• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    right, no carry within 100 yards of a school, church, roadway, liquor store, bank etc..

I believe they'll allow you to use Maryland's roadways.

To enter Maryland borders. To leave Maryland borders. With no stopping in between.

There are many, many, times when state's rights are a great thing. This is not one of those times.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    does this mean if a marylander has a non-resident permit from utah, they can carry in MD?

I believe Utah non-resident permit will allow us to carry concealed in our home state of Maryland. Here is the important language from the bill:

"...a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm,"

meaning law-abiding persons like us, who are not federally prohibited persons​

"who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person,"

like our Maryland driver's licenses​

"and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State"

It say a state, (not restrictive language like a person's state of residence, or residential carry permit) so a carry permit from any state will do
    "and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm"

a Utah non-resident permit does just this​

"or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,"

this is to cover constitutional carry states​

"may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device)..."

There you have it, this last clause tells us what having all of the above mentioned identification and permits allow us to​
    do.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    The MGA will write and pass veto proof legislation preventing you from using your Utah permit in 99.999% of Maryland.

Guaranteed. MGA will outlaw non-resident permits faster than you can say "watch for a Hogan pigeon hole".

What also happens with a national reciprocity law is states have to look at the savings in ending their non-resident permit processing as essentially they would no longer be needed by anyone.

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Since most MD permits have "When working as ...." restrictions how would out of state permits work since most people coming to MD are not "working while here?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Doubtful.

You'll still have states like UT and VA that will cash in on the revenue (albeit as minor as it might be).

Have faith in the almighty dollar.

NH is in it for the hundred bucks, and we're in it so we can carry in PA.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Doubtful.

You'll still have states like UT and VA that will cash in on the revenue (albeit as minor as it might be).

Have faith in the almighty dollar.

Also, don't forget about the Gun Free School Zones Act. I don't recall seeing any wording in either the House or Senate bills that negate it. I'll maintain my VA NR permit for that and as a backup to the DC permit.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Left- The NRA is trying to kill more children.
    Right- Gun owners only want to protect their families when they travel. Planned parenthood actually wants to kill children. Literally.
    Left- Don’t bring up Planned Parenthood, Roe V. Wade is the Law of the Land.
    Right- You mean like the 2nd amendment?
    Left- 18th century, outdated, doesn’t count.
    Right- But 19th century genocidal eugenics from Margaret Sanger are still applicable?
    Left- Ugh, we just can’t believe you want more children to die by the gun.
    Right- But forceps and vacuums are ok?
    Left- Fetuses aren’t babies yet.
    Right- My Glock is just a hammer until I pull the trigger.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Left- The NRA is trying to kill more children.
    Right- Gun owners only want to protect their families when they travel. Planned parenthood actually wants to kill children. Literally.
    Left- Don’t bring up Planned Parenthood, Roe V. Wade is the Law of the Land.
    Right- You mean like the 2nd amendment?
    Left- 18th century, outdated, doesn’t count.
    Right- But 19th century genocidal eugenics from Margaret Sanger are still applicable?
    Left- Ugh, we just can’t believe you want more children to die by the gun.
    Right- But forceps and vacuums are ok?
    Left- Fetuses aren’t babies yet.
    Right- My Glock is just a hammer until I pull the trigger.

Well stated.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Also, don't forget about the Gun Free School Zones Act. I don't recall seeing any wording in either the House or Senate bills that negate it. I'll maintain my VA NR permit for that and as a backup to the DC permit.

Um, yes there is 922q contains the language for GFSZA. It would also eliminate the stupid BATFE opinion that you must have a license from the state the school is located in.

HR 38, then Title 18 922)q)

Attachments

• gfsza.jpg
      gfsza.jpg
      20.9 KB · Views: 209
    • grsza2.jpg
      grsza2.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 196

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    General question, House version of a bill has to be approved then sent to Senate to be approved(or shelved), then POTUS.

Senate version of a bill gets approved then to the POTUS. No house ? To me that might be crap flowing up hill?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No, if both bills pass, the differences are then worked out in a House-Senate Conference committee. Then both bills go back to their respective body for a final vote.

Then they unified bill goes to POTUS for signature.

The Senate version is very watered down as of now.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

Source: Congress.gov H.R. 38 page

The portion I've bolded above worries me. Does this not make concealed carry all or nothing? If reciprocity under this bill is contingent on a given state allowing concealed carry of any kind, then what's stopping may-issue states like Maryland from passing a law making the state no-issue and preventing ANYONE from carrying here? I wouldn't put it past our state legislators.

Apologies if this has already been answered within the thread - I didn't read through all 224 existing pages of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom