Are recurve bow string safe to use on compound bow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Got a used Matthew Mission Craze 2 from cousin that barely used it. It has original string but some of the serving near peephole is a little fuzzy. I honestly want to change or is there a way to fix it? I'm new to compound, are strings really expensive and do you really need to replace bi-yearly? Google-fu is failing me, i cant seen to find replacement strings. So my question is, is there any issues with using 16-strands recurve bow string? Thinking about this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K0LDJP6?tag=shoot02-20

Or please can anyone direct me to a string that doesnt break the bank. Thank you and stay safe.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I used a place called 60xcustomstrings for all of our camp recurve bows, and I think they were reasonable, but their prices more than doubled since last year when I ordered a bunch. I paid under $8 each and now the same string is $18. So I am not sure if raw materials increased or what the deal is really. I guess if materials went up, then prices might still be reasonable. The compound strings are about 3 times that price.

Recurve and compound strings are different in length and build, so they are not interchangeable. On our bows, I replace the strings as they start to look bad, the kids are kind of hard on them. I know we just look for damage to the string itself, not so much the serving.

I am sure that in some way it's the wrong thing to do, but when the serving gets fuzzy, I use a lighter and just kinda melt/singe the serving lightly and then re-wax the sting. Thats what we do with our 15 or so bows. I am sure if you are using it more frequently or for hunting, there are probably some better guidelines as to replacement times. I am sure someone else will chime in with better info.

Mark

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Thanks for the quick reply. I might try the repair method first. Maybe flip the string, wax and add serving to bad parts. Install new peep hole in new section and see how it goes. 60x string seem legit. Thinking about ordering a ready to ship string. $100+ for a custom seem out of my range at the moment. So I need a 55 7/8 length, but they only have 55 3/4 or 56. Do I need exact length or the shorter/longer option safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom