• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MSP FLD told me unequivocally over the phone that anything not in 5.56/.223 is not a clone and GTG in an AR. I'm pretty cautious and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I wanted one. I'd be more scared of paying a dollar a round than anything, but that's just me. :)

Call back again, and you will get a different answer.

The law does not mention caliber for the AR (it does from some banned rifles, like the Mini 14 with folding stock).

But if you assume that 5.56 is the only one banned by name, a .300 BO meets the Copy test, based on the AG letter. You can swap any one part between a 5.56 AR and a .300 BO and both will still function. This is because the only difference is the barrel.

A .458 SOCOM would not meet this test, as the barrel AND bolt are different.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I trust your word zoo.

It would be nice for them to publish that. :D

Yeah right.

If he called back 15 minutes later, he would have gotten a different answer.

And considering than the MSP banned rifle list is not binding, even if they put it in writing.........

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HOLY CRAP...I Hope Pinecone READ THAT...:party29:

And I thought this was going to be "another" fiasco...

I refer you back to MSP answers on whether you could make a pre-ban lower into a pre-ban configuration.

At least 5 people emailed then, and got back 3 different answers (in writing), Yes, No, and we don't know yet.

Later, they changed their minds and officially changed it to Yes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    how did they know it was post 2013?

There is no database of when a receiver was sold.

The manufacturer can tell the MSP when it was made and shipped.

If it was MADE after 10/1/13, it would have been hard to sell before then. :)

And yes, the purchaser could have had a purchase order pre-ban, but then they could show that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, but remember the background check isn't a registry right??????

;)

In MD it is.

You "voluntarily" register all regulated transfers.

Of course, the only way to NOT volunteer to register, is to not buy.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

The law does not mention caliber for the AR (it does from some banned rifles, like the Mini 14 with folding stock).

But if you assume that 5.56 is the only one banned by name, a .300 BO meets the Copy test, based on the AG letter. You can swap any one part between a 5.56 AR and a .300 BO and both will still function. This is because the only difference is the barrel.

Actually I had the conversation with them several times, the rest of aren't stupid, really. I got the same answer. A caliber change makes it incompatible according to them.

But I will agree that with nothing in writing from them you can never be completely sure what will happen from day to day.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    But I will agree that with nothing in writing from them you can never be completely sure what will happen from day to day.

Even if you do get it in writing, all you'll have is another piece of evidence that your lawyer can argue about in court for you.

At $300 per hour.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just don't go walking up to the next trooper you see and hand him your rifle asking, ''is this rifle legal to own?''. :sarcasm:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Okay... swap out the barrel and continue to fire the same 5.56/.223 ammunition... Let us know how that works out for you.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Just don't go walking up to the next trooper you see and hand him your rifle asking, ''is this rifle legal to own?''. :sarcasm:

That is not sarcasm... It is the truth... How else did the SU16C get banned? It was not even on their radar.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Okay... swap out the barrel and continue to fire the same 5.56/.223 ammunition... Let us know how that works out for you.

Fine, not very accurate, but it works fine. 5.56 will chamber and fire in a .300 BO firearm.

Now, if you had said to try shooting the .300 BO in the 5.56 barrel, that is a bit different. But it will still FUNCTION. It will fire one round. :)

The AG letter says FUNCTION. To MOST people, appropriate ammo is assumed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That is not sarcasm... It is the truth... How else did the SU16C get banned? It was not even on their radar.

The sarcasm was to note that WE SHOULD already know not to do this, but you are right, they're still out there...:thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Fine, not very accurate, but it works fine. 5.56 will chamber and fire in a .300 BO firearm.

Now, if you had said to try shooting the .300 BO in the 5.56 barrel, that is a bit different. But it will still FUNCTION. It will fire one round. :)

The AG letter says FUNCTION. To MOST people, appropriate ammo is assumed.

Function also means that you don't destroy the firearm, by firing the wrong ammo in it. If the firearm is to function, it requires the correct ammo.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Pinecone, 556 will chamber in 300blk? I have never tried it but how? The shoulder is farther forward in 556 than 300 I can see it feeding partially but not the bolt closing

Is a 300blk chamber really that loose ?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Function also means that you don't destroy the firearm, by firing the wrong ammo in it. If the firearm is to function, it requires the correct ammo.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

I would say function test would be with the correct ammo. It says swap PARTS. Ammo is not part of the firearm.

But you CAN shoot 5.56 in a .300 BO rifle. It will not blow up or destroy it.

Shooting .300 BO in a 5.56 will work, for ONE round. :) Except the bullet does not leave the barrel. But it gets REALLY long. :)

Attachments

• 300-aac-blackout-5.56-rifle.jpg
      300-aac-blackout-5.56-rifle.jpg
      70 KB · Views: 390

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone, 556 will chamber in 300blk? I have never tried it but how? The shoulder is farther forward in 556 than 300 I can see it feeding partially but not the bolt closing

Is a 300blk chamber really that loose ?

Actually, I am not sure. The shoulder on the .300 BO is not that large.

I do know you can chamber .300 BO in a 5.56 rifle.

I will have to try a 5.56 dummy round in my .300 BO when I get a chance.

My point was, the 5.56 round fired in a .300 BO will not go boom. The bullet will just not be stabilized.

I have accidentally fired .40 S&W in a .45 ACP. Someone put some .40 rounds in my bag of .45, they fit in the mags and feed. Most times they do not fire and slide out the barrel if you tip it down. But sometimes the extractor will catch them and they will fire. The mouth comes out .45 size.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    So someone correct me if I am wrong?!

If you purchased a lower before 10/1/2013 you filled out a 4473 and a 77R. Therefore that lower was put in the MSP database(because you know they have one...only a fool would believe they don't). So if you get pulled over with a non-H-Bar upper it should come up with a hit due to the 77R that was filled out on the lower? The lowers that were 80% and purchased after 10/1/2013 aren't treated the same as pre-banned lowers with the 77R. So if you truly have a pre-banned lower it exist in their system by serial no#? I could be wrong but just a thought

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So someone correct me if I am wrong?! If you purchased a lower before 10/1/2013 you filled out a 4473 and a 77R. Therefore that lower was put in the MSP database(because you know they have one...only a fool would believe they don't). So if you get pulled over with a non-H-Bar upper it should come up with a hit due to the 77R that was filled out on the lower? The lowers that were 80% and purchased after 10/1/2013 aren't treated the same as pre-banned lowers with the 77R. So if you truly have a pre-banned lower it exist in their system by serial no#? I could be wrong but just a thought

You are right. MSP Has records of when you bought it. You can put whatever profile you want on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom