• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    1911 45ACP pistol and then buy a unit 1 22 conversion upper, or for about the same money get a smith model 41, or get a Ruger and get a trigger job for it when you want to be more competitive.

I have a Ruger MkII that was the first gun on my NY Pistol Permit years ago.... 5.5" bull barrel and a shoots up a storm. Won more than my share of shoots when I was still active in NY...
    If my daughter does not like shooting it I am considering putting it on consignment at my local shot to get a Ruger Single 10 for fun shooting....
    IMO Rugers ROCK

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    If you're just getting into it, buy one of the aforementioned guns and spend the balance on good ammo, range time and instruction. :thumbsup:

This is what I did. I bought a Ruger Mk. III, an annual membership at Freestate, and bricks of .22LRs to practice with. When I improve with my 7 fundamentals I will get better ammo, and if I get good enough I'll see about getting a better competition gun.

As an aside, I've never heard much but horror stories from people taking their Rugers apart to work on them and clean them - both the High Standard and Buckmark are dead-nots easy to clean and maintain.

I read the stories of people criticizing the complexity of diassembling Rugers (part of researching before I purchased), but can say with first-hand experience that there is little substance to them. I am no mechanic, but was able to diassemble, clean, and reassemble the Mark III after being given a single demonstration at the gun shop after purchase. I only need a paperclip to pull a little lever at the start, and I'll have all the main pieces on the table for cleaning in 20 seconds.

socallove

May 11, 2012
    I have a S&W model 41 7inch barrel, that is my baby, it shoots like a dream and hits really accurate. I picked that up last year for $375??? that's right!!!
    Try the Sig Trailside Hammerli X-Esse I read the reviews on those bad boys, they are amazing for $600

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    This is what I did. I bought a Ruger Mk. III, an annual membership at Freestate, and bricks of .22LRs to practice with. When I improve with my 7 fundamentals I will get better ammo, and if I get good enough I'll see about getting a better competition gun.

I read the stories of people criticizing the complexity of diassembling Rugers (part of researching before I purchased), but can say with first-hand experience that there is little substance to them. I am no mechanic, but was able to diassemble, clean, and reassemble the Mark III after being given a single demonstration at the gun shop after purchase. I only need a paperclip to pull a little lever at the start, and I'll have all the main pieces on the table for cleaning in 20 seconds.

Agreed. Its not that hard once you do it once you know the angle of the dangle

Eta.. its funny seeing a necro thread that I don't remember posting in

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Ze Guillermo

Jul 20, 2012
    Guatemala City
    What are my best options for a .22Lr target/competition pistol? Ruger MKIII? Any others? Thank you.

Ruger Mark III Target............it´s the best in its class........no discussion... and I can asure you, 'cause I'm a proud owner of one of this amazing gun....

The only thing that I don't like about this gun, it's when you have to clean it up; its very difficault and take a lot of headache, but with some of practice and lot of patience, you can be an expert as I am.....

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    or if you don't feel guilty spending that much on a 22lr a S&W 41

I shoot a Smith 41 It is very easy to clean and switch barrels and it is VERY accurate and comes with a very good trigger and good grips there really is no need to do any work to a mod 41 . I have had mine for 20-25 years now and I am still very happy .

my vote goes to a Smith 41

S&W mdl 41!!!!!!!!

With the 5-1/2" bull barrel, the balance is PERFECT.
    Stock photo: (mine has Goncalo Alves stocks.)
    SWmdl41.jpg

Magnificient pistol!!!!!! I paid $200.00 for mine, over 25 years ago.

DoctorBob

Jul 12, 2011
    Glen Arm
    Hello R81. To answer your question of the "best options" with regard to choosing
    a REAL target pistol, I would take the view that you would be looking at fuction and
    quality, with price secondary. A many have pointed out, the S&W 41 is the classic
    choice. Pardini and Hammerli 208 would be a notch above the 41. Pease be aware
    that the new 41 is not like the older models from the 1960's and 1970's. Those
    guns were built/fitted by gunsmiths, today they are built by "assemblers". As you
    may guess, the older guns are perferred. Better fit/finish/ lapped barrels/polished
    feed ramp/ faster lock time/less over travel on the trigger are some things given
    up with new guns.
    As for proof, look at what is on the line at bullseye matches, particularly at what
    winners use. Casual shooting doesn't demand this, but if you intend to be serious,
    at least get the best equiptment.
    Norton is right, you can't "buy" your way to higher scores. Taining, mental
    discipline and diet are all parts of improving ones skills. If you want to consider
    advanced training, I can help people with that at Free State. But you have to have
    the " fire in the belly " to get started.

Dr. Bob / Old Skool

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom