• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Sorry, if this was posted elsewhere.

Now that we know more-or-less what the statute will look like can someone tell me:

If I take posession of an AR lower and some 20 rd mags before October, can I complete the build after October without having to register?

Thanks.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    registration was amended out of the bill except for persons moving into the state after the effective date

receivers are sold as regulated, so it's already registered (unless it is a 80% then it isn't)

still probably doesn't matter, as registration is out

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Was it ever cleared up if you have a lower (or rifle) waiting in MSP limbo that you have already paid for counts as "owning" it, or do you have to have possession of it by 10/1/13?

cantonglocker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 27, 2011
    Pasadena
    Was it ever cleared up if you have a lower (or rifle) waiting in MSP limbo that you have already paid for counts as "owning" it, or do you have to have possession of it by 10/1/13?

according to Dumbass if you have a "purchase order" before 10//13 you are good

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    OK - so no registration. But I cannot "acquire" after October. So, same question I guess - if I get the lower now, can I still finish the rest after October?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    To answer the OP, yes, the lower is what is legally considered "the gun." Everything else is just parts and it can be built and changed freely. As long as you have the lower you're good

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    To answer the OP, yes, the lower is what is legally considered "the gun." Everything else is just parts and it can be built and changed freely. As long as you have the lower you're good

Thank you. I think I will go ahead and order one then. Good to have the option later.

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Keep in mind the lower receiver is the government defined "firearm" so finishing it later or not is irrelevant in that asspect. Taking possession of a firearm receiver is taking possession of a firearm - period. The rest of the parts are not the "firearm" the lower receiver alone is. Beyond that reality are the "features" that may or may not categorize your chosen collection of parts added to your receiver as a "assault weapon" per our governments new code.

As to "finishing it later" regardless of when you finish it you're still subject to federal barrel length restrictions and now in Maryland depending on the date of completion you have the "features" guidelines r/t a flash suppressor and forward pistol grip. Again these are features that categorize the assembly of parts we see as "a gun". The State in its grand wisdom has seen fit to define levels of restrictions be placed upon not just the "firearm - i.e. the receiver" which has already been regulated for years, but also restricting the added on parts.

After all the way a thing looks is exactly how one should judge the thing- right? If it looks like something the progressives have seen on the TV show 24 in Jack Bower's hand then it must be dangerous- right? and doesn't the government have the responsibility to protect me from my knowledge of the truth and reality and impose upon my free mind the dictated lies and false fears that they have been spreading for decades.

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    Thank you. I guess that really gets to the heart of what I was asking then. If i finish the build after October, then it sounds like I have to comply with the new law as far as the banned features. I was hoping to be grandfathered from that by virtue of buying the receiver now.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    well these are the features

(3) has two of the following attributes: (i) folding stock, (ii) grenade or flare launcher, or (iii) flash suppressor.

I don't think many people want a grenade or flare launcher so as long as you don't have a folding stock AND a flash suppressor you are fine with everything else. IMHO I think they are going to have some fights over a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Keep in mind the lower receiver is the government defined "firearm" so finishing it later or not is irrelevant in that asspect. Taking possession of a firearm receiver is taking possession of a firearm - period. The rest of the parts are not the "firearm" the lower receiver alone is. Beyond that reality are the "features" that may or may not categorize your chosen collection of parts added to your receiver as a "assault weapon" per our governments new code.

As to "finishing it later" regardless of when you finish it you're still subject to federal barrel length restrictions and now in Maryland depending on the date of completion you have the "features" guidelines r/t a flash suppressor and forward pistol grip. Again these are features that categorize the assembly of parts we see as "a gun". The State in its grand wisdom has seen fit to define levels of restrictions be placed upon not just the "firearm - i.e. the receiver" which has already been regulated for years, but also restricting the added on parts.

After all the way a thing looks is exactly how one should judge the thing- right? If it looks like something the progressives have seen on the TV show 24 in Jack Bower's hand then it must be dangerous- right? and doesn't the government have the responsibility to protect me from my knowledge of the truth and reality and impose upon my free mind the dictated lies and false fears that they have been spreading for decades.

Forward pistol grips are no longer part of the feature list. Buy lowers and receivers of any type of banned rifles specific to the list and their exact manufactured copies. Also buy any semi-auto rifle you want that is less then 29 inches in overall length (e.g. Bullpups). Stop wasting time on pistols, as you'll still be ABLE to get them after Oct. 1st, just without any magazines if they're over 10rnds.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Everyone stop making this so damn complicated. You guys are looking into this bs law more than the aholes who thought of it ever did. Buy your lower before Oct. and build it whenever you want. Even if they found some ridiculous way to ban the purchase "pistol grips" or "uppers." Nothing stopping you from crossing the border and picking that shit up at a gun store, no questions asked. I swear sometimes, we're our own worst enemies.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Everyone stop making this so damn complicated. You guys are looking into this bs law more than the aholes who thought of it ever did. Buy your lower before Oct. and build it whenever you want. Even if they found some ridiculous way to ban the purchase "pistol grips" or "uppers." Nothing stopping you from crossing the border and picking that shit up at a gun store, no questions asked. I swear sometimes, we're our own worst enemies.

+1, QFT

slybarman

Feb 10, 2013
    I am going to try to n pick up either a PSA or stag arms complete lower in the next week or so. Maybe I will get a complete upper in september or so.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

The features test ONLY applies to items that are not on the specific banned weapon list AND they only apply after October 1, 2013. So, if the lower is purchased prior to October 1, 2013, he can build it with as many "features" as he likes because he will have purchased it prior to October 1, 2013.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    well these are the features

I don't think many people want a grenade or flare launcher so as long as you don't have a folding stock AND a flash suppressor you are fine with everything else. IMHO I think they are going to have some fights over a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake.

(G) “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

That is the definition from enrolled SB281 and what the law is going to be. I think the only thing that is going to matter is how the manufacturer defines the device on the gun.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    The features test ONLY applies to items that are not on the specific banned weapon list AND they only apply after October 1, 2013. So, if the lower is purchased prior to October 1, 2013, he can build it with as many "features" as he likes because he will have purchased it prior to October 1, 2013.

+1, that's how I also read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom