• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That looks easy enough. I’ll have to go to the hardware store and pickup some materials.
    I have the handyman skills of a toddler playing on one of these. You'll be fine :thumbsup:
    iu

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That looks easy enough. I’ll have to go to the hardware store and pickup some materials.

If you make it out of PVC make sure you always have a few couplings, short lengths of PVC and something to cut it with. Trust me, you will need it!

Also a solid base or tent pegs to hold the base secure, a little bit of wind will blow over a PVC target stand pretty easily

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you make it out of PVC make sure you always have a few couplings, short lengths of PVC and something to cut it with. Trust me, you will need it!

Also a solid base or tent pegs to hold the base secure, a little bit of wind will blow over a PVC target stand pretty easily

Or a couple of sand bags left over from Florence.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I was there Monday , testing out the new stands. The PVC stand were blowing over with the wind.
    I made ours off 2 inch tube 1/8th thick 23 inches long each end is capped with angle iron 2X2X1/8 23 inches long. On the side of the tube I welded Stake Pockets (from a trailer) . Only thing that sucks is the stake pockets I bought were suppose to be 3 1/2 inches but were actually only 3 inches so I had to rip the 2X4's down.

bulldog54

Jul 8, 2013
    Elk Neck Gun Range

Elk Neck Gun Range is a great place to shoot.You have to stop by the maintenance shed before you drive to the range. Fill out the application along with the $10.00 Range fee. Keep your receipt from the application. Proceed to the range. There is a 100 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol range. On weekends they have firearm safety officers. Most of them are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about firearms. They did have one safety officer who pulled out a tape rule and measured the center of my target to the ground. It was a quarter inch low from the four foot minimum. I had to raise the target a quarter of an inch. So I got out my tape rule and measured exactly one quarter of an inch just to make him happy. I'm just glad that when I placed my target down range at a hundred yards. He didn't remeasure it because of the imprint on the ground from someones shoes lowered it back down a quarter of an inch. I hope he is not reading this because I'm sure he will call the DNR police to investigate.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Elk Neck Gun Range is a great place to shoot.You have to stop by the maintenance shed before you drive to the range. Fill out the application along with the $10.00 Range fee. Keep your receipt from the application. Proceed to the range. There is a 100 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol range. On weekends they have firearm safety officers. Most of them are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about firearms. They did have one safety officer who pulled out a tape rule and measured the center of my target to the ground. It was a quarter inch low from the four foot minimum. I had to raise the target a quarter of an inch. So I got out my tape rule and measured exactly one quarter of an inch just to make him happy. I'm just glad that when I placed my target down range at a hundred yards. He didn't remeasure it because of the imprint on the ground from someones shoes lowered it back down a quarter of an inch. I hope he is not reading this because I'm sure he will call the DNR police to investigate.

I bet I could pick the RSO that did that.

Coope79

Aug 10, 2018
    I've shot at Elk neck a few times, I can't complain about it, just one time had to deal with a range nazi. Yeah weekdays are pretty empty

1970swifty

Oct 14, 2011
    Elkton,MD

The minimum to center of target is 54 inches not 48

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    Can anyone explain the target height and why it even matters? And how bored the RSO is to even measure that....

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    They want the rounds to impact into the berm, not bounce off the ground and over the berm, or be so high they go right over.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Can anyone explain the target height and why it even matters? And how bored the RSO is to even measure that....

Ditto what the last two posts were. They also want to stop rounds from hitting the baffles and posts that support them. They get shot to hell all the time. My guess is that if the target height is 54” at any yardage it will reduce damage to the range and also make rounds impact the berm.

As far as measuring, there was an RSO there a while back that was a real stickler for the rules. He was the type of guy that wanted everyone to know he was in charge and didn’t care what anyone thought. If I had to guess it was that RSO. Not saying that is good or bad because you can never be too safe on the range, but that guy REALLY enjoyed it.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Ditto what the last two posts were. They also want to stop rounds from hitting the baffles and posts that support them. They get shot to hell all the time. My guess is that if the target height is 54” at any yardage it will reduce damage to the range and also make rounds impact the berm.

As far as measuring, there was an RSO there a while back that was a real stickler for the rules. He was the type of guy that wanted everyone to know he was in charge and didn’t care what anyone thought. If I had to guess it was that RSO. Not saying that is good or bad because you can never be too safe on the range, but that guy REALLY enjoyed it.

You are correct on the 54" being the height needed to avoid hitting the baffles and to not fall short of the back stop. Our RSO staff are asked to ensure the target center is checked or adjusted as needed.

cecilcu92

Feb 5, 2010
    Harford Co
    maintenance

Someone told me that ENSF range would be closed for maintenance sometime this month, but I don't see any details anywhere. Does anyone know the dates or any other details?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I have not heard anything about a maintenance closure. I’m scheduled for RSO duty next month so hopefully an announcement would be forthcoming if this was true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom