• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Apologizes on throwing a curve, is there a difference on pistol gas system versus a carbine gas system. Looking to do a build as well.

Q

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Apologizes on throwing a curve, is there a difference on pistol gas system versus a carbine gas system. Looking to do a build as well.

Q

Originally, pistol gas length was optimal for being able to run subsonic or supersonic ammo with the least amount of fine tuning. Barrels with carbine length gas systems typically had too small of a gas port to run subsonic ammo with reliability. Some makers have claimed to rectify that issue, but no firsthand experience personally.

If subsonic ammo/suppression isn't even a concern - then I'd say go with whatever floats your boat. But, I haven't found any solid reason to not go with a pistol length gas system on a 300BO. Just seems to make life easier, even if you do go with an adjustable gas block.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Originally, pistol gas length was optimal for being able to run subsonic or supersonic ammo with the least amount of fine tuning. Barrels with carbine length gas systems typically had too small of a gas port to run subsonic ammo with reliability. Some makers have claimed to rectify that issue, but no firsthand experience personally.

If subsonic ammo/suppression isn't even a concern - then I'd say go with whatever floats your boat. But, I haven't found any solid reason to not go with a pistol length gas system on a 300BO. Just seems to make life easier, even if you do go with an adjustable gas block.

To tag along on what BraMacc said, if you are planing a pistol or SBR build, to go with any gas system longer than pistol, you will drastically shorten 'dwell time' which will affect cycling and reliability. 16" and longer barrel should not be a problem though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom