• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Refresh us of how we may presently support Silent Dynasty .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ok. So you can speak and can hear at least 70% with hearing aids. So what's the problem? What do you need help with? Only you know. Instead of us taking pot shot guesses.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    What Blaster asks above. Lots of people willing to help, what is needed ?

Just need support and encouragement. However I'm meeting a instructor on Wednesday next week to discuss some type of plans to get my instructor credentials. I do want to maximize my potential to the fullest. I will be going to the gun show on the 29th for the first time in a long time. Would like to come to competitions and teaching lessons to sit in and see how people use their teaching style so I can use alternatives if this doesn't work and such, so you get the idea. Again, please send any resources you have to my way so I can be the first instructor for the deaf and hard of hearing. I'm definitely open to teach the hearing community to challenge myself as well. If we work together, we can be a team and support one another in the gun/2A community. Hope this helps to give you the full clarity with what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #1 - Presumably NRA Instructorships in at least one discipline, and subsequent recognition by MSP to teach HQL classes . Basic Pistol by itself is bare bones to get rolling . Addidional shooting disciplines ( basic rifle, basic shotgun, etc). Going another emphasis, Refuse to be a Victim is entry level for Personal Protection curricula.

Is the issue accomadations for You to recieve the Instructor training ? What would be needed ?. Have you contacted front line Training Councillor, State Level Training Councillor, or anyone at NRA HQ? ( We have front line Training Councillors here on MDS ).

* Good * Instructors are constantly training themselves, from as many well regarded and/ or innovative Instructors aa possible. Ideally one would attend multiple long format classes per year by Instructors of national and regional reputations.

Closer to home , we have a plethora of IP's who offer instruction . Either take their classes as student, or try to make arrangement to observe their classroom portion.

I'm not familiar with Adult Education techniques for ( people who don't hear , by whatever label) , but logic tells me that HAS to be a real thing . Persue that through Dear Educational and prodessional development channels. One if the World's premier institutions of higher education for ( people can't hear) is located 5 minutes from Md State Line . An email or TTY ( if that's still a thing) would probably point you to resources.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    SilentDynasty doesnt know me on here, but i've been in communication with him and DCW for a few weeks. Like he mentioned, we've found a NRA Training Counselor that seems to have jumped at the opportunity and seems to be up to the challenge of working with a student with needs that differ from his typical students.
    Within minutes of presenting the situation, the Training Counselor was on the horn with NRA legal to get advice.

Our first inclination based on advice from another counselor was 1 on 1 classes, to give silentdynasty the knowledge he needs, and time to work on solutions to any issues that arise with a deaf or hard of hearing student.

My second inclination is to help silentdynasty find opportunities to assist with classes lead by other instructors, or sit in to audit, while he develops his own techniques and methods.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    SilentDynasty doesnt know me on here, but i've been in communication with him and DCW for a few weeks. Like he mentioned, we've found a NRA Training Counselor that seems to have jumped at the opportunity and seems to be up to the challenge of working with a student with needs that differ from his typical students.
    Within minutes of presenting the situation, the Training Counselor was on the horn with NRA legal to get advice.

Our first inclination based on advice from another counselor was 1 on 1 classes, to give silentdynasty the knowledge he needs, and time to work on solutions to any issues that arise with a deaf or hard of hearing student.

My second inclination is to help silentdynasty find opportunities to assist with classes lead by other instructors, or sit in to audit, while he develops his own techniques and methods.

Excellent plan

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Just to update everyone, I’m on the road to get my instructor credentials! Have to thank a few people but just let me know if you need anything. I think it should be beneficial if instructors knows basic American Sign Language. In the next couple months or so, I’m going to brainstorm and develop some trainings for instructors that want to learn basic ASL. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom