• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I looked at a house last night in St. Leonard that I liked, and am flying my wife down on Saturday to take a look at it before I put in an offer.

Mutual Elementary, no RSO's around, quiet dead-end street, 1 acre, well-maintained and updated/upgraded home, original owners for the last 28 years, can't see any other houses from my house, etc.

Are there any major pros or cons to the St. Leonard area around the "Another Place", Broomes Island, Williams Wharf, Wallville area?

I've read that I need to pay a visit to GymRatz.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    It's pretty quiet over there, as it is in most of Calvert County, which I view as a plus. Traffic on the main North-South route (Route 4) is pretty heavy in rush hour. Best seafood restaurant in the area is Jerry's next to tire shop on Route 4, north of St. Leonard. GymRatz is a nice store, and John and his staff are friendly.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Nice area... As long you don't mind travelling to go shopping.. ie. Some stores could be 30-45min drive.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    How long will it be before you are looking through move?
    Depending on your budget and your ride to work you may want to look closer to huntingtown. The schools are better in the huntingtown area.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My inlaws live in St Leonard, so Id avoid the area. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I moved to Calvert three years ago. It's ok. Planning and Zoning seem a bit onerous, but they appear to work with you as opposed to the folks in St Mary's. I'm not a big fan of the sheriff's department, but opinions may vary. No known FFL dealer found to date, but I use those in St Marys. I agree with the Jerry's as the best seafood. There is limited shopping. Not even a Lowe's or home Depot in the county. It's a long commute to DC, but doable. I live in Prince Frederick.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Joking aside. Nice area. Rt 2 and rt 4 can be hell if you commute though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I moved to Calvert three years ago. It's ok. Planning and Zoning seem a bit onerous, but they appear to work with you as opposed to the folks in St Mary's. I'm not a big fan of the sheriff's department, but opinions may vary. No known FFL dealer found to date, but I use those in St Marys. I agree with the Jerry's as the best seafood. There is limited shopping. Not even a Lowe's or home Depot in the county. It's a long commute to DC, but doable. I live in Prince Frederick.
    Not as big as hd or Lowe's.. we have sneades/ace hardware stores ..

Commute wise.. only two bottle necks during rush hour.. Dunkirk and Prince fred..

Unless there's a major accident. Northbound rt 4 typically ok. Southbound over the Solomon's bridge another story..

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Check Lusby

Lusby is just south of St, Lenny's and is closer to the shopping essentials like Giant/Weis for groceries, Sneades for h/w, plenty of marinas, gas and beer stations and the dump. K-12 schools are all close by.

Both are nice areas and you are closer to Gymratz :)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It's not a bad area. A lot depends on what you are looking for, and where you plan on working. If you're working at NAS Pax River, avoid Calvert like the plague. The Solomons bridge is a nightmare...it backs up five miles in the evening. DC traffic has nothing on the area around the base.

The other piece of advice I'd give is to get an application for membership at Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club in ASAP. It's the only shooting club in the region, and the backlog is about two years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Made me look up Maple Valley . Compared to where you're coming from , you'll be out in the country .

I'd think that's a good thing , but running to the store, or popping into town , will now have a different cintext .

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have lived in St. Leonard for the last 10 years and commute to DC each day. Like others said, not a bad area. Better than either Lusby or Prince Frederick. Truthfully I am only in the area because of work, as soon as retirement comes in a few years we are leaving, Maryland is not where I want to live that is for sure. Home prices in St. Leonard aren't too bad, not near the inflated amount of the areas north of Prince Frederick. Good that you found an older home, all of the homes built in the last 15 years in the county are slapped together boxes, no matter the builder. Before you sign on the dotted line, ENSURE that the septic system checks out. Have a qualified independent inspector look it over. If existing systems fail, the cost of replacement can be crazy expensive to comply with current regs. BTW, I am not impressed with Jerrys. Drydock is a much nicer place with much better food. Jerry's is great if you think Golden Corral is a great steak house.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    It's pretty quiet over there, as it is in most of Calvert County, which I view as a plus. Traffic on the main North-South route (Route 4) is pretty heavy in rush hour. Best seafood restaurant in the area is Jerry's next to tire shop on Route 4, north of St. Leonard. GymRatz is a nice store, and John and his staff are friendly.

Thank you for taking the time to input.
    Rush hour won't matter to me much, as I'm not on a fixed schedule and wont be leaving the house 5 days/week.

Nice area... As long you don't mind travelling to go shopping.. ie. Some stores could be 30-45min drive.

I hate shopping, so that will be a burden for my wife to work through. She loves that stuff.

How long will it be before you are looking through move?
    Depending on your budget and your ride to work you may want to look closer to huntingtown. The schools are better in the huntingtown area.

I'm pretty particular on style of house, and I have an imaginary purchase price that I don't want to exceed. I started this search in Lusby, and moved further north. This house that I'm flying my wife in to look at tomorrow is a great balance of schools and cost, while being a house that I actually like.

My inlaws live in St Leonard, so Id avoid the area. ;)

I understand that! My inlaws live in New York. There's a reason I avoid New York... I visit them once every 4-5 years, and I'm quite happy with that arrangement. My MIL is not.

How involved is planning and zoning from the angle of a normal homeowner? I don't expect to have any interaction with them. Same with the county sheriff.

Interesting tidbid about the lack of a big brand home improvement store. Thanks for pointing that out! I never would have expected that.

Joking aside. Nice area. Rt 2 and rt 4 can be hell if you commute though.

No fixed commuting schedule here. Some days I'll be in it, but most days I'll be out of town or just won't leave the house.

Not as big as hd or Lowe's.. we have sneades/ace hardware stores ..

Commute wise.. only two bottle necks during rush hour.. Dunkirk and Prince fred..

Unless there's a major accident. Northbound rt 4 typically ok. Southbound over the Solomon's bridge another story..

I've been to Sneades before a few years ago. Was impressed by their size. Possibly the largest Ace I've ever seen.

Lusby is just south of St, Lenny's and is closer to the shopping essentials like Giant/Weis for groceries, Sneades for h/w, plenty of marinas, gas and beer stations and the dump. K-12 schools are all close by.

Both are nice areas and you are closer to Gymratz :)

Where is the dump? And how does that work? I have become accustomed to throwing my bulk trash/yard/construction debris into the dumpster at my office. I haven't been to a dump or transfer station (outside of work reasons) since living in Dahlgren some 16-ish years ago.

It's not a bad area. A lot depends on what you are looking for, and where you plan on working. If you're working at NAS Pax River, avoid Calvert like the plague. The Solomons bridge is a nightmare...it backs up five miles in the evening. DC traffic has nothing on the area around the base.

The other piece of advice I'd give is to get an application for membership at Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club in ASAP. It's the only shooting club in the region, and the backlog is about two years.

My primary office is in Beltsville, but as I've said above I won't be going there every day. No worries about the Solomons bridge and the ensuing PAX River traffic mess.

I'll take a look at Sanners Lake SC. Thanks for that direction. :thumbsup: Are you a member there?

Made me look up Maple Valley . Compared to where you're coming from , you'll be out in the country .

I'd think that's a good thing , but running to the store, or popping into town , will now have a different cintext .

And the country is exactly what I want. I'm slowly going from city, to suburbs, to country. I'd be even more in the country if I didn't have little kids.

I have lived in St. Leonard for the last 10 years and commute to DC each day. Like others said, not a bad area. Better than either Lusby or Prince Frederick. Truthfully I am only in the area because of work, as soon as retirement comes in a few years we are leaving, Maryland is not where I want to live that is for sure. Home prices in St. Leonard aren't too bad, not near the inflated amount of the areas north of Prince Frederick. Good that you found an older home, all of the homes built in the last 15 years in the county are slapped together boxes, no matter the builder. Before you sign on the dotted line, ENSURE that the septic system checks out. Have a qualified independent inspector look it over. If existing systems fail, the cost of replacement can be crazy expensive to comply with current regs. BTW, I am not impressed with Jerrys. Drydock is a much nicer place with much better food. Jerry's is great if you think Golden Corral is a great steak house.

The septic is actually the item I am the most interested in. I plan on spending a lot of time with the septic inspector as he pumps the tank out and runs his camera around in there. This house does have a septic pump that was replaced earlier this year. I'm guessing the house drains into a sump tank of sorts and is then pumped up into the septic tank to move into the drain field.

The developer or builder of this house was Robert Kaine of Kaine Inc, according to the Covenants signed in May 1989. Any knowledge of him or this company and its quality?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't know which sneades you been in.. the one in lusby is the biggest of the two (twice as big than the one in Owings).

Few recycling centers in Calvert. Unless you live in major town that has trash pick-up.. you have to go to recycling centers for trash.. main one is at appeal/lusby area.

http://www.co.cal.md.us/index.aspx?NID=1753

I'm also a member at sanners.. a hand full of us somd peeps are.. you don't have to be a member if you shoot one of the matches (idpa, uspsa, pin shoot etc.)

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Don't know which sneades you been in.. the one in lusby is the biggest of the two (twice as big than the one in Owings).

Few recycling centers in Calvert. Unless you live in major town that has trash pick-up.. you have to go to recycling centers for trash.. main one is at appeal/lusby area.

http://www.co.cal.md.us/index.aspx?NID=1753

I'm also a member at sanners.. a hand full of us somd peeps are.. you don't have to be a member if you shoot one of the matches (idpa, uspsa, pin shoot etc.)

Great link. Thank you very much.

I have no idea which Sneades I've been to. They had a condensate pump for a close family friends grandparents when I was in town 2-3 years ago just visiting. Fixing that for them got their AC back up and running in May or June.

Nice to know Sanners isn't completely closed to the public. Some Clubs don't allow anybody from the outside in, unless as a guest. I'm more of a long-distance rifle guy, but I can certainly brush up on my shotgun skills and enjoy a few rounds of skeet and 5 Stand. I have an old Beretta AL390 Gold that hasn't seen any action in at least 15 years!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Shopping wise.. other than small box stores..

Groceries.. we have plenty in the county.. Giants, Weis, Safeway and new Harris teeter in Dunkirk..

South..St Mary over the pax bridge has selections of stores on great Mills road.

North.. Bowie has bunch of bigger shopping centers.. along 301/3

West.. Charles county.. littered with stores along rt 5. Lol

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    If you need to go to Beltsville a every now and then. You might want to look at Sunderland N Calvert you could take
    Rt 2 or 4 to get to DC or southern Calvert. Wife drives to Greenbelt NASA from there. Near Tractor supply-Sneades
    between shops of Prince Frederick - Dunkirk - Chesapeake Beach

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    And of course today is just that kinda day.. people not paying attention when driving..

Major accident at southbound route 4 past rt 258 .. medavac couple injured driver according to wtop.

Bailed out at 258 to rt 2.. slow as molasses... and another accident at route 2 before recycling center.. couple miles before it connects back to rt 4.

0afa786f255feb878b92779e27029f4b.jpg

ad80777895c8461e15e43cada921f780.jpg

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Mutual is a great school, no worries there. We are about two miles from the school so just PM me if you need any details. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom