• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Last week I was witness to an incident and I gave my name and other information to the state police when they arrived. One of the parties was rather angry and I am sure my testimony put him clearly in the wrong.

Today I am thinking can the guy find out who I am and come after me? Someone told me police redact reports - is that true? Can the guy get the unredacted police report somehow find out who I am.

I am not that worried but I go out of town from time to time.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Vehicle crash ?

Did you get a copy of the exchange of information document ?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    We do for criminal cases. Our attorney office will redact it before Defense gets a copy of all the paperwork

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Accident reports - here in Maryland at least, the ACRS - is avialable to many requestors. They include those directly involved, those representing the involved and FCC registered media. I am not aware, however, of any departments which redact any of them.

HoCoAR

Ultimate Member
    Nov 15, 2012
    My full name and home address was listed on MD Judiciary Case Search as a witness to an auto accident recorded by a MD Trooper.
    Contact the courthouse and have them look up that case number. My understanding is MD is an open book so your privacy is disregarded.
    My address was redacted upon request for this but my full name remained.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it is a routine record held by a government agency it falls under Maryland Public Information Act. These records are, according to the legislation, supposed to be open for public inspection. There are also certain information that is required to be redacted prior to release. Medical information and PII (Soundex #, DOB, etc) should typically be redacted in accordance with MPIA requirements.

Rather an agency does this or not who knows. If a vehicle wasn't towed and no one went to the hospital there likely isn't a police report. So witness information likely would have been exchanged to any parties involved at the scene so that the insurance companies could follow it up. Good luck getting any of that "undone".

Also more and more departments have body worn cameras. Another thing to consider if you are trying to make sure someone doesn't have access to you information. The body camera should be redacted the same but who knows if the agency follows that or not.

For those worried a P.O. box wouldn't be a poor investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom