• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    This is of course a rant, but its August 22nd, many of us waiting +100 days for the state(yes, the MSP is part of state) to let us exercise rights our forefathers shed blood so we could have. State says 10/1 we can't pick up a handgun if we don't have an HQL, but the state doesn't have forms or a website in place to apply - 10/1 is 6 to 7 seven weeks away.

I've not chimed in on this before, but seems to me a relentless pestering of anyone and everyone above the level of the Mrs. Brocks of the world is in order by every one affected by this crap. To that end, tomorrow I'll be pestering the licensing division as regards how, when, and where I can apply for an HQL. Dumb responses such as I don't know will be responded to with, well then who does know? When will you know - I'll be calling you on that date for a followup.

Same line of questioning needs to hit the head of the state police, the governors office, delegates, and senators. These folks work for us - make em earn their pay and make em squirm.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Same line of questioning needs to hit the head of the state police, the governors office, delegates, and senators. These folks work for us - make em earn their pay and make em squirm.

I agree with all you said, but really want to focus on this for a minute...

I am really hoping everyone takes this to heart, and gets on the stick right away.

I am still receiving communication from "friendlies" in response to the emails I'm sending, and even from one "gun-owning quasi-anti" who caved to O'MAOlley.

Funny thing, though, the true "antis" haven't said a peep, even though we can be reasonably assured they are seeing the messages (or at the very least have no excuse not to).

If we don't keep up the pressure (and demand that others across the state do the same), we deserve what our collective neglect brings us.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's the type of question I still have. Can I take a friend to a range to introduce them to shooting and hand them my handguns to try? Is that considered a transfer (they receive a handgun) that requires an HQL? That would suck.

Yes, No.

You have to go by how the law defines the terms.

For firearms, in MD, transfer means permanent change of ownership.

Rent, for the purposes of HQL, means to remove the firearm from the premises.

So until you are giving your friend your pistol for all time, it is NOT a transfer.

And ranges can still allow people to shoot the ranges's guns, for a fee, as long as the guns do not leave the premises.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes, No.

You have to go by how the law defines the terms.

For firearms, in MD, transfer means permanent change of ownership.

Rent, for the purposes of HQL, means to remove the firearm from the premises.

So until you are giving your friend your pistol for all time, it is NOT a transfer.

And ranges can still allow people to shoot the ranges's guns, for a fee, as long as the guns do not leave the premises.

The problem is not the ban on "transfer" Chow takes care of that, although it took a decision from the highest MD court to put a stop to the State on that. The problem is the ban on "receipt" See this link and thread. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2583572&postcount=7

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    IANAL, so I must take the experience of those that are to heart on this matter.

As a layman, I have the worries that esq points out in his post. From a layman's perspective, it all hinges on what the definition of "receive" is interpreted to be in this state. I have no faith in our current governor or AG. I am assuming that we will see an increased presence of MSP at local ranges, with the intentional orders for targeted enforcement of the HQL as soon as they see a pistol change hands. I think the O'Malley Machine is chomping at the bit to start prosecuting people so that they can shout from on high that the signature law is working. Personally, I feel that was the intention from the beginning - increase the burden to a point that breaks the system, then arrest/prosecute the offenders while still nolle prosequi the gun charges against the known felon-possessors.

Lord help us if Brian Frosh is elected AG...

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    What side of the coin are you? Get the HQL and keep buying, or refuse to submit to the new rules. Which is the most defiant stance? All a matter of perspective I guess. I'm leaning toward getting the HQL and continue collecting, otherwise I think I would feel defeated, and ultimately gives them what they want. Thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What side of the coin are you? Get the HQL and keep buying, or refuse to submit to the new rules. Which is the most defiant stance? All a matter of perspective I guess. I'm leaning toward getting the HQL and continue collecting, otherwise I think I would feel defeated, and ultimately gives them what they want. Thoughts?

You've got three basic choices:

1) Refuse to get HQL. Stay a MD resident. Never buy another non-C&R handgun or banned long gun.
    2) Get HQL. Stay a MD resident. Buy whatever handguns you want. Never buy another banned long gun.
    3) Move to free state. Buy whatever you want.

It's easy for internet operators to vote for #3. In the real world, it's a matter of family, work, and finances. For most of us, #2 is entertainment as a non-stop stick in the eye to MD's anti-freedom political machine.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    It's easy for internet operators to vote for #3. In the real world, it's a matter of family, work, and finances. For most of us, #2 is entertainment as a non-stop stick in the eye to MD's anti-freedom political machine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have to agree:thumbsup:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

MD does not want you to have guns. Does not want gun dealers in the state. It does this by placing obstacles to ownership, driving down sales and driving out dealers. If you are going to stay in MD for whatever reason, not getting a HQL means that they win. Moving out means that they win (take your guns with you), but of course, that also means freedom from crazy gun laws. I am no fan of MD and would move out if I could. I can't right now, so I will get the damn HQL and buy as many guns as I can afford and help as many people get the HQL as I can (I'm a certified handgun instructor) and fight back that way. All legal, all proper.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    If you plan to receive a handgun after 9/30, you will need an HQL. There is no exemption for having a MD CCW.

Question please. I am getting conflicting info on my situation. I have a PO for a AR lower, I thought I didn't need a HQL. It's only for a possession of a handgun after Oct 1 not required for a "long gun". I pay the $15 and that's it right? (I have a CR and a MD designated collector letter in hand)

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Question please. I am getting conflicting info on my situation. I have a PO for a AR lower, I thought I didn't need a HQL. It's only for a possession of a handgun after Oct 1 not a regulated "long gun". I pay the $15 and that's it right? (I have a CR and a MD designated collector letter in hand)

Please pardon the stupid question, but...

What is the $15 for? Not a number I've heard in relation to a transaction. MSP fee for "regulated Firearms" transfer is $10.

Otherwise...

HQL... H is for Handgun... not applicable. I wish I knew where people are hearing this.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013

1) Refuse to get HQL. Stay a MD resident. Never buy another non-C&R handgun or banned long gun.
    2) Get HQL. Stay a MD resident. Buy whatever handguns you want. Never buy another banned long gun.

It's easy for internet operators to vote for #3. In the real world, it's a matter of family, work, and finances. For most of us, #2 is entertainment as a non-stop stick in the eye to MD's anti-freedom political machine.
    yeah, pretty much have to co-sign this post right here

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Please pardon the stupid question, but...

What is the $15 for? Not a number I've heard in relation to a transaction. MSP fee for "regulated Firearms" transfer is $10.

Otherwise...

HQL... H is for Handgun... not applicable. I wish I knew where people are hearing this.

Thanks MrH. Glad to hear, that's what I thought. I am done buying Handguns. Not really from a "official source". I am not on FB, but my wife is keeping an eye on the Shadow ops FB page. Someone commented and suggested a HQL is need for a lower, for what reason I have no idea other than a regulated firearm.The $15 dollars is for the MSP registration. That may have changed due to the bill. I really appreciate the comment.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Did a little reading today as I remembered seeing a mandated response time for the HQL in the bill and found:

(G)(H) (1) WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING A PROPERLY COMPLETED APPLICATION, THE SECRETARY SHALL ISSUE TO THE APPLICANT:
    (1) (I) A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IF THE APPLICANT IS APPROVED; OR
    (2) (II) A WRITTEN DENIAL OF THE APPLICATION THAT CONTAINS:
    (I) 1. THE REASON THE APPLICATION WAS DENIED; AND (II) 2. A STATEMENT OF THE APPLICANT’S APPEAL

Sorry for the formatting of the above.

I found it interesting that "SECRETARY SHALL ISSUE" is the language especially since it MUST be done within 30 days of application receipt - especially in light of all the discussion of 'may release' through most of 2013.

The above text came from page 31, line 13-19 of http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

I still expect MSP to fail in this turn around time and personally, I'm torn, on whether together a HQL or not - but at last I feel like I can pester the living day lights out of them on day 31 if I decide to proceed and they have failed to deliver the HQL

---
    Shamr0ck

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    There will be NO requirement to get an HQL if you legally own now and make no future purchases..is that correct? Only need one to buy after Oct. 1?

That is how I understand it, yes.

Correct.

HQL is required to purchase, rent or receive. Nothing about possess.

This is correct. It may be of interest to note, however, that those who establish Maryland residency for the first time after October 1 will be required to register all regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency, and pay a fee. The MSP has prepared a new form, designated 77D, for this purpose. The same requirement would apply to a current Maryland resident who moves away and loses legal residency, and then returns in the future to re-establish legal residency. This appears to be a straight registration requirement and does not require the HQL.

The HQL qualifies someone to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun via transfer. It is as simple as that. Don't overthink it.

Looks like something has changed ladies and gentlemen:

http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/UnderConstruction/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    Someone who completed a certified safety course.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    For all of you wonks that have actually studied this abortion of a law, is there any language in there that authorizes this?

Have I missed something in this thread or another?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    For all of you wonks that have actually studied this abortion of a law, is there any language in there that authorizes this?

Have I missed something in this thread or another?

Authorizes what?

The red part about not needing the training if you already own? That has been my understanding all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom