• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    If you don't need to do it fast, your much better off doing it yourself though the classifieds. You'll lose a bunch selling to a dealer.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I would post up a list of what you want to sell in the classifieds. I bet you can clear out a lot pretty quick and do better than what a dealer will give you.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No matter where you take them, if you are going to bundle them all together, you're not going to get their value. You could possibly put them in a gun shop on consignment, but then you're giving a lot of your profit to the gun store. You can sell them on GunBroker.com, but then you have to worry about shipping them and all the hassle that goes with that. Like others have said, you could also post them here and see what happens. If you have something interesting, it will sell quickly. If you are selling run of the mill firearms, it may take some time to sell them and you may not sell them at all. Talk to family and friends, maybe someone you know would be interested in a few.

These are the ideas I can come up with at 10:48pm.

Don't Pawn them, whatever you do.

Good Luck!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Selling outright to a dealer, best case scenario is 2/3 of value . Consignment would give higher return, but not instant returns.

As mentioned here is good for most things, decent membership size, diverse interests. For the rare, unusual, and niche collectible , try a forum dedicated to those specific firearms. Ie older S&W on S&W collectors forum , rare Rugers on Ruger forum, etc.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Keep in mind, FFLs often won't buy everything you might be selling. They'll pick and choose what they think they can move. You'll also get 2/3 (at best) of what they think it will sell for.

Also, for consignment sales, shop the commission rate. In Frederick, Gunrunners will sell for 10% commission (and will pay you in cash/check for 90% of the sale even if the purchaser paid with a credit card). For a big collection, try to negotiate the commission, esp if they're starting with a 20% take.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The best auction service to use is, Redding Auction Service, outside of Gettysburg. They hold a firearm auction on site about once a month. They will usually put several collections together in each auction, untill there are around 200 firearms. Sometimes if a collection has a lot of the same model gun, they will split them up into different auctions to keep the bidding prices from getting pushed down. The final bid price on most guns up there are usually on the high side.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The best auction service to use is, Redding Auction Service, outside of Gettysburg. They hold a firearm auction on site about once a month. They will usually put several collections together in each auction, untill there are around 200 firearms. Sometimes if a collection has a lot of the same model gun, they will split them up into different auctions to keep the bidding prices from getting pushed down. The final bid price on most guns up there are usually on the high side.

Do you know how much their consignment fees are?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm sorry you have to sell your collection.

If you have the time I'd recommend getting with an industry partner to put them on consignment.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I stopped using the MDS classifieds for out-right sales. I have consigned several guns at A1Uniform and they have all sold for reasonable prices for both me and the buyer. I have two in their shop now but they are collector style guns and I understand they will take a little longer then say a G19. Greg and Mike do a good Job of putting the word out not only on MDS, but with all their gun loving cop customers. He has customers coming in asking for things he doesn't have in stock and since he has a close customer base he remembers them and calls them when the items come in. I dropped off a S&W Governor and Greg remembered a guy who came in a week prior asking about them............less then 24 hours later my gun was sold.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I assume that your pending sale relates to your other post.... just wanted to let you know that we are still praying for you and hope that the situation works out.

I would echo that selling them yourself on classifieds will net you the best return, although, I'm guessing that your duty station and the situation at hand may complicate this. I wish you the best in all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom