• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I am a new fanboy of the caliber 6.5 Creedmoor for precision shooting. The caliber is extremely flat shooting, easy on the shoulder and is more than powerful enough for deer hunting.
    I bought an entry level Thompson Center Compass in 6.5CM with a Vortex 3-9x40 for $365. That rifle is far more accurate than I am.
    The Savage Axis seems to be the choice of most for a quality rifle on a budget. Listen to the people who mentioned don't skimp on the optics.

OP, all advice has been good so far. This highlighted portion of Square Grouper’s post is the most important advice for you I think (as well as for most of us not named Chris Kyle or Carlos Hathcock actually). I’ll second SG’s advice for the Thompson Center, a co-worker that’s an occasional shooter is already punching 2” to sometimes less at 200 yds with the same setup SG proposed. And that’s not too bad. BTW, 200 yards isn’t 1,000 yards like you hear on TV, but it’s a farther poke than you think if you’ve never shot it.

I still haven’t picked up on if you’re new to shooting in general, rifle shooting specifically, hunting, or precision rifle shooting. Forgive me if I’m incorrect but I’m assuming you’re new to rifle shooting in general. All of the suggested inexpensive rifle and rifle/optics packages are all claimed to be capable of right around MOA accuracy (or 1” groups at 100 yds). Those rifles are all capable of that accuracy with some skill/practice on your end, to at least 200 yds.

Unless you are a member at a private range, most public ranges are gonna top you out at either 100 or 200 yards. You should get proficient at those ranges, then you should be good to go to give some hunting a try. Most hunting shots in MD are taken at less than 150 yards anyway (if I got the statistic # correct - if not I’m close). After mastering shooting at these distances, along with your shooting techniques including posture, grip, breathing, trigger squeeze, and positions such as prone, kneeling, standing, etc, you’ll probably have “ the bug” and then you’ll get into all the more advanced (and silly expensive) stuff, then you’ll be driving hundreds of miles to a range where you can stretch out to the longer distances. You’ll start experimenting with different ammos, hand loading, buying new rifles, building new rifles, etc....

Good luck with your new (& soon to be expensive hobby :) ). There’s some great advice on this forum. I hope I was of some help to you as well.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I second (third) those suggesting lighter calibers. I would not go for a 300 win mag, or anything over a 308 at first. Even 30-06 can be harsh for beginners and its also expensive to shoot. If you are new, you do not want to develop flinch. Personally, I'd suggest 223, 308, or another common cheap to shoot caliber. I'd avoid Remington, they just went into bankruptcy and they have suffered recalls on triggers. Cant go wrong with a Savage or Browning. i'd avoid specialty calibers - they are expensive to shoot. You are looking for a good trigger and a free float barrel, if you can find it in your budget.

I agree in principle, but I learned to shoot rifles on a Remington 700 in 30-06 and have no flinch. The Remington Sendero tames the 300 Win Mag to the level of a .308.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is Smith and Wesson next because it was used in Parkland? Wow! If true, this state is crazier than I thought if it can ban a whole brand of firearms. Sounds illegal.

2013 firearm safety act is unconstitutional. But you won’t see SCOTUS take it up.

So yeah, Bushmaster is banned by name. All of them.

OP, get a decent 22lr like a Ruger American Rimfire with an inexpensive scope and then get something like a Ruger American in .308 with a nice $200-400 scope.

A Tika T3 in .308 or 6.5 Creedmor would also be a good way to go. Gives you something accurate to practice with a lot and something that you can work at longer range and for hunting.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm still confused about why the OP referred to a "sniper rifle" instead of a "deer hunting rifle" or a "varmint hunting rifle".

I'm thinking OP probably meant either 'tactical' or 'precision' rifle and just substituted the word, 'sniper' because he wasn't familiar with the proper jargon.

My first 'tactical' rifle was a Remington 700 PSS in .308 with a very pricy 6x24/50 Burris Silhouette scope with a dial-in bullet drop compensator. I paid roughly $1700 in mid-1980's $$$ for it and another $200 for a hard case and a Harris bi-pod.

However, it most definitely wasn't my first rifle. No, I had owned many deer/varmint rifles prior to taking the plunge into tactical bolt action rifles and NRA steel silhouette shooting. The key word there is many but the rifle that really taught me the basics of marksmanship with a bolt action rifle was a Remington 581S .22LR with a roached-out wood stock. To this day, it was the most accurate firearm I've ever owned.

You've already been given some good advice here. I'll side with those recommending a basic rig in a caliber that won't cost you your left kidney to shoot and practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Don't worry about the "basic" rifles not being up to a task.

A cheap Ruger American can, and will, make long range hits.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    The Thompson Center Venture in .308 is an inexpensive option that out of the box is very accurate. Drop some good glass on it.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Where do you begin with a title like this thread has?

Get a rem 700 308 with a scope and shoot it until you out shoot it. Then upgrade from there.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    From another forum I belong to;

View attachment 397075 Like new, 40 rounds fired.

FDE Remington 700 VTR in .308 comes with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x scope, bipod, Vortex Med Rings and Vortex Scope cover.

$975 Cash or Trade.
    Trades interested in-
    1911s
    Glocks
    Optics
    Mini 14/30
    Other guns comparable in value

Will ship FFL to FFL for $30

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads