• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • To Hogarth-
    Where did you purchase your Trek? I'm starting to get back into riding, and this bike has really caught my eye. Also, how much did it set you back, if you don't mind my asking? I know the MSRP is around $650, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the out-the-door price would be from a local shop. Thanks.
    Squig

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    Diamondback Topanga comp.

i use to ride everyday,then i got married and havent ridden in at least 5 yrs now.

i am getting the itch to ride though.
    have a weekend planned at new germany state park this month.
    sounds like the time.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    To Hogarth-
    Where did you purchase your Trek? I'm starting to get back into riding, and this bike has really caught my eye. Also, how much did it set you back, if you don't mind my asking? I know the MSRP is around $650, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the out-the-door price would be from a local shop. Thanks.
    Squig

Hey there,

I got mine back in September, so almost a year ago...it's a 2010 model. I'd have to dig up the receipt, but I know I spent under $600 for it....maybe $579? Something like that.

I got mine at Joe's Bike Shop, the Mt. Washington branch (there's also one in Fell's Point). Nice shop. I go by the old "when in doubt, choose the store where all the kids work", b/c kids in bike shops EAT AND BREATHE BIKES, and so therefore know what they talk about. Plenty of them at Joe's, including my back door neighbor's kid. It's a nice shop. Small, but a nice little selection and they can get anything they don't have. They seem to deal mainly in Trek and Gary Fisher. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't know if they sell anything else. Purchasing the bike there gets you 2 years of free service (which is like 6 services a year, including a couple of major overhauls). Also, it's the kind of place you can go in, as I did after my bad crash two weeks ago, with something bent or broken, and they'll just fix it with no questions asked (this last time, it was just some kid who fixed it, and he'd never seen me before so had no idea whether or not I even bought the bike there). Definitely a place I'd recommend.

Just about a year in, I'm VERY happy with this bike. It's regarded as pretty low-end, but nothing on it has broken that I didn't break due to stupidity (falling to my right at Raystown Lake and catching the rear derailleur on a pointy rock being one....that would have happened to any bike). If I'd had a bit more to spend I might have gone up into the 6000 series, but then you're getting up close to a grand or beyond, depending on the model.

Only upgrades I've done to mine are the bar ends (which I like, though current trends seem to regard these as SO 1990's!) and Shimano clipless pedals and shoes to go with them.

Feel free to PM me or post here with more questions.

Here is Joe's website:

http://www.mtwashingtonbikes.com/

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Is anyone doing the Cranky Monkey Race at Schaeffer this weekend?

By the way, just FYI, a 53 year old guy, a long time racer, dropped dead at the race with a heart attack. Other racers gave him CPR, but it was all for nought. Poor guy.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    By the way, just FYI, a 53 year old guy, a long time racer, dropped dead at the race with a heart attack. Other racers gave him CPR, but it was all for nought. Poor guy.

Yeah, his age group was one of the last waves. I heard the sirens about 15 min into the race. Very, very sad.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Necro thread. Anybody else go to the bike swap in Westminster? Get any good deals? I picked up a HiFi 29er that I'm really happy with, will be trying it out as soon as it warms up just a tad.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    This is my mountin bike, it's a bit old but gets the job done.

Attachments

• bike1_small.jpg
      bike1_small.jpg
      18.7 KB · Views: 128

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I haven't been riding much. Staying in half decent shape, but nothing compared to a fast hour in the woods dodging trees.

I loved Gambrill, but it would clean my clock today. Yellow trail, or out and back on the blue...I was 10 years younger, too. Now all I think about it is guns...:D

I'd like to hit Schaffer in the next few months just to see how out of it I am. Pick a date.:thumbsup:

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I ride as my main mode of transport (no, not because I lost my license...at least not yet!) and, having lived and mountain biked out west, find it tough to find good trails here. My solution (and my bike): a fixed-gear 1990's Gary Fisher hard-tail. It makes ALL trails a challenge. Patapsco State Park is a great place and Black Hills Regional Park in Mont. Cty is not too bad. Riding is like shooting, you get to have cool gear and practice a lot!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pfft, I have a 1996 Specialized Ground Control I've ridden a grand total of 8 times. I need to inflate the tires again and try riding it. Nice bike, but it's too big for me.

Jim

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Weather permitting, I hope to hit Schaeffer and Fair Hill the week around Easter when I'm off from work (I'm a teacher). I gotta get myself back into shape. The birth of my twins and an injury to my shoulder have kept me off my bike for months. In June, when I'm off again for 1.5 weeks or so, I hope to again hit Fair Hill, Schaeffer, and maybe Raystown Lake again, and then keep biking to get my wind up in order to compete in the 13+ mile race at Fair Hill in mid July.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    At this point I'm just trying to get my rides in whenever I can....I went out Wednesday night at 7:15 (Loch Raven) for an hour before dark.....I usually go out once on the weekends and once during the week.....Fair Hill Classic XC/MTB race is July 10th, and this year I'm doing the 14.46 mile race.....gotta get my leg strength and wind up.

I'm off for 2 weeks at the end of June and am planning at least one Schaeffer and one Fair Hill ride in there.....might go other places, too, if I have time.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    At this point I'm just trying to get my rides in whenever I can....I went out Wednesday night at 7:15 (Loch Raven) for an hour before dark.....I usually go out once on the weekends and once during the week.....Fair Hill Classic XC/MTB race is July 10th, and this year I'm doing the 14.46 mile race.....gotta get my leg strength and wind up.

I'm off for 2 weeks at the end of June and am planning at least one Schaeffer and one Fair Hill ride in there.....might go other places, too, if I have time.

When I was racing, (back in the bio-pace days :lol2:) I remember training leading up to a race. If I took off training the 3 days prior to a race it was just a great rest period that worked for me. YMMV

If I went out with you now I would just screw up your training schedule.:sad20:

Biopace: http://search.creativecommons.org/?q=bio-pace&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom