• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bought my first Ar15 free floated from the factory with no sights and didn't think about how impact may affect poi shift for irons and lasers and such. What do I do about putting a cap on the end of a drop in handguard if there's nothing in front of it to keep it from moving? A bolt on piece maybe? The reason I ask bolt on is I have a screw type gas block.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you add an endcap that will attach to barrel, it will no longer be "free floating", if I'm understanding the question.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just mount an optic of your choice to the receiver and call it a day. There's plenty of red dot or 1-6 options out there now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Best option for a B/U front sight would be a gas block(if it isn't under the rail) with picatinny rail milled into it. If your gun will see serious heavy duty, free-float is not your best option.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Is the gas block under the hand guard? If not you can replace it with a rail model or a folding one. Or pull the barrel an send it off for a pinned FSB. An AR is a canvas, you can make her a masterpiece or a $5 velvet Elvis. It's your choice.

An yes, an AR can be both. Different uppers for everyday of the week.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The purpose of the free float is to prevent stress on the hand guard from changing the POI due to stress on the barrel. They are SUPPOSED to move separately.

The purpose of the free float is to prevent stress on the hand guard from changing the POI due to stress on the barrel. They are SUPPOSED to move separately.

My apologies, I suppose I should have alluded to the fact that I have a flip up buis in front mounted on the rail with the rear flip up mounted to the receiver.

Outrider and Enfield, thanks for the suggestions. A pinned fsb/Pic is in order I think. Thanks for the meeting of the minds gents

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you look at the AR's used in high power competition, they are all free floated. Iron front sights are mounted on the barrel and the rear sight is on the receiver. There is NO compromise in accuracy! Eliminate the free float tube and zero's will wander due to varying pressure on the barrel from the sling, bipod, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom