• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Was in that area yesterday and a couple things...

Some of the planes coming in there are hucking FUGE!!

The other thing I thought I saw (but it was cloudy/foggy at the time) were fighters (F-18??) coming in fully loaded.

Is that normal, is there something going on we need to know about, or might it just be training/inert ordnance mounted?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would hope that AAFB would be 100% locked and loaded 24/365.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    The Huge planes coming out of there are usually C-17 and KC-135's. The C-17 is a beauty of a plane IMHO that can haul the M1 Abrahms

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I saw a couple of C 5 land at Dover along time ago when we were there with Boy Scouts. Those things are wild to see land, they look like they are floating out of the sky into the runway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would hope that AAFB would be 100% locked and loaded 24/365.

They are now, that may not have always been the case prior to 9/11 or likely they did, but were just not a part of the NORAD mission. The closest at that time with a NORAD mission were F-16s stationed at Langely, which is why they were the first over DC.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I saw a couple of C 5 land at Dover along time ago when we were there with Boy Scouts. Those things are wild to see land, they look like they are floating out of the sky into the runway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would fly out on those and C-17's all the time. As soon as we knew we were going to be on a C5 we would know to tack on a few extra hours. They seem to always break down.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Was in that area yesterday and a couple things...

Some of the planes coming in there are hucking FUGE!!

The other thing I thought I saw (but it was cloudy/foggy at the time) were fighters (F-18??) coming in fully loaded.

Is that normal, is there something going on we need to know about, or might it just be training/inert ordnance mounted?

Air to Air ? Cool.

Air to sea? Curious.

Ground attack?? Worried.

Bombs? Terrified.

I hope Air to Air. ;)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I find this thread interesting. I work on Andrews AFB, probably about a mile or so from the flight line, and I don't notice hardly any of that stuff. We're constantly getting choppers, (to include Marine 1) passenger jets (to include AF1) C-17s, KC-135s, F16s, etc. I don't often see F-18s - usually only when the Blue Angels are coming in for something or other, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I mean, Andrews is a pretty busy air base - unless you see scads of fighters flying in and out, I'd assume it was business as usual.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I put the kitchen in the Air Force One hangar many years ago and we used to go out at lunch time and watch the various aircraft take off and land. Maybe it's the 14 year old in me but I have always found it fascinating.

A painter died on that project. It was about 10:30 in the morning and all the trades start rushing outside the kitchen area into the hangar and there he was laid out on the floor. Fell from a lift about 35' up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom