• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpbrews

Feb 18, 2016
    Hey all, I'm new to the MD shooters forums and I have some questions regarding the legality of owning an 80% AR lower. I know it's possible to order them, but a local gun shop told me that unless I'm a licensed gunsmith or FFL dealer, that I cannot finish the machining on an 80% lower to make it into a "firearm" . The lady said it was illegal. But I've heard that as long as I finish the lower, with no intention of selling/giving it away, and use it only for my personal use, that I'm perfectly fine to do so..so here I am asking y'all about this! Thank you in advance for any advice :)

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Hey all, I'm new to the MD shooters forums and I have some questions regarding the legality of owning an 80% AR lower. I know it's possible to order them, but a local gun shop told me that unless I'm a licensed gunsmith or FFL dealer, that I cannot finish the machining on an 80% lower to make it into a "firearm" . The lady said it was illegal. But I've heard that as long as I finish the lower, with no intention of selling/giving it away, and use it only for my personal use, that I'm perfectly fine to do so..so here I am asking y'all about this! Thank you in advance for any advice :)

Worth A Shot perhaps?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Put simply, it's legal to manufacture your own rifle in Maryland as long as it ends up with >16" long HBAR (heavy) barrel. Non-HBAR barrels on a civilian-owned AR rifle are verboten, regardless of who constructs it. On the other hand, AR sidearms 'n' SBRs're alot more fun.

cpbrews

Feb 18, 2016
    Thank you for all of your feedback! I'm quite new to the whole forum thing, I've never joined one before. But I appreciate the information

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You might want to find another gun shop to go to also. Try looking in our Industry Partners section because most of them are quite knowledgeable and very good people to deal with.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    it is legal for a non-licensee to manufacture a firearm for personal use (assuming the person isn't prohibited). search around a bit, the info is out there.

and yes it has to be an HBAR upper if made into a rifle.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Why would you want to do an 80%, if the price of a stripped lower at an FFL is less than the price of an 80%?

Because md tracks what regulated guns you own. 80% have no 77r, and are untraceable unless you look at purchase history. Plus there's a satisfaction to making your own firarm.

cpbrews

Feb 18, 2016
    Why would you want to do an 80%, if the price of a stripped lower at an FFL is less than the price of an 80%?

Mostly I want the satisfaction of completing it myself. I'm a DIY'er, I just love tinkering with things and trying new stuff, so I figured why not?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Easy jig and the $29 TM 80% lowers is the ****

0FFD7705-334C-4CE2-A8AF-11FE6D8BE388_zpspx5cledt.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads