• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    So, I am looking through my local pawn shop and I see a mossberg 500. I have been looking for another 500 or remington 870 since I used my last shorty shotgun for the bullpup project. I see this 500 and it is in terrible condition, someone had left it in the bottom of thier john boat for too long. The bolt face was rusted and pitted and there was alot of black grease all throughout the action. Plus it had that stupid 24 inch choked vent rib barrel. But I saw potential, I turned it into a nice small riot shotgun. I cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches. The rust and grease came off pretty easy. The hardest part had to be removing the vent, what a pain in the ass. But I am happy with the outcome. Total cost, 150.00

Before..
    001-6.jpg

maybe a little rust....
    002-7.jpg

Oh my god.....
    003-4.jpg

The outcome....
    005-6.jpg

crudmucosa

Dec 28, 2009
    Woodlawn
    Huzzah for the fantastic job. Did you put the carabiner on so that you could attach it to your keychain and/or belt loop? If so, that would be epic.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    also, this gun comes only weeks after getting my 20th gun, the PSl. Sooooo, I had to buy my wife a new cell phone just so she wouldn't get angry.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

I'm doing the same thing to my Mossy but i can't get the castle nut to screw on the forearm assembly. I field stripped the shotty and couldn't remove the forearms assembly? Any hints?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?

I'm doing the same thing to my Mossy but i can't get the castle nut to screw on the forearm assembly. I field stripped the shotty and couldn't remove the forearms assembly? Any hints?

I have noticed on some mossberg forends [especially the large "field type" synthetic forends] you need to use a flathead screwdriver [the bigger the better] to get the nut out far enough to use the forend nut removal tool [it's just a Fat T shaped piece of steel that helps unscrew the nut and remove the forend. If you can't get the specific tool, use the big flathead screwdriver with consistant pressure and MAYBE some gentle taps with a mallet. Hope this helps.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    FPS you need the forend wrench. I have improvised alot of things over the years and scratched the crap out of a few mag tubes. 240 excelent example of recycling.

I got the forend on my 870 but the 500 is a tough

I have noticed on some mossberg forends [especially the large "field type" synthetic forends] you need to use a flathead screwdriver [the bigger the better] to get the nut out far enough to use the forend nut removal tool [it's just a Fat T shaped piece of steel that helps unscrew the nut and remove the forend. If you can't get the specific tool, use the big flathead screwdriver with consistant pressure and MAYBE some gentle taps with a mallet. Hope this helps.

I'll give it a try tonight! TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom