• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Got a billion dollars worth of ammo laying around?
    Just destroy it, what good is it anyways....

Report: Pentagon to destroy $1B in ammunition
    http://www.stripes.com/report-pentagon-to-destroy-1b-in-ammunition-1.280372

If there were any real patriots in charge at the Pentagon, I think they would sell or even give the ammo away to citizens who could use it!
    But instead of making some money back they will pay someone to destroy it and waste even more tax money.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I just saw this too.

A lot of it is probably "armor piercing" stuff that we commoners can't own, but I'm sure A LOT of it is the same stuff in our homes. Even if they don't sell it, why not share with other agencies or LE before just getting rid of it?

WE paid for that ammunition.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Heard about that this morning and it made no sense.

Report said (and it may not be accurate), that it's all viable, but they are destroying it because inventory systems between branches are not compatible?!!

Something smells funny.

(note: article won't load for me)

Last edited:

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll be writing to Sen. Ted Cruz to suggest that he propose a bill that would mandate all such small arms ammo (7.62mm and below) be distributed to the CMP and available for public purchase.

Kinda tongue-in-cheek, but I'll write him nonetheless.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Destroying it because inventory systems between branches are not compatible?!!

Article says there's no way to know how much of it is viable because the inventory systems aren't compatible, not the ammo is being destroyed because of incompatible systems.

Looks to me like the services are destroying "old" ammo. And it got to that age potentially because the systems don't allow commands to accurately see who has what, so there might be a million rounds of 9mm in a warehouse somewhere that nobody but the warehouse guys know about, leading DoD to buy another million rounds new to ship to the sandbox. Getting material inventory tracking up to par seems like something that should be right in DLA's wheelhouse.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Hmm...

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
      Unknown.jpg
      6.8 KB · Views: 618

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'll be writing to Sen. Ted Cruz to suggest that he propose a bill that would mandate all such small arms ammo (7.62mm and below) be distributed to the CMP and available for public purchase.

Kinda tongue-in-cheek, but I'll write him nonetheless.

That would actually make excellent sense.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    .223/7.62/.50 is always being rotated to ranges. I don't know how many times I have been told to shoot the whole pallet because they don't want to call back the hemmitt to pick it up. 9mm and 12 gauge is dicey because it is rather hard to come across in the regular army [even in country]. It also is not a range round [normally] and I could very well see it sitting for long periods. We got our shotguns right before deploying and had to give them back before returning.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Allen West picked up the story.

Write your congress people and let them know. I wrote mine.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone else think that this is a cover for ammo that will wind up being shipped to some guerilla forces somewhere to aid rebels in that region?

TheSwiftOne

Nov 24, 2008
    I'm sure someone somewhere said the govt can't sell the ammo because it would flood the market and drive the price of ammo down. Kind of like the govt paying farmers to not produce. ...wait, that's why the govt is buying all of the ammo, to keep prices up so that manufacturers don't go out of business. They're just helping the economy. :tinfoil:

-Swift

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The chances of those rounds coming to us is being overly optimistic.

Maybe at us, but never to us.

They will use the destruction of these rounds to justify the procurement of fresh rounds.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The chances of those rounds coming to us is being overly optimistic.

Maybe at us, but never to us.

They will use the destruction of these rounds to justify the procurement of fresh rounds.

I agree but it's worthwhile to make a lot of noise to those in power. Let them feel the heat. It is NOT just about ammo, or the 2A, or even Government waste. It is about abject stupidity on your dime.

My mom used to yell at me for wasting toilet paper, water or electricity... why can't we yell at the Government for wasting this ammo.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It was probably 6 cases of .223 they got from "Cheaper Than Dirt" a year ago.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Article says there's no way to know how much of it is viable because the inventory systems aren't compatible, not the ammo is being destroyed because of incompatible systems.

Looks to me like the services are destroying "old" ammo. And it got to that age potentially because the systems don't allow commands to accurately see who has what, so there might be a million rounds of 9mm in a warehouse somewhere that nobody but the warehouse guys know about, leading DoD to buy another million rounds new to ship to the sandbox. Getting material inventory tracking up to par seems like something that should be right in DLA's wheelhouse.

^^Thanks, your's seems to be the only rational statement directly related to the article. Reading it, the writer specifically addresses the incompatibility of intra-service systems. I still recall during the Grenada War, the Army Captain who had to call Ft. Bragg to relay orders to another unit on Granada because their comm wasn't compatible. It also specifically mentions that there's no way to tell if the ammo is viable or not. Poor inventory records and accountability from our government agencies. Is there any surprise here?

It's impossible to know what portion of the arsenal slated for destruction — valued at $1.2 billion by the Pentagon — remains viable because the Defense Department's inventory systems can't share data effectively, according to a Government Accountability Office report obtained by USA TODAY.
    The result: potential waste of unknown value.
    "There is a huge opportunity to save millions, if not billions of dollars if the (Pentagon) can make some common-sense improvements to how it manages ammunition," said Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., and chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "Despite years of effort, the Army, Navy and Air Force still don't have an efficient process for doing something as basic as sharing excess bullets. This Government Accountability Office (GAO) report clearly shows that our military's antiquated systems lead to millions of dollars in wasteful ammunition purchases."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom