Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons

Notices

Old April 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM #21
For great Justice

For great Justice

I use an Edge faux similar to Gambler, but mounted congress tools stones on flat aluminum. Also use a 1x30 belt sander with Trizact, mylar and leather belts depending on the edge I want. I started out on bench stones, still can get a good edge on them, but it's really tough to hold an exact angle, and takes forever to profile, or to sharpen my exotic steels. A jig system keeps an exact, and repeatable angle, so less blade is wasted, and it sharpens more efficinetly. The belt can sharpen in minutes, and I can get a flat to convex edge depending on belt tension, the leather belt with stropping compound is epic, will mirror polish an edge, or strop a rolled edge back several times. I use triangular stones for serrated blades on the jig sharpener, sharpens minor damage, and restores an edge, then a low angle sharpen/strop on the flat side with the belt sander, and they are like new. I would like to get a couple spyderco ceramic files and mount them on backings, could exactly match the spyderedge pattern, and repair more extensive damage, or add serrations to a plain edge.

Name:  Edge faux.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  56.1 KB
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:25 AM #22

EdgePro is a very nice system. I get amazing edges on my kitchen knives, and it works fine on exotic steels, though it takes more time than on carbon steel kitchen cutlery.

I bought the genuine article, invented and made in Oregon, rather than support Chinese ripoff pirates.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:01 PM #23
NRA Patron Life Member

NRA Patron Life Member

Lansky fan here

I just touched up my two favorite carry knives with the Lansky system, and once again am amazed how razor sharp a knife can be with just a little effort. Then a quick follow up with a leather strop, 1" x 30" leather belt on a belt sander with a little jeweler's rouge.

After reading through this thread, as well as others on the subject, I wanted to re-evaluate my choice of Lansky, thinking I might be persuaded to get the Ken Onion machine, since it looks easier and faster. And it might be those things. But I cannot imagine a sharper edge than what I have now. And I can put $125 to better use elsewhere.

Grew up using whet stones (still have them) and had good enough results, but my Lansky edges are light years beyond anything I could do the old fashioned way. YMMV, of course.
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:32 PM #24
Just Anoter Ugly American

Just Anoter Ugly American

Quote:
Originally Posted by R56 Ed View Post
I just touched up my two favorite carry knives with the Lansky system, and once again am amazed how razor sharp a knife can be with just a little effort. Then a quick follow up with a leather strop, 1" x 30" leather belt on a belt sander with a little jeweler's rouge.

After reading through this thread, as well as others on the subject, I wanted to re-evaluate my choice of Lansky, thinking I might be persuaded to get the Ken Onion machine, since it looks easier and faster. And it might be those things. But I cannot imagine a sharper edge than what I have now. And I can put $125 to better use elsewhere.

Grew up using whet stones (still have them) and had good enough results, but my Lansky edges are light years beyond anything I could do the old fashioned way. YMMV, of course.
I am pretty much there with you Ed. I do have a Work sharp that I use on my kitchen knives, mainly because of their length and hardness. As far as my hunting and EDC knives go, It's Lansky all the way. I too started with wet stones and can still produce a shaving edge with one(coarse side and fine side), but the Lansky system give a more consistent bevel.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship...row well and live" Quintus Arius
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:50 PM #25

I have the basic lansky system collecting dust somewhere in my basement. OP, if I can find it, it's yours.

The work sharp Ken onion is much better for me. I can do a kitchen knife to an incredible edge in 5 minutes.
gwchem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:01 PM #26
Scribe

Scribe

Anyone know what the difference is, or benefit, between the regular work sharp and the ken onion edition?
Matlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:54 PM #27

The Ken onion belt is wider, and it can do more angles. The latter is why I upgraded.
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:01 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
I have the basic lansky system collecting dust somewhere in my basement. OP, if I can find it, it's yours.

The work sharp Ken onion is much better for me. I can do a kitchen knife to an incredible edge in 5 minutes.
Wow... I haven't checked this thread for a while. Let me know if you come across it. I'm still using stones... rough and fine.

I'm finding that the steel makes a Hugh difference... duh... I can get a wicked sharp edge on VG10 in no time... but it takes me what seems like forever to get a similar edge on 1095. Maybe it's the knife. .. spyderco vs kabar... maybe it's just how I'm holding. I guess the systems would be more conducive to consistency.

Anyway... thanks for the offer.
lkenefic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:41 PM #29

You're welcome to it. Glad someone will find a use for it. It was sitting on top of the whetstones that can serve as backup if the work sharp fails. Can you pm me an address?
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:45 PM #30

Edge Pro system, nothing better out there. Not cheap, but neither are your knives.

The Chinese have of course pirated the design. I don't know how they can sell them for less than the cost of the stones, so I suspect the quality equals the price. Buy American, it's the right thing to do.

If someone had a mind to, they could probably make a living with this tool.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 05:10 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post

You're welcome to it. Glad someone will find a use for it. It was sitting on top of the whetstones that can serve as backup if the work sharp fails. Can you pm me an address?
PM sent!
lkenefic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:50 PM #32
Invictus

Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
I use Spyerco Sharpmaker and an older set of crock sticks. I find it easier to hold the correct blade angle using them. The edges I get are good enough to cleanly shave slivers of paper off a suspended sheet's edge. One of the keys to getting a good edge is, when you feel it starting to sharpen, start using a much lighter pressure. It does slow things down a lot at that point but too much pressure on a fine edge doesn't seem to produce very sharp results.
I have one of these and can't seem to get the edge that everyone else does. I watched the video several times, but... Any chance the stones are bad?
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM #33
I pass butter.

I pass butter.

Based on a couple of mentions in this thread, I just picked up a WorkSharp (the regular, not the Ken Onion model).

I've only sharpened one knife with it so far - my German chef's knife, which has tough steel and had gotten so dull that the included honing rod wouldn't do anything.

I'm gonna have to re-learn how to safely handle a genuinely sharp knife. Because after using the WorkSharp on it, I negligently ran my finger against the blade when I was unloading the sink*, and with barely any pressure I sliced my finger right open. This S.O.B. is sharper now than when it was new.

So, I guess consider this an endorsement for the WorkSharp.

* (Yes, I know - I'm an idiot for laying a sharp knife in a sink full of other stuff. Won't be doing that again....)
Half-cocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:37 AM #34

Many years ago I started with a Lansky set, which works great btw, then went to Gatco because the stones are so much bigger-makes the job go faster.

Then a year or two ago, I got a Ken Onion Work Sharp electric belt sharpener and it does an even better job in seconds vs. many minutes. I still keep the Gatco set (gave my old Lansky set away) in case the grid goes down or when I want to work on tiny broadhead blades.

The Ken Onion Work Sharp simply smokes all the others-assuming you have electricity!

Mag Dump is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons