• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I recently bought a KVP handguard and it came with an aluminum adapter that screws onto the receiver threads. It then has a separate steel barrel nut that screws onto the adapter. The barrel nut doesn't touch the threads of the receiver. The instructions say absolutely nothing about using anti-seize, but it does explicitly say to use locktite on the barrel nut.
    So my first go around, I used antiseize on the upper receiver threads, screwed on the adapter, then tightened down the barrel nut with locktite. Attached the forend. After a day of letting it cure, I grabbed the forend and could easily twist it until the gas tubed stopped the twisting.

So what would be your advice on what to use where? The adapter is aluminum. The nut is steel. The other odd thing is that the adapter does not scew tight to the upp receiver. It is 180 degrees to the gas tube when finger tight. So unless I use a shim, there is no way I am getting it properly positioned. Should I use a shim?

In the pic, the adapter is to the right. It comes with a gas tube alignment pin to keep the adapter properly positioned when torquing down the barrel nut.

Attachments

• barrel.JPG
      barrel.JPG
      8.5 KB · Views: 229

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I'd send that back. Sorry.

I thought maybe there was a chance I had one that was OOS. I bought another set of just the nut and adapter. same thing. The part that I don't fully understand is why wouldn't the adapter screw tight to the upper? It isn't even close. There arent any flat areas to torque the adapter down and nothing in the instructions either. So is it designed to just be loose? That seems very odd to me. Every other thing I have seen on YT for other designs torque down the first thing connected to the receiver.

The other thing that makes no sense is what is holding on the barrel? The barrel nut in this package is smooth on the inside. So is the barrel really being locked in by just one ridge of threads on the adapter... which is loose?

Usually if something makes this little sense then I am missing something obvious.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Does the adapter get any closer to the receiver if you flip it over, and install it from the other direction?

You could call them or send them an email.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    If I flip it over it goes from 6 o clock to 6:30

After looking all over the net, I found a video from Odinworks. It appears they use the exact same system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=234&v=6hLP3nHLox4&feature=emb_logo
    [YT]6hLP3nHLox4[/YT]

Once again, no mention of using antiseize. In the video he has the adapet loose. Maybe it was the antiseize screwing everything up. Everywhere else I have ever seen on the internet says to always use antiseize on the upper threads.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would try Aeroshell 33 grease on the mount/receiver threads and either red Locktite or Rocksett on the barrel nut. I take it the barrel nut and the mount's opposing force is what holds the barrel tight to the receiver? Make sure you apply the correct amount of torque to the barrel nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom