• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I had made this recipe six months ago. I think the guy that made it and I copied it from is a chef. I made this last spring and forgot to post it anywhere. It worked pretty good on venison/beef and probably would be a good cover recipe for those fish ducks like scooters and mergies. Original was his recipe and light was a test of mine for a semi milder one, but its still too warm for the women in my house.

pepperoni-recipe.jpg

img_0578-large-e1540643042620.jpg

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Whetting my appetite again. I really need a real grinder. Been watching for prices to go down on a LEM #12 (missed when they went down to $330 this summer). Then I just need more deer. I actually have an old enterprise stuffer in excellent condition.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I got one of the cheaper cabelas grinder from 10 years ago. It has a plastic gear on it to the grinder. It works pretty good, but I've been shopping for a replacement. LEM Big Bite is nice, but expensive and I have been shopping used sales and auctions but no luck yet. When I make sausage and the first course grind on 1" par frozen cubes makes me cringe sometimes. I am waiting on that little grinder to snap one day.

Mine would have been the pre-moldel to this one. That black push rod that stores tools in it, is all but useless, IMO. The top cap pops off on anything wet that you try and push when you pull up. I made a new push rod from wood and varnished it heavily.

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I still have a lot of venison from last year, so I was planning to make sausage out of anything I got this year. Might have to try this one.

As far as a grinder...I have the Kitchen Aid attachment for the mixer and it works fantasticly.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I still have a lot of venison from last year, so I was planning to make sausage out of anything I got this year. Might have to try this one.

As far as a grinder...I have the Kitchen Aid attachment for the mixer and it works fantasticly.

Same here. People will say its underpowered and will burn out, but you just need to run the mixer at a slow speed rather than balls out.

I've ground a few hundred pounds of venison with mine :thumbsup:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I have that same attachment and I’ve never used it. Shame on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepperoni should have used Cure #2 instead of Cure #1. #1 is used for things like bacon, ham and sausages which are meant to be fully cooked. #2 also contains sodium nitrate and is used in meats that aren't fully cooked- typically air dried meats

Make sure you keep it refrigerated, and use all of the product within a few weeks (treat it like bacon). This could become dangerous if the meat is treated as if Cure #2 was used.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    This is not a dry cured aged as I did it. I know some of people dry cure pepperoni but I smoked it. I have not bothered with any dry aging yet and have not made curing chamber yet, so I don't even bother with cure #2 yet.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Do you have a tried recipe for snack sticks?
    I have a freezer burned venison hindquarter I’m trying to figure out what to do with.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The pepperoni can be done if you want spicy. I have tried this one I found on the internet and they have a milder pepper flavor. Not sure what flavors you would want. Greg's spicy snacks sticks as its posted on the web, but I don;t think its spicy. Maybe for my daughter. ;) Its good, but I wouldn't sell it.

I do 50% deer and 73% beer and cut it 50/50 to get a fat of 13.5% which is great for bologna and snack sticks. If you want straight venison get some pork fat and cut it to 15%. The ECA is to add twang like a dry aged bologna or pepperoni from the bacteria culture.

Attachments

• Gregs pepper snack sticks.JPG
      Gregs pepper snack sticks.JPG
      52.4 KB · Views: 82

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I do 50% deer and 73% beer and cut it 50/50 to get a fat of 13.5% which is great for bologna and snack sticks. If you want straight venison get some pork fat and cut it to 15%. The ECA is to add twang like a dry aged bologna or pepperoni from the bacteria culture.
    Sounds delicious :D

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I must have had too many. ;)

Also feel free to substitute tenderquick for Pink salt #1 and salt. 1 Tbsp of tenderquick per pound is a bit salty for my wife.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom