• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'm thinking hard about getting on of these rifles.
    for 1k I can get a great Garand from CMP. for around 700 I can get a great 1903.
    what would you prefer. I want it for accuracy shooting WWII matches.

I also would like to find a nice Enfield

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'd get the garand first, the 1903a3's are my personal favorite, but you are looking at getting one of those on the open market anyway. They will be around, CMP won't have garands at their prices for ever. CMP will also get more a3's later (vets groups are still turning them in) and you can get one of those cheaper at that date.

The 03's kick a lot more than the garands, making the garand a more comfortable rifle to shoot.

and then there's the PING!!!!!!

I'd say, get a service grade (or special service grade), a sling and a few hundred rounds of ammo for your $1000.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I'd get the garand first, the 1903a3's are my personal favorite, but you are looking at getting one of those on the open market anyway. They will be around, CMP won't have garands at their prices for ever. CMP will also get more a3's later (vets groups are still turning them in) and you can get one of those cheaper at that date.

The 03's kick a lot more than the garands, making the garand a more comfortable rifle to shoot.

and then there's the PING!!!!!!

I'd say, get a service grade (or special service grade), a sling and a few hundred rounds of ammo for your $1000.

I'd have to agree with drmsparks. The CMP guns are below market price, and every time the CMP goes out of stock, the open market prices jump. The CMP won't last forever so get a Garand now.

The correct grades are back in stock thanks to the recent Greek Air Force turn in.

As far as the '03, the CMP is out so it's the gun show/gunbroker/dealer route. While prices always seem to be rising, there's no pressing need to buy an '03 now.

TheSwiftOne

Nov 24, 2008
    I want to get a Garand as well but was going to wait until May or June. What's your take on CMP's stock? Think I would be SOL by then?

Thanks...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    1903, Garands are nice and I will probably pick one up at an opportune moment but they are a poorly balanced war club. Just cant imagine carrying one of those monstors.

The 1903 has a nice balance, reasonable weight.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm a big fan of using the C&R at the Harrisburg and York gun shows in the summer for things like that. It's dead up there and the dealers need to at least break even after buying the table. They've told me so. There's something about cash in hand, and no need to do paperwork, that always yields a couple hundred off of the asking price, every time.

I got my Garand and will be working on an 03A3 this summer, possibly. The Luger will come first, however.

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    I want to get a Garand as well but was going to wait until May or June. What's your take on CMP's stock? Think I would be SOL by then?

Thanks...

Still plenty of Garands left. The CMP has crates that have not even been opened.
    Order a SG or the $895.00 CMP special. There are two Specials being offered.

I picked up one of the CMP Specials (RM1SASSP) all correct with the exception of the CMP stock. The price was $795.00, but has just been increased. Still one of the best deals going right now.

RM1SPECIAL M1 Garand, Springfield Special

M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. $995

RM1SASSP M1 Garand, Service Grade Springfield Special.

SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture. $895

The CMP is running out of carbines. Should start showing sold out very soon based on the current order volume.

For those who are members,
    The M1 Collectors club will be doing a complete set of articles on the entire CMP ordering process for the next club letter due out in May of this year.
    Due to the size of the article it will be broken down into several seperate articles.
    The artlcle(s) will highlight the order and delivery process from the delivery of your paperwork and shipping to the customer. Numerous pictures will be included.
    This includes how the CMP checks and test fires the rifles etc.

We hope to also obtain some pictures of the new shipment of ammo and the surplus parts such as the bayonets that the CMP has received.

TheSwiftOne

Nov 24, 2008
    Still plenty of Garands left. The CMP has crates that have not even been opened.

Thanks! That's great news. I'm torn between starting off slow with one of the service grade or going all out and getting sniper model. This hobby really is addictive. :D

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    What about the ones that are not specials like the RM1SAS Service grade for 595.00? I was thinking about getting one of those for my C&R collection. My preference are bolt action rifles, Enfields, Mausers, Mosins etc but I thought I give a Garand a much deserved space in my collection, my familiarity is with the above and not Garands.
    Also can anyone give feedback on CMP ammo, specifically the Greek HXP, was thinking of getting the deal they have on 192 round on clips?

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    What about the ones that are not specials like the RM1SAS Service grade for 595.00? I was thinking about getting one of those for my C&R collection. My preference are bolt action rifles, Enfields, Mausers, Mosins etc but I thought I give a Garand a much deserved space in my collection, my familiarity is with the above and not Garands.
    Also can anyone give feedback on CMP ammo, specifically the Greek HXP, was thinking of getting the deal they have on 192 round on clips?

The current selection of Service Grade rifles are real nice. Most tend to be Greek Air Force returns. The postings with pictures on the CMP forum show real nice looking Garands many with super clean stocks with nice DAS stampings.

For a mail order option you cannot go wrong with the current SG rifles.

Cannot speak about the most current offering of HXP but I have purchsed and fired both the ammo from the 192 round cans and it has been great to fire. All the rounds have been clean and bright.

The 240 round cans some of the rounds were tarnished due to what is thought to be the glue used to seal the cardboard boxes.

On the subject of the M1D Garands the rifles are real nice. Most appear to have gone through a rebuild program, hence the "RA" marked stocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom