• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I would like to get an SKS. Anyone know of a shop in Central Md (I live in Severn) that has one or where i should focus. Any first hand recommendations. I've been reading about the Yugo, Norinco and Russian comparisons and other info but i've only shot one before and it had been re-stocked, (tacticool arrgghh) and honestly don't remember the manufacturer. Oh and several years ago i let my C&R lapse.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They are like potato chips.

Seriously any will do well. Price just varies.

Keep your eyes open you can still get a nice Russian rebuild for $500 or so. Yugos around $400 to $500 though like many things Yugo they feel cruder and heavy.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I would like to get an SKS. Anyone know of a shop in Central Md (I live in Severn) that has one or where i should focus. Any first hand recommendations. I've been reading about the Yugo, Norinco and Russian comparisons and other info but i've only shot one before and it had been re-stocked, (tacticool arrgghh) and honestly don't remember the manufacturer. Oh and several years ago i let my C&R lapse.

We have multiple ones in stock, stop by Wednesday evening or make an appointment with us to come check them out.

Brian

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Then there were the ban years when all things imported were cut off..………..even then $150 would buy you a nice one.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have a Yugo with Grenade launcher and the blade (?) bayonet. I have at least 10 stripper clips. And SOME ammo.
    Never fired it. I need to list it on the for sale as soon as I get pics. Getting old and realizing what is and what will never be.
    The SKS I will never use. It looked SO COOL on the wall in my office, bayonet extended, above a doorway.
    I really can't believe my wife put up with that.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017

Here ya go!

https://www.classicfirearms.com/chinese-sks-rifle-762x39/

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Gawd, I remember going to a guy's house here in Southern Maryland to buy one. He said follow me and in his garage he had to have had 4-5 CRATES of SKS'! $90 a piece. Told me to choose one from the open crate he had...

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I don't mind cleaning cosmoline out of a rifle at all. Kind of enjoy it actually. Like unwrapping presents at Christmas.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I don't mind cleaning cosmoline out of a rifle at all. Kind of enjoy it actually. Like unwrapping presents at Christmas.

Yep, unwrapping inexpensive and nice shooting relics coated with gobs of cosmoline can be a lot of fun...

Ah, the aroma of cosmoline... It never fades...

:)

Attachments

• Goopy Parts DSC00305.jpg
      Goopy Parts DSC00305.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 378
    • Goopy Parts DSC00306.jpg
      Goopy Parts DSC00306.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 370
    • Finished R.jpg
      Finished R.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 377

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yep, unwrapping inexpensive and nice shooting relics coated with gobs of cosmoline can be a lot of fun...

Ah, the aroma of cosmoline... It never fades...

:)

WOW!

I thought the two cosmolined guns I’ve bought were lousy with it.

Okay, only my M57. Not near that bad. In fact I probably could have shot it without failing to run. Maybe. Might have been too sluggish.

My SKS was, as near could tell either not shot by the owner or maybe only a couple of times. Never out of the stock, that much I could tell. Visible metal it was mostly cleaned up. Under the stock still coated in cosmoline. Plenty on/in the bolt carrier and bolt. So not shot enough to melt and run it all out of the bolt and carrier.

He bought it in the early 90s. Late model Norinco factory 26 (I think I figured it was built around ‘75 or ‘76).

Other one I have partially constructed is an early factory 36 receiver.

My complete 26 shoots 1MOA with Wolf military classic ammo at 50yds...

2.5MOA with most other loads, but it loves the military classic for some reason.

Before and after of it. Stock was kind of rough, but metal good. Original gas tube Handguard was missing. So I found a replacement, sanded and stained them to match. I love the color of the common Chinese catalpa wood (most of them are stained orange though, not the raw wood color).

Attachments

• 824C688B-15BC-40B3-B139-15FFCEE71C6B.jpg
      824C688B-15BC-40B3-B139-15FFCEE71C6B.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 373
    • E79EB7EC-4248-4DB3-973A-44BF7D4CDB65.jpg
      E79EB7EC-4248-4DB3-973A-44BF7D4CDB65.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 353

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members