• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Wow the red book.... I think there was a yellow book too. I had one, brings back memories. The smell of radio...

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Speaking strictly for me, that's only 15% off new price ($345) for probably several-years-old used equipment with unknown (to me) history and no warranty. For that little a difference, why not buy new?

The ham used market is almost as good for sellers as the used gun market. :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    As a professional technologist of sorts, I’ve taken to heart the warning not to spend dough on radio gear until I’ve marinated in this stuff for a while longer. I get it. It’s why I’ve been happy as Mr. Baofeng so far! But ... I have already grown weary of doing the cabling and loose-object-in-the-cockpit dance while driving. I’d like to permanently mount a decent VHF/UHF in the truck. Perhaps something with a decently smart mic for data entry, maybe a removable display/head for security. Something that will look out for me on SWR in case of cable/antenna shenanigans.

Yes: I don’t know what I don’t know. Budget... under $400 would be nice. Ish. But dang there’s a lot wade through out there, and some practical guidance, with an eye on currently available products from reputable manufacturers would be great. I know ... “I want a gun, what should I buy?” I don’t mean to come across that way! But here I am. Thanks in advance!

I have experience with the two models.

Yeasu FTM-100DR 50w With Digital mode. Can be found for about $290

Yeasu FTM-400XDR Basically the same base unit as the FTM-100 but has dual VFO plus GPS and APRS. This is what I’m using in the car. They go for $450 but it’s a great mobile radio IMO.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    You don't know me, so I won't take that personal. Some people might feel differently. Might want to be more tactful in the future.

Speaking strictly for me, that's only 15% off new price ($345) for probably several-years-old used equipment with unknown (to me) history and no warranty. For that little a difference, why not buy new?

The ham used market is almost as good for sellers as the used gun market. :)

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have just followed a rabbit down a rabbit hole. The critter had “APRS” tattooed on its rear end.

This really is every bit as bad as that “have you ever shot a pistol caliber carbine before?” discussion. Dammit.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I have experience with the two models.

Yeasu FTM-100DR 50w With Digital mode. Can be found for about $290

Yeasu FTM-400XDR Basically the same base unit as the FTM-100 but has dual VFO plus GPS and APRS. This is what I’m using in the car. They go for $450 but it’s a great mobile radio IMO.

The Ftm100 also has aprs and gps. The main difference is the 400 has two independent VFOs. You can do cross band repeat with the 400 because of that. They are both excellent radios. I have ftm100s

They also have c4fm mode which is Yaesu’s digital mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Which of those radios is the most likely to have a feature that will also preserve my marriage? :)

That or I need someone to help me stage an emergency that only a fancy radio can help us escape.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Having most of what you seem to be looking for, I wouldn't pass up the Icom 2730A. May not have some of the features of more expensive choices, but I really like mine. And for $261.95 right now from HRO, it's tough to beat.

YMMV

Good luck with your search!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm finding that my budget expectations are expanding along with my awareness of what some of the fancier-pants radios can do. As an IT guy, I'd probably be foolish indeed not to get a mobile radio that can support data packet hoo-hah. Fascinating reading I'm doing right now.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Which of those radios is the most likely to have a feature that will also preserve my marriage? :)

That or I need someone to help me stage an emergency that only a fancy radio can help us escape.

Marriage is an emergency that Amateur radio can help you escape.

Last edited:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Most of the used stuff seems to go for prices within spitting distance of new, at least on evilBay. Asking prices on craigslist are sometimes higher than new! Even here in the classifieds used gear has not really been a bargain. Maybe that's because the Big 3 gear is so reasonably priced now that there is less room for the used market? For the prices I'm seeing, worth it to buy new from a reputable dealer and get a warranty. Maybe I'm just not good at finding deals or negotiating. :o

Lotsa truth in this. I was thinking of picking up another 706MKIIG to put in a vehicle. Scanned ebay and the prices were appalling. One just popped up on QRZ for $650. I paid $700 out the door (and they included a bunch of accessories, like the separation cable and mounting plate) at that time) in about 2001 (I would guess).

The 706 is still a nice little radio but used prices for a 20 year old radio are ridiculous. Another part of the reason I jumped to a 7300.

I will say, that running HDSDR can 'moderize' just about any old(er) radio that has an IF out and CIV control. A cheap older HF rig need only serve as the front end and IF for a modern panadapter and SDR audio out...

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    The only 706's selling under $500 are broken. Anything working is getting $500 minimum and goes up from there.

Really, it's good news because that means ham radio is popular, and more hams means more power when the .gov - I mean the Idjit Pai's owned by the .com's - come for our spectrum.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I see that pricing all the time on QRZ and eham.net. Not sure if that stuff sells or not, but when you do see something priced like it should be, those items seem to get sold pretty fast.

Not hammering anyone, but most of the pricing I see for used equipment pushes me to purchase things new. Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly don't see a reason not to spend just a little more and buy things new. Having said that, I have purchased some things used (Kenwood TS 440S and my tower) that I thought were offered at a great price.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have bought from several sellers on qrz.com, and qth.com classifieds. I have not been burned yet. I picked the qth.com stuff up in person. qrz.com has a good verification system. A local ham is best of course. I don't pay until I have tested it.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I wasn’t doubting the quality of items, just saying that most listed prices I see are close to the new prices. I think right now there are two 7300’s for sale on QRZ. One is listed at 750 and the other is at 825. HRO has it now for 925, and that’s new with warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom