel 225+ days per year for my job, I'd join MPC in a heartbeat.

My performance was just so-so today. I averaged a little under 10 seconds for four relays if you throw-out my worst time. Meh. I'm capable of doing a couple of seconds per-relay faster than that when I'm on my A-game, which I most assuredly was not today. I was flinching. I was aiming too high. I kept spinning the damn pins and not knocking them completely off the table. It was just one of those days when all I could do was laugh at my own incompetence, it was so bad.

The PPQ 45 was smooth as silk, though. It's hands-down my favorite .45 ACP and my go-to pistol for everything, including fun at the range.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Quite an enjoyable pistol to shoot...then again, it was shoot that or shoot a S&W 'Govna' in 410 with home defense ammo or a .454 Casull :lol2:

Really though, it was fun shooting PPQ 45. Having not shot any handguns larger than .22 for the last few years, the day brought back fond memories. The trigger didn't bother me at all. I likened it to a two stage AR trigger with respect to the 'take-up'. Felt like I was back on my 300Blk w/ Geissele trigger.

Zzzz, we'll have to do that again. Maybe I'll drag a couple pistolas out of my safe too! :thumbsup:

One of the best range days I've had all year. Thanks again to you and DA for letting me try your .300 Blk's.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Defense Load Testing

NGlZXPK.jpg

Update: Figured it was about time to test the PPQ 45 with something besides 230gr FMJ range ammo so, among all the other things Fidelity, Blaster229 and I tested at Frederick IWLA yesterday we also took time to run a few rounds of Federal 230gr HST and Cor Bon 165gr JHP +P.

qkKILpg.jpg

Federal 230gr. HST, 10 yards
    (Blaster's group top right)

Shooting defense loads can get kinda pricy real fast if you don't find them on-sale somewhere and the week before last I was able to get 20-round boxes of Federal 230gr HST for $12.99 and 20-round boxes of Cor Bon for $16.96 (with free shipping over $49) from Sportsman's Guide. I bought four boxes of each.

wo4cg1K.jpg

Cor Bon 165gr JHP +P, 10 yards

The Cor Bon load was surprising. I was expecting recoil to be godawful in the PPQ 45 shooting a +P defense round and for the 165gr bullet to shoot slightly higher than the 230gr Federal HST but, it wasn't that bad and I guess I was over-compensating by aiming low (6 o'clock) because the first shot went low and left. The other 10 shots went pretty much where I was aiming.

The PPQ 45 continues to impress me as the best striker-fired pistol I've ever had the pleasure of shooting, let alone, owning. It has been 100% reliable for me with every load I've tried in it. The trigger is phenomenal but, when a retired-LEO says it would be something they would EDC, well, that's a better, more credible endorsement than I could ever give it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom