• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mando

Jun 26, 2019
    Phoenix AZ
    [Moved from Gunsmithing as I thought it would better fit here]

Hey y'all, I'd love your input and/or improvement or any tips you have for me. I've spent the last 3 months diving into what I haven't known about ARs and came out with this:

SPECS:

Barrel:
    -12.5 inch
    -NOT Govt cut (only one I found)
    -223 Wylde / 556
    -1:8 rifling
    -carbine length gas system
    -Light / mid weight
    -NOT 4140 metal
    -Low profile gas block

Handguard:
    -11" (or very close)
    -Free float
    -M-Lok
    (I can do the work to replace it if it can't be helped)

Muzzle:
    -Bare or surefire warcomp preferred
    -A2 is ok if it can't be helped.
    -NOT permenantly affixed

BCG:
    -Toolcraft M16 BCG Nitride
    -(Recommendations requested)

Accessories: (Open to other options)
    -SBA4 brace
    -Replaced with the Gunfighter charging handle.
    -B.A.D. lever (OR Forward Design EMR-A and the Geiselle Marintime Bolt Catch have been recommended, after filing the steel maritime boltcatch?)
    -Mbus irons (Until I save for a reputable and budget-worthy red dot)
    -AFG style grip till I find something I like more
    -Probably a magpul pistol grip (have not had exposure to much else)

Now onto the questions/issues I have yet to hash out.

The Adjustable gas block has been a topic of discussion. One end of the group always loves the options you get with one, the other despises it and it has always failed them, usually the more seasoned and DHS armory tester kind of guys. I'm still somewhat debating to get a low profile or an adjustable, and will probably get both, as it will need to be removed and cleaned more often anyway, if I don't like the meticulous habit, I can throw on the 15-30 dollar low profile block instead.
    PROS
    Helps the system when switching between using 223 and 556
    Helps if ever using a suppressor down the line
    Could fix an engineering mistake on my part instead of being stuck with the wrong size gas block
    Can help lengthen the life of internals
    Can help keep the rifle running when dirty
    May help reduce excess recoil

CONS
    "Is heavier than a non-adjustable by 3 oz, plus or minus.
    Gets dirty and unadjustable, needing dis-and-ass on a more regular basis" - Rik
    "Every one I've used has broken or failed" - Hollywood

That's one, and the other, more main issue, is the decision:
    TO BUILD, OR NOT TO BUILD?

I can order all these parts, but I might kill my savings with shipping charges. I haven't contacted my local gunshops about it, maybe they can cut me a deal. But the closest upper is the Bravo Company 12.5, but this has a few discrepancies that I might be able to live with. (1:7 TR, Govt Profile Barrel, no adjustable gas block if I decide I want one)

As for the lower, I made a thread HERE about looking for one.

And here is where I wait for all of your input on any and all particular points. I almost beg for input. Everything is a datapoint to help make a well informed decision, but it obviously needs to be informative instead of only opinionated (which is why I'm here cause my current outlets are like pulling teeth for information). I strive on criticism, so let me have it.

Changes / losses made from the time of original post:
    -Radian Raptor or Strike Industries(?)
    -Nickel Boron BCG
    -Adjustable Gas Block
    -

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have an adjustable gas block on only one AR, and it's a competition AR with a lightened BCG. I wouldn't use one for anything I'd stake my life on.

There have been enough problems with Nickel Boron BCGs that I avoid them. Get a standard M-16 BCG made by Toolcraft.

MBUS are BACKUP sights. If that's all you're going to use, as in no optics, get some fixed sights.

Mando

Jun 26, 2019
    Phoenix AZ
    I would like to be educated in the pitfalls of Nickel Boron if you would be so kind.

And the MBUS would be backups, once I get an optic. The thing about my budget is that I plan to leave the optic for a few months while I save more. Something to come later, you know.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Most adjustable gas bloks are junk. Only one is trustworthy in my experience and that is SLR. The newest versions have a upgraded adjuster and proper chromed leaf spring.

The SLR requires maintenance. After using it you need to add a drop of oil and work the adjuster to prevent carbon lock. Beyond that, they are very reliable if the gun is ported properly and the gas block is mounted with a bore scope.

An AGB is not great for a machinegun, but otherwise it's trustworthy IF you maintain it.

As far as NiB goes, go to the School of the American Rifle section and read my write-up about NiB. It's terrible.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I would like to be educated in the pitfalls of Nickel Boron if you would be so kind.

And the MBUS would be backups, once I get an optic. The thing about my budget is that I plan to leave the optic for a few months while I save more. Something to come later, you know.

If budget is a major issue, you can snag a Sig Romeo 5 for barely a meal at Applebee's more than what an MBUS set will cost you, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Romeo 5. If you're just building a range toy and have no illusions about being an operator operating operationally with it, there's nothing wrong with getting an RDS 1st and snagging a set of largely cosmetic back-up sights later once you're a couple paychecks removed from the sting of the build.

As for the gas block, the question is whether you'd have a reliable gun that's somewhat overgassed, as all carbine-length guns inherently are, meaning you're going to want to run a beefier buffer spring so it doesn't beat itself to pieces, or whether you'd prefer a somewhat more delicate and finessed cycle that trades reliability and for having a gun that shoots like a rifle-length AR rather than like an AK or something equally over-gassed the way a carbine-length AR can.

I usually stick with fixed gas blocks, and the only time I've gone adjustable was on my 14"-barreled AR-10 range toy, because carbine-length gas systems and .308 are a match made in hell for internals. That said, I went with an SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 and once I got it dialed in, it cycles everything from shitty 7.62 Tulammo to .308 hunting loads with about the same degree of reliability as my Vepr 12, so I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

EDIT: Damnit, Clandestine beat me to it on the SLR front. They're pricey, but worth it.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Assemble your lower, buy a complete upper. My second AR was a build from the ground up. All were high quality parts and total came to around 2k. I simply could not get the upper together and tried everything I could think of, but the tolerances were too tight. Had to take it to Chad to have him do it for me, and he ended up having to drill out the gas port on top of my other issues. YMMV, but I would look at just buying a complete upper unless you really want to get into building ARs (Take Chad's course!). I just ordered an upper from https://www.blackstonearms.com/ and have been very happy with the process and support from the company (small shop in Texas that does ARPerformance barrels). It arrives on Monday.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'm 6'4" ish.. the pistol stabilizing braces that are out there.. are too small short. Even at full extension the 458 SOCOM or 300blk is brain rattling to shoot hahaha. but i do love my 24" bull barrel 223 Wylde. Groundhogs hate it and while i wouldn't do it.. it IS deer legal in Maryland.

I think my feedback on to build or not, depends on your philosophy of use (POU). I LOVE the short pistol ar for deer hunting under 50y. 95% of my shooting is 200-600 yards though. With no interest in a "safe queen" or whatever it's called.. i ask what's the POU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom