• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Has anyone had their guns actually returned yet? Until I can read about that I’m considering the returns as hypothetical. It’s just an excuse for extrajudicial confiscation.

If the courts don’t set this right, I’m worried things will only get worse. If the govt betrays it’s constituents it’ll be hard to keep convincing people to play by their rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes, bad information can be very bad for the person relying on it.

As I mentioned that bit about getting your gun back is from one LEO source. He's an officer in MSP so take it for what its worth. How the law is written is one thing, what they actually do or what ends up actually happening is another. A great example of this is "good and substantial" which isn't mandated by law but instituted by MSP. He has personally seen people being denied their firearms back because they failed to prove they are in good standing.

Do you have any information on those that were red-flagged and got their guns back? Getting your gun back after getting red-flagged is difficult in Maryland because more often then not a liberal judge gets to make that decision.

Also AFAIK there is no limit to how often someone can be red-flagged in MD.

Also not trying to stir any pots here. Just sharing my discontent with red flag laws in general. There needs to be a legal challenge against this law.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have 4 cousins who are active LEO in MD. I love each of them dearly. None will ever be a part of my life again because of conversations regarding this law.

I too have cut ties with a few acquaintances and those who are L.E. due to their support for this Law.

I will even cut ties with people who are friendly to those who are supportive of this law.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As I mentioned that bit about getting your gun back is from one LEO source. He's an officer in MSP so take it for what its worth. How the law is written is one thing, what they actually do or what ends up actually happening is another. A great example of this is "good and substantial" which isn't mandated by law but instituted by MSP. He has personally seen people being denied their firearms back because they failed to prove they are in good standing.

Do you have any information on those that were red-flagged and got their guns back? Getting your gun back after getting red-flagged is difficult in Maryland because more often then not a liberal judge gets to make that decision.

Also not trying to stir any pots here. Just sharing my discontent with red flag laws in general. There needs to be a legal challenge against this law.

But it actually is. The definition of what a "good and substantial" reason actually is would be the part where MSP came in and made up their own definitions.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I too have cut ties with a few acquaintances and those who are L.E. due to their support for this Law.

I will even cut ties with people who are friendly to those who are supportive of this law.

My sister has moved far to the left, in regards to gun control. I'm not going to be making appearances at Christmas or Easter dinners at her house, nor will I be attending my nephew's birthday parties. I want nothing to do with her, my BIL, or nephew anymore, because I can't trust that manipulative, stuck up, spend it like she stole the printing press, two faced b!tch.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    This doesn’t prove anything I said was wrong.

It is a clear violation of rights. Sitting in domestic court doesn’t make it any more legal according to the constitution.
    Don’t try to make your point by guilting or shaming others. Doesn’t work well at all with me.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    100 served and 1 really served. Usually when new laws come out it takes time for people to know of them, this was quick I think. Hogan will allow this law to expand.
    In addition to numbers served, date of return and expedience would be interesting. Is the number of firearms confiscated from each person public info? number confiscated as a whole? Getting guns off the streets is their whole knee jerk agenda, JAThought, so yes, numbers returned will be interesting.

Its dividing people into groups, I'm hesitant to use the word "classes", Thanks for your input Clandestine I feel I can take that to the bank.
    Hold on, someones at my door

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Has anyone had their guns actually returned yet? Until I can read about that I’m considering the returns as hypothetical. It’s just an excuse for extrajudicial confiscation.

If the courts don’t set this right, I’m worried things will only get worse. If the govt betrays it’s constituents it’ll be hard to keep convincing people to play by their rules.

Sent from my iPhone using

Do you have any information on those that were red-flagged and got their guns back?
    Getting your gun back after getting red-flagged is difficult in Maryland because more often then not a liberal judge gets to make that decision.

Due to the time frame set down in the law for appeals and hearings. (AIUI) It is far too early to even ask such a question. But, we do know this much... nearly half of those who were the subject of a 1302 Application... never even had their guns taken in the first place.

So... while I despise the 1302... and find the potential for abuse untenable... I am not going to go off in a worried tangent on issues which have yet to play out.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    That is wildly incorrect.

If the order is dropped at the hearing with the judge, then the guns are required to be returned within 14 days. If the order is granted, you can appeal. If it remains in effect, then the guns are kept until the order is no longer in effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard of a situation in which an order was dismissed and the respondant was having a heck of a time getting his stuff back. He said no one wanted to sign on "that line". The next response was "I doubt it was designed to be easy to get them back". This poor person, who did nothing wrong had to fight with the storing agency, lost time at work, aggravation etc.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I've heard of a situation in which an order was dismissed and the respondant was having a heck of a time getting his stuff back. He said no one wanted to sign on "that line". The next response was "I doubt it was designed to be easy to get them back". This poor person, who did nothing wrong had to fight with the storing agency, lost time at work, aggravation etc.

Yeah I don’t deny people won’t run into issues like that. Though it’s not exactly begging to get your guns back, it’s suing the f*ck out of the agency and government to follow the law. The law doesn’t allow for the police to “feel like someone shouldn’t get their guns back.”

The person is either prohibited or they’re not. That standard is a pretty black and white thing.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    In Frederick County 8 ERPOs have been issued, so far, with 4 of these having been determined to be finalized. :sad20:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_9fd269e4-a70e-574f-a50f-1f3e40d8f3e5.html

Interesting... I think I may have pointed this out somewhere. ;)
    From the article...
    Earlier in November, Anne Arundel County police officers shot and killed the person they were serving with an ERPO. The man allegedly became irate and fired his gun at the officers, the Capital Gazette reported. For opponents of the new law, the incident illustrated the dangerous situations the ERPOs create for gun owners and law enforcement. For others, the shooting underscored the law’s necessity.
    A response to the article..:lol2:

Johndoe1
    Nov 24, 2018 10:04am
    Democrats are like Christmas lights, half of them don’t work and the half that do aren’t very bright
    !

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Yeah I don’t deny people won’t run into issues like that. Though it’s not exactly begging to get your guns back, it’s suing the f*ck out of the agency and government to follow the law. The law doesn’t allow for the police to “feel like someone shouldn’t get their guns back.”

The person is either prohibited or they’re not. That standard is a pretty black and white thing.

I agree 100%. It sucks that people have to go through this crap.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama

Suing the f&-k out of an agency to get your guns back. Some people may not be able to afford to do that. Guess those folks and their rights are SOL.
    The law doesn't allow for cops to "feel like someone shouldn't get their guns back" but really, who is there to enforce them giving back the guns?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My sister has moved far to the left, in regards to gun control. I'm not going to be making appearances at Christmas or Easter dinners at her house, nor will I be attending my nephew's birthday parties. I want nothing to do with her, my BIL, or nephew anymore, because I can't trust that manipulative, stuck up, spend it like she stole the printing press, two faced b!tch.

I have cut ties with almost every member of my extended family. Some over politics, some over gun rights, but most of all it's over the red flag law. I won't have relationships with people that I don't fully trust that have the power to red flag me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have cut ties with almost every member of my extended family. Some over politics, some over gun rights, but most of all it's over the red flag law. I won't have relationships with people that I don't fully trust that have the power to red flag me.

I am looking at those who I believe would initiate the red flag on me and eliminating them. First one was my sister. The list is actually relatively short.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Was this before or after the new law was passed? Was the respondent served an ERPO since the law took effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom