• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    He's very meticulous which helps but this really is his passion. The Royal Enfield is actually the only modern bike. (Don't remember what year. It's electric/kick start and has been set up to mimic the old bike. That's the only one I've ridden other than his 1972 HD Sportster. The Enfield was cool but a bitch to ride. All of these bikes including the HD, have the shifter on the right which I'm somewhat used to. (I used to have a 1970 XLCH Sportster)
    The Enfield shift pattern is one up, three down. Had to constantly think of which gear I was in and what gear I wanted to be in next. Confusing as hell.

My previous road bikes were a 71 Triumph TR6R Tiger and a 71 BSA A65 Lightening, both shifted on the right. I missed more than a few shifts on the new bike because of muscle memory even though I hadn't ridden in over 20 years.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My previous road bikes were a 71 Triumph TR6R Tiger and a 71 BSA A65 Lightening, both shifted on the right. I missed more than a few shifts on the new bike because of muscle memory even though I hadn't ridden in over 20 years.

Yeah it takes some time. I got used to shifting on the right but every once in a while I would get them mixed up.
    My buddy has been riding bikes that shift on the right for so long it's just second nature to him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I've got a 2016 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin and I love everything about it. No problems at all and I ride it year round.

The crew at Chesapeake Cycles in Annapolis are pretty helpful if you wanted to stop in to see their showroom or even take a test ride. Their lineup of Indians are pretty friggin sweet as well.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    First thing I noticed, "The Sex Symbol Of Motorcycling" I think they called it.

c1c750e01f00128ea78b1f594bd677bd--norton-motorcycle-girl-motorcycle.jpg

Looks exactly like the one I had years ago except I could never get the covers looking that shiny
    69 750 Commando Black with gold striping
    That bike was a blast to ride

Bought it from a friend, sold it back to him 10 years later.
    He passed a few years ago, have no idea what happened to the bike.
    I miss him and that damn bike :(

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Looks exactly like the one I had years ago except I could never get the covers looking that shiny
    69 750 Commando Black with gold striping
    That bike was a blast to ride

Bought it from a friend, sold it back to him 10 years later.
    He passed a few years ago, have no idea what happened to the bike.
    I miss him and that damn bike :(

Even scoots at that time were like many cars compared to today..... beautiful. Reliability issues in many cases but still works of art to the eye.

In some cases it's still the same today, Jeep electrics for instance = Corvair, Edsal and Pinto.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Well, I replaced my Yamaha WR250R with a brand new Triumph Scrambler (photo below) when some of the best "The Charm City" :sarcasm: has to offer (it turned up a couple months ago in a stolen property "dump house" in Baltimore City) stole it from the Brunswick MARC station last year. Insurance pretty much took care of the trade out for the most part. It is my daily commuter and I love it so far.

I ride almost every day of the year. I only take the pickup when there is salt on the roads or when the rain is too heavy of when the temps drop into the teens. For me reliability has been the 100% top priority. Which to me, means Yamaha. My Yamaha Super Tenere is blast to ride on/off road and has been 110% reliable over the last couple years but it has no soul. It is simply an utterly reliable, never fail machine. Photo below of it all set up for a camping trip. I also take it on long distance turkey hunts. Before it was ripped off, my WR250R was utterly reliable no matter how hard I beat on it. I rode her HARD and she never hiccuped. Miss that bike!

The Triumph has boatloads of soul, perhaps due to its imperfections. So far, having had it about a year and a half, it has proven 100% reliable but it is not perfect. It likes to die on you sometimes if you don't warm it up enough. It restarts no problem but that is a pain.

Bottom line, to answer your question, from what I hear and what I have experienced riding both Jap and Triumph over the last few years, the Triumph will never be as mechanically perfect as a say, a Yamaha, BUT it is still plenty fine nonetheless and you will not regret the purchase. People comment almost every day on how beautiful it looks. I have never gotten a compliment about the Yamaha. If that stuff matters to you... well..

I'd say, go ahead and hit a Triumph dealer and see if they have one that grabs you. You will be happy!

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_4424_2.JPG

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My brother's Speed Triple

Attachments

• Triumph 002.jpg
      Triumph 002.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 249
    • Triumph 003.jpg
      Triumph 003.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 272
    • Triumph 004.jpg
      Triumph 004.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 251

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Yes, I LOVE old school looks with nowadays reliability. My old Bonney wasn't exactly terrible, oil leaks no biggie, you had oil in it, built in dipstick. ;). After maybe 10K miles head gasket.... one day with a aftermarket manual and less than 20 dollars for the gasket it was fixed.

Wasn't the torker of the Sportster or Norton but it still had chug chug chug like the other twins.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Netflix has a program called "The Motorbike Show" based in England. If you want to see some classic British Iron and even I dare say classic Japanese bikes it's worth watching. It jumps around from segment to segment a lot but seeing old scooters is worth it to me. Vincent's, Brough Superior, Beezers, Triumph's, Norton's, Triton, Norvin, and a gamet of others. They're restoring a 1970 Triumph T120 in the episode I'm watching now.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I've been loving my tiger 800 abs. I wish I had just sacked up and gotten the taller xc and/or waited a year for electronic cruise. But, it has been dead reliable and a very powerful 800cc triple.

Attachments

• tiger 800.jpg
      tiger 800.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 436
    • tiger 800 wc.jpg
      tiger 800 wc.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 421

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I've been loving my tiger 800 abs. I wish I had just sacked up and gotten the taller xc and/or waited a year for electronic cruise. But, it has been dead reliable and a very powerful 800cc triple.

Should I leap I want to go old school look, twin Bonneville. Not much room for she with wide ass on any of them. That could be to my advantage. :)

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I picked up this 12 Thunderbird Storm yesterday, it will go with my T120 nicely for different riding styles.

Attachments

• 20171216_145803.jpg
      20171216_145803.jpg
      125.7 KB · Views: 379

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Those look really comfortable and sort of retro '70's or '80s style. If I retire to Thailand, I'll be getting a TT style direct from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom