• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I never bothered with the entire kit. The hard sear, ram and aek trigger make a world of difference on their own.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Paging Smokey...

If I recall, he uses the drop-in Apex trigger on all his M&P's and he loves them. Forgive me; I don't know all the specifics. I think you may be able to get away with spending less and be very happy with the improvements. I'm sure Smokey will be along shortly to make up for my inadequate post. :D

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I have several M&P's with the duty and one M&P with the Comp kit.

These kits dramatically improve the the trigger over the stock trigger.

If you are also looking for more felt and audible reset of the trigger then you want to install a RAM also.

Do you have any specific questions about either the duty, comp kits, or the RAM?

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I have the DCAEK installed on my M&P9. Since I have a thumb safety, I do not have the RAM. The trigger feels much better since installing the DCAEK. Still not as crisp as a stock Glock, but maybe it gets there with the RAM.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How did the hard sear, ram and aek trigger work out for you?

In the .357 SIG model, it worked out very well. I haven't gauged the pull, but if I had to ball park it, it's well under 5 pounds and vastly improved over stock in general.

On my .45 model, I just did the Hard Sear and the AEK Trigger, that ended up getting me a dead on the nose 3.5 pound trigger, that has made trigger whores contemplate picking up an M&P for themselves. Matter of fact, I know of at least 1 person that HAS picked up an M&P for themselves after fondling the .45 for a few minutes, Apex parts will be going into their's as well.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Anybody tried the Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK)? It's supposed to make the M&P trigger shoot better. I'm thinking of getting it.

http://www.apextactical.com/services.php

How do you like it?

From my limited experience, I have been very happy with most Apex products. I have 4 M&P's... one with Apex FSS kit and RAM, one with the hard sear, RAM and a self-modified striker block and two with RAMs, sears I cut myself and striker blocks I did myself.

The bottom line is that there is much improvement to be gained from the M&P trigger with some real simple mods. Your priority should be the RAM (if your gun will take one). That is the weakest point of the M&P trigger IMO. If I did nothing else, I would put this part in. Next, in order of importance is the striker block. Polishing (or installing a USB) takes 90% of the trigger grit away if combined with a trigger bar polish in the right spots. Finally, replacing the sear with the Apex hard sear (or cutting your own) changes the gross characteristics of the trigger pull. Apex with give you faster break after trigger take up, much quicker reset and lightened pull (by taking most of the striker’s backwards movement out of the trigger)... the downsides are increased pre travel and over travel.

If you plan to do any custom work and have any specific questions, please let me know… while I am not a gunsmith, I’ve done a fair amount with these guns and I’m happy to teach others what I learned from my f-ups.

Also, see this thread on the FSS install: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79061

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    From my limited experience, I have been very happy with most Apex products. I have 4 M&P's... one with Apex FSS kit and RAM, one with the hard sear, RAM and a self-modified striker block and two with RAMs, sears I cut myself and striker blocks I did myself.

The bottom line is that there is much improvement to be gained from the M&P trigger with some real simple mods. Your priority should be the RAM (if your gun will take one). That is the weakest point of the M&P trigger IMO. If I did nothing else, I would put this part in. Next, in order of importance is the striker block. Polishing (or installing a USB) takes 90% of the trigger grit away if combined with a trigger bar polish in the right spots. Finally, replacing the sear with the Apex hard sear (or cutting your own) changes the gross characteristics of the trigger pull. Apex with give you faster break after trigger take up, much quicker reset and lightened pull (by taking most of the striker’s backwards movement out of the trigger)... the downsides are increased pre travel and over travel.

If you plan to do any custom work and have any specific questions, please let me know… while I am not a gunsmith, I’ve done a fair amount with these guns and I’m happy to teach others what I learned from my f-ups.

Also, see this thread on the FSS install: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79061

Good thread and agree completely that the RAM and Striker block are 1 & 2 in order of importance.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=23142
    Within this thread on the m&p pro some nerd posted, is his description on how he improved the trigger without the apex kit.

zyo81

Jan 6, 2013
    I had the dcaek on my m&p40. It helped it feel less gritty and reduced pull however not sure it's worth the money. I believe at the time it was 90 dollars.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Said nerds :D (alucard) post was a great one.

Heres the link to Burwells Trigger Job for those "Do it Yourselvers"

That PDF is great! Pretty much everything I have done and more . Thanks for sharing.

I had considered putting something like that together a while ago, but I was afraid that people would f-up their guns and then blame for their non-working and/or unsafe results. :sad20: I'm glad this info is out there...

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was able to find the DCAEK (Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit) for $72 and the RAM (Reset Assist Mechanism) for $19 last June, and installed them on my FS .40 M&P. The one exception was the trigger return spring, which I left stock, to reduce the pull, which is now around 4 and 1/2 pounds. The travel is reduced, and there is a definite reset (which, quite frankly, I never notice when I'm actually firing my pistol), but the reduced trigger pull allows me to fire without moving the front sight (which was causing me to shoot low and left -- I am right handed). Now, POA and POI coincide when I do my part.

I am not sure how much I am going to change my Shield's action once it is broken in, but I am tempted to put in the USB (Universal Striker Block), the Apex sear, and the poly AEK trigger (available this January from Apex Tactical). The RAM doesn't work with a thumb safety, which is standard in the Shield. The Apex mods make the M&P's trigger action sweet! And the enhanced accuracy that you gain when you don't have to overcome the stiffer action that comes with the standard trigger setup is well worth it to me. I do not believe that it is any more dangerous to carry a pistol with a lighter trigger, especially when all of my shooting is done with that same action, and I know what to expect when I pull the trigger.

Last edited:

malifan1215

Sep 17, 2012
    Hagerstown, MD
    Checking out the DCAEK and RAM. Let me know what prices you guys find. So far Lowerthandirt is cheapest with both in stock.

Just not quite sure I'm ready to pull...THE TRIGGER.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    In the .357 SIG model, it worked out very well. I haven't gauged the pull, but if I had to ball park it, it's well under 5 pounds and vastly improved over stock in general.

On my .45 model, I just did the Hard Sear and the AEK Trigger, that ended up getting me a dead on the nose 3.5 pound trigger, that has made trigger whores contemplate picking up an M&P for themselves. Matter of fact, I know of at least 1 person that HAS picked up an M&P for themselves after fondling the .45 for a few minutes, Apex parts will be going into their's as well.

im still mad at you...you should at least pay a portion of the $550 bucks, after all...its your fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom