• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hear you both, but long story short, if you keep doing what you're doing you're going to keep getting what you're getting.

I learned a long time ago in business that I've got to change and adapt to my environment because it keeps changing. I do things now that I never would have thought about 10 years ago.

I wish you both well.

We are working on trying new things, but trying new things takes bodies, know hat I mean.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When we have touted victories (shell casing law in 2015 and fingerprint requirement for wear and carry renewal in 2016) most of the folks that respond tend be on the negative side.

No offense and don't take this as a cop out, but apples and oranges. Both VA and WV have issues at the local and county level as well as the state level because neither state has pre-emption, unlike here in Maryland were all of the laws for firearms are set at the state level. However, with that being said, there are some local issues that do crop up from time to time, the problem is one of bringing it to MSI's attention so we can try and do something about it. If we don't know about it, how can there be a call to action?

Somewhat of an answer to this, MSI is working on a grass roots initiative for just this reason, there have been three training sessions the far, and there will be more coming, but it boils down to one thing, participation.

We constantly ask for event for MSI to attend, guess what we get.....crickets. Not a criticism, just a fact at this point in time.

Yep, we are working on revamping that.

Until we file, there really is no update, how many e-mails would you like that simply say, "yep, no update"? <Sarcasm>

This has been discussed, but you would actually be surprised how many people that we deal with, know who/what we are. Now, how to get them to join and/or involved.

We actually have committees and committee chairs, guess how many folks have stepped up to fill the committee spots?? Yep, you got it....crickets. As an aside, I don't do it all, but the officers and the BOD do more than their fair share.

If I may sir for what its worth I was registered for one of the grass roots at sanners lake last month. I wanted to see what it was all about. The first email I received stated just that no obligation come and see what its about. within the next couple days I started receiving emails to watch/ study and to write something about what I read re : emails. And to be thinking of an topic that my friends and myself would like to talk about. So from no obligation to what I felt was a college prep course . so I advised George with in a week of the class that I would not be attending and didn't feel like this would be something I would be interested in after all with apologies.

George provided the information for those that were interested, it does kind of "Prime the pump" for some of the exercises that George does. No need to read anything or write anything if you want to sit in. Feel free to sit in on a future class.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Any advocacy one wants to take on is appreciated, whether it be with MSI or not.

Lead by example.

I've been a MSI member for a few years now. Nothing is more disappointing than watching some members of it turn their noses up and work to belittle, stymie, or discourage the advocacy of others merely because they are not associated with MSI.

That's not the MSI I joined and not one I would remain a member of.

How do we motivate volunteers? By being ambassadors that others look up to and want to stand at the side of. If others are able to pick up the flag when MSI drops it, that's something to be appreciative of as its a time for reflection and self improvement.

There is a lot to be proud of from the past, but there will always be those who fall prey too easily to ignorance. MSI can be that force of knowledge and advocacy.

Remember this the next time someone donates their time or their money to MSI at a gun show or wherever.

:thumbsup:

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    One thing many of the people approaching the booth asked was, "I'm not going to be getting a bunch of spam, am I?"

There is a delicate balance between information and annoyance.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    One thing many of the people approaching the booth asked was, "I'm not going to be getting a bunch of spam, am I?"

There is a delicate balance between information and annoyance.

No, they won't be getting a bunch of spam. MSI does not share it's mailing list with anyone and the only information we put out (we try to do it weekly, but many times it's longer than that) is a simple update on what's going on. During times nearing membership meetings, we do send out a few additional reminders.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Right, I was just trying to convey that many people are worried about getting too much email. So to update members when there is nothing to update on would be considered too much email.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No, they won't be getting a bunch of spam. MSI does not share it's mailing list with anyone and the only information we put out (we try to do it weekly, but many times it's longer than that) is a simple update on what's going on. During times nearing membership meetings, we do send out a few additional reminders.

This is one thing that MSI has been consistent about over all the years I've been part of the organization. I can proudly say to folks that I speak with that MSI protects your privacy, doesn't sell or use your email for any other purpose than to send its members and those that ask to be on the email list information. Information that is relevant and timely, and never any spam.

Any advocacy one wants to take on is appreciated, whether it be with MSI or not.

Lead by example.

I've been a MSI member for a few years now. Nothing is more disappointing than watching some members of it turn their noses up and work to belittle, stymie, or discourage the advocacy of others merely because they are not associated with MSI.

That's not the MSI I joined and not one I would remain a member of.

How do we motivate volunteers? By being ambassadors that others look up to and want to stand at the side of. If others are able to pick up the flag when MSI drops it, that's something to be appreciative of as its a time for reflection and self improvement.

There is a lot to be proud of from the past, but there will always be those who fall prey too easily to ignorance. MSI can be that force of knowledge and advocacy.

Remember this the next time someone donates their time or their money to MSI at a gun show or wherever.

This x100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom