• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Seriously, checkout SOTA arms before you buy. Better quality than the above choices in my opinion, and I own 2 of them.

Absolutely no way SOTA is better quality than either of those choices. :tdown:

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    I'd rather not turn this guys thread into a pissing match but I don't like when people get bad information. I understand that everyone wants to recommend what they own. Its almost like a justification of purchase but its not right. If you're going to tell the OP that SOTA makes a better rifle than the two he linked then how about telling him why.

First, I have never owned a SOTA but I had a close friend of mine get burned by one. We were attending a VA Tactical Carbine class two years ago and 2 lugs sheered off his bolt. This was the second time he used this rifle. The first was 3 hundred rounds at a range one week prior. Luckily I had an extra BCM bolt in my bag so he was able to finish the class. I let him keep it the bolt because he bought me a nice dinner the next night. Needles to say, that bolt I gave him already had 5,000 rounds on it before I passed it along. In the past two years and three more carbine classes, he has now added an additional 3,000 rounds bringing the count up to 8,000 rounds. Going by what other BCM bolts get before failure, he's not even half way there yet.

SOTA has a problem with putting false specs on their parts. A quick Google search revealed the fallowing link on the first page:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?113050-Soto-arms-bolt-failure

It's another SOTA bolt failing at 500 rounds or less.

Sorry man but there is a group of AR manufactures (I won't name names) that have been doing nothing but releasing quality rifles and since they've been in businesse. They do it year after year and they do it because they understand that one bad part has the potential of ruining their stellar names.

OP.... Get the BCM.... You will get it within days, you will have a rifle your life can depend on and you will know that all the proper testing was done. There's a reason why BCM has such a large fallowing and I'll give tip. It's not because they make half assed rifles or half assed parts.

Rant over... Going to bed

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Great thanks again for all the input. I've pretty much got my mind made up, just gotta pull the trigger. I'll chime in with what i've ordered on Monday probably.

I've narrowed it down to the BCM that I posted earlier and the Stag Arms 3GH.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1229096__NEW_STAG_3GH_RIGHT_HAND_UPPERS___719_shipped_with__Quick_ship__on_Right_Hand.html

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Great thanks again for all the input. I've pretty much got my mind made up, just gotta pull the trigger. I'll chime in with what i've ordered on Monday probably.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1..._shipped_with__Quick_ship__on_Right_Hand.html

The BCM will be a step above the Stag. You'll also get better customer service. Not that there's anything wrong with Stag but the BCM is just better. If you want, I can give you reasons why or you could just take my word for it. ☺

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1229096__NEW_STAG_3GH_RIGHT_HAND_UPPERS___719_shipped_with__Quick_ship__on_Right_Hand.html

Not downplaying BCM products at all (I have several and love them), but I think of your two choices, the Stag would be more accurate. You're really comparing apples to oranges. A 3-gun upper with a SS 1:8 Wylde chambered barrel vs. a "standard" GI chromed barrel with Nato chamber. The Stag will be more accurate, but the BCM will be higher quality in just about everything else. That being said, you could build a better upper for what the Stag costs.

This BCM would be a better comparison to the Stag. Cost is about equal and the BCM is head and shoulders above it. THIS is the one to get.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...per-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-18-ss410-missg2-15.htm

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Not downplaying BCM products at all (I have several and love them), but I think of your two choices, the Stag would be more accurate. You're really comparing apples to oranges. A 3-gun upper with a SS 1:8 Wylde chambered barrel vs. a "standard" GI chromed barrel with Nato chamber. The Stag will be more accurate, but the BCM will be higher quality in just about everything else. That being said, you could build a better upper for what the Stag costs.

This BCM would be a better comparison to the Stag. Cost is about equal and the BCM is head and shoulders above it. THIS is the one to get.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...per-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-18-ss410-missg2-15.htm

:party29:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, I have a RRA with a 1:8 Whylde chamber, SS, 16" and have owned a BCM w 1:7 CM and are happy with both. If I was going to WAR, I would use the BCM, and for everything else, the RRA is fine.

As for the STAG 3 gun upper, that is a good choice, unless your going to war, and need EVERY bit of reliability :-), but keep one thing in mind, that stainless steel barrel will give you a little better accuracy. Now whether you REALIZE that difference, is another story. We can get caught up in the semantics but the reality of most of us every wringing out the last bit of accuracy from our rifles is another story, just in MHO that is :-).

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Didn't realize you were comparing a Stag SS barrel to a BCM chrome lined barrel. Those two barrels have different purposes. Look at the BCM uppers with their SS410 barrel. I never owned one but from what Ive read, its top notch.

Have you thought about just piece mealing your upper? If you don't have the tools to put it together, any gunsmith should do it for less than $40. That way you could get exactly what you want.

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    The BCM will be a step above the Stag. You'll also get better customer service. Not that there's anything wrong with Stag but the BCM is just better. If you want, I can give you reasons why or you could just take my word for it. ☺

I'm always open to reasons, but I will put it out there that i'll just be punching paper with this rifle.

Thanks, I would agree that the BCM you suggested would be a better comparison. I'll do a little research and see what I think.

Well, I have a RRA with a 1:8 Whylde chamber, SS, 16" and have owned a BCM w 1:7 CM and are happy with both. If I was going to WAR, I would use the BCM, and for everything else, the RRA is fine.

As for the STAG 3 gun upper, that is a good choice, unless your going to war, and need EVERY bit of reliability :-), but keep one thing in mind, that stainless steel barrel will give you a little better accuracy. Now whether you REALIZE that difference, is another story. We can get caught up in the semantics but the reality of most of us every wringing out the last bit of accuracy from our rifles is another story, just in MHO that is :-).

That's true i'm sure. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get every once of accuracy out the rifle, but I do like the fact that with time and some practice I may be able too.

Didn't realize you were comparing a Stag SS barrel to a BCM chrome lined barrel. Those two barrels have different purposes. Look at the BCM uppers with their SS410 barrel. I never owned one but from what Ive read, its top notch.

Have you thought about just piece mealing your upper? If you don't have the tools to put it together, any gunsmith should do it for less than $40. That way you could get exactly what you want.

I've thought about building my own, but at the moment i'm not interested in it ... I'm really just looking for a pin on upper. I'm checking out the SS410 uppers as we speak.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you aren't in a hurry you should seriously consider ordering a White Oak upper. I've not shot an AR more accurate than my Whit Oak SPR barreled upper. That's including all of the above mentioned, and my Noveske uppers.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    If you aren't in a hurry you should seriously consider ordering a White Oak upper. I've not shot an AR more accurate than my Whit Oak SPR barreled upper. That's including all of the above mentioned, and my Noveske uppers.

My computer must be broken. I can't see the pics

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I have a 16" colt chrome lined barreled black rain ordnance gen 2 upper available, minus the bcg. $420. PM me if interested.

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Ok so, I ended up going with the Stag 3GH. It ended up coming with a chrome BCG upgrade as well. Here are some pics after the build.
    se7avu4e.jpg
    umy6ehyb.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ok so, I ended up going with the Stag 3GH. It ended up coming with a chrome BCG upgrade as well. Here are some pics after the build.
    se7avu4e.jpg
    umy6ehyb.jpg
    One thing. As a Stag 3GH owner and 3-gun competitor you should be aware of some gun magazine tests that indicate the Stag comp is too efficient. It actually causes the muzzle to go down when fired free hand. Fired off a bench this is a bonus but when firing and moving it is not. As a result even the current and former members of the Stag 3-gun team use another comp instead. Other than that it is a great upper although I have changed everything on mine since getting it except the barrel (love the barrel). Shoots well enough so that shooting semi rapid fire I can put 8 of 10 in the 10 ring at 300 yards off a barrier using a 1-4x scope.

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Very Nice. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I'll certainly keep you posted. Hopefully I can get out to the range sometime soon.

One thing. As a Stag 3GH owner and 3-gun competitor you should be aware of some gun magazine tests that indicate the Stag comp is too efficient. It actually causes the muzzle to go down when fired free hand. Fired off a bench this is a bonus but when firing and moving it is not. As a result even the current and former members of the Stag 3-gun team use another comp instead. Other than that it is a great upper although I have changed everything on mine since getting it except the barrel (love the barrel). Shoots well enough so that shooting semi rapid fire I can put 8 of 10 in the 10 ring at 300 yards off a barrier using a 1-4x scope.

Wow, that's interesting to know. Thanks for sharing, some truly great info to know.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have a Stag comp on my daughters AR just for that reason. She only shoots off the bench. My 3 gun rifle wears a PWS 556

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom