Which 4 suppressor builds would you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have firearms in the following cartridges:

.22lr
    9mm
    .40 S&W
    45 ACP
    .222 Rem
    .223 Rem
    7.62x39
    .300BLK
    .25-06
    .270 Win
    .30-06
    .300 Win Mag.
    .338 Lapua
    .458 SOCOM

What 4 suppressors would you build to accommodate the above? B tube, C tube, D tube, Wix fuel filter? What exit hole diameters would you use. For instance, a D tube to be used for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP would lose some of it effectiveness when shooting 9mm or .40 S&W out of it.

I am trying to figure out how to submit my Form 1 and have enough of a budget for 4 of them (i.e., $800). Might be able to squeeze out a 5th, but not sure.

Would you just not put a suppressor on any of the .30 cal long action rifles or the .338 Lapua?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It all comes down to your personal preferences and priorities. Supressors for .338 Lapula,.300 WM, etc certainly exist. If it is important to you, then you certainly should do so.

But if you decide to skip them, it will make your projects much simplier and less expensive.

Likewise, up to you to decide you priorities between bore and case capacity specific supressors, and multiple cal usage. ( ie eitherloss of efficency or being larger/ heavier than needed.)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I heard a rumor that using a 45 can for smaller calibers could possibly have more db reduction than a can for that specific smaller caliber ?? I't could be wrong but I did hear that somewhere.
    I have to get some more Form 1's in, dammit.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I would do one for the .22 lr, one for the pistol calibers and subsonic .458, one for rifle cartridges from 30-06 down, and one for 300 win mag and 338 lapua

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    .22 can: C tube
    .45 can to 9mm D-tube 6 inch Ti build
    .30 cal-.223 D-tube 8 inch (no bipod) to 10 inch build (bipod?).
    Not sure about the larger calibers. Ask Weber in the suppressor build thread... he may have answers for larger calibers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I heard a rumor that using a 45 can for smaller calibers could possibly have more db reduction than a can for that specific smaller caliber ?? I't could be wrong but I did hear that somewhere. I have to get some more Form 1's in, dammit.

It could be. Larger volume can make a difference. .22 is much quieter through my 9mm Multimount than through my dedicated .22 can. Of course, it's about 3 times the volume. Look at the De Lisle carbine, the volume on that sucker is impressive and it registers 85 db.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It could be. Larger volume can make a difference. .22 is much quieter through my 9mm Multimount than through my dedicated .22 can. Of course, it's about 3 times the volume. Look at the De Lisle carbine, the volume on that sucker is impressive and it registers 85 db.

Interesting. I haven't tried any larger calibers on my 22's. Is that on a rifle host? I just got a multimount put of jail and haven't tried it yet.
    Any issues with lead build up in the centerfire cans?
    I like that De Lisle. Wonder how much they cost?
    ETA, according to the wiki, only 129 were produced. Hey doc, my birthday is coming up.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I would do one for the .22 lr, one for the pistol calibers and subsonic .458, one for rifle cartridges from 30-06 down, and one for 300 win mag and 338 lapua

Depending on the can some 7.62 cans are 300WM rated. I have one. A tactical operations 30 titanium, a Little tingly but very quiet with a minimum poi shift from unsuppressed and recoil reduction of approx. 50% hope this helps.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My Multimount was my first suppressor. I used it on .22s for over a year before I bought a dedicated .22 suppressor. It was very easy to keep clean.

I still prefer using it on .22 rifles.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    .22 can: C tube
    .45 can to 9mm D-tube 6 inch Ti build
    .30 cal-.223 D-tube 8 inch (no bipod) to 10 inch build (bipod?).
    Not sure about the larger calibers. Ask Weber in the suppressor build thread... he may have answers for larger calibers.

Thanks. Think I am going to build 5 of them.

.22lr C Tube
    .40 D-tube 6 inch Ti
    .45 D tube 6 inch Ti that can hopefully deal with .458 SOCOM
    .30 D tube 10 inch stainless steel for 7.62x39, .300 blk, .223, and maybe .300 WM (Debating titanium on this build too. Talked to my FFL about the titanium builds and heat build up, and he said it isn't a worry other than with full auto)
    .338 Napa 4003/Wix 24003 fuel filter with the guts removed

Time to price everything out and break the bank between ordering the tubes, undrilled end caps, and applying for the stamps. July 13th is fast approaching. Going to have enough firearms projects going on to last me a decade.

Thanks everybody for the help.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think it is...liberty that makes one, a new model...that would do all those calibers except .338 and 458. You just swap out end caps...and the larger tube, with larger volumn does make the smaller calibers quieter...they run around $1100 but, with all that versatility, it is worth it...check them out. There are actually 2 or 3 manufacturers now that have just come out with multi caliber cans...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think it is...liberty that makes one, a new model...that would do all those calibers except .338 and 458. You just swap out end caps...and the larger tube, with larger volumn does make the smaller calibers quieter...they run around $1100 but, with all that versatility, it is worth it...check them out. There are actually 2 or 3 manufacturers now that have just come out with multi caliber cans...

Just looked at Liberty's site and was starting to get excited. Thought I might be able to get away with one purchase, no manufacturing, and have everything I need, because reading through Weber's thread was making my head hurt.

However, the Mystic X will handle .17 HMR to 7.62x39. Something tells me that the long action cartridges (e.g., .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Lapua) will break that $799 MSRP can.

Believe there is a can out there by SilencerCo called the Hybrid that is supposed to cover everything up to and including .338. However, the website does not specifically say .338 Lapua and I am not sure what the decibel rating would be for .338 Lapua.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

$999 MSRP for the SilencerCo Hybrid.

Still thinking it will be better to build a bunch of suppressors that are more tuned to specific firearms/cartridges versus one size fits all. So, back to racking my brain. Think I am going to start a spreadsheet now.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I feel your pain fabs. I'm in the exact same boat. I at least have .22 covered and a stamp for a .30 cal. I'm looking for an easy, one size fits all solution. It would be nice. I'm looking at the Hybrid too, but it's gets heavy when you configure it for a pistol, just over 18oz. I don't know if I can build a 9mm can for much under that weight.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No.

Just put the size of the hole you intend to put in the baffles and endcap. ie .30 .45 9mm etc

What you shoot through it does not matter
    I was more curious about how the cans with interchangeable end caps are filed, like theswiftone mentioned. Form 4 for each end cap, no way.
    Could I put a .22 caliber end cap on my .308 can, have the stamp already. I have another reason to call atf so maybe I'll run that by them too. Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom