• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    With advocates like that, who needs enemies?

"Getting a gun license could be made as difficult as getting a license to fly an airplane, requiring dozens of hours of training. I would certainly be happy to see policy changes like this. In that respect, I support much stricter gun laws.":sad20:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    With advocates like that, who needs enemies?

That's because he's not an advocate; he's the blogger equivalent to a concern troll.

Concern Troll - In an argument (usually a political debate), a concern troll is someone who is on one side of the discussion, but pretends to be a supporter of the other side with "concerns". The idea behind this is that your opponents will take your arguments more seriously if they think you're an ally. Concern trolls who use fake identities are sometimes known as sockpuppets.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    He supports concealed carry. That is someone who is against us?

Certainly isn't an MDS member though.

He also favors magazine capacity restrictions, licensing and regulation schemes, banning private sales, and other "reasonable limits." He slams the NRA a couple times without really justifying why (probably to curry favor with anti-gun people) and is of the "the Second Amendment is an outdated law that's just about militias" ilk. At times, he displays ignorance such as finding the "gun show loophole" to be "scary" and being unaware of the fact that gun shows are an extremely unlikely sources of criminals' guns.

He may not be against us on all the issues, but I wouldn't say that he's "with us." By his own confession he's not "with us" when he makes a big song and dance abou finding the "middle ground."

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    He also favors magazine capacity restrictions, licensing and regulation schemes, banning private sales, and other "reasonable limits." He slams the NRA a couple times without really justifying why (probably to curry favor with anti-gun people) and is of the "the Second Amendment is an outdated law that's just about militias" ilk. At times, he displays ignorance such as finding the "gun show loophole" to be "scary" and being unaware of the fact that gun shows are an extremely unlikely sources of criminals' guns.

He may not be against us on all the issues, but I wouldn't say that he's "with us." By his own confession he's not "with us" when he makes a big song and dance abou finding the "middle ground."

That makes him a concern troll though? Or a spy?

I agree but then again if we are limiting our side to only the people who believe that the 2nd amendment means we can have unlicensed machine guns (which I believe), we are going to lose big time. We can't alienate people everyone.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    That makes him a concern troll though? Or a spy?

I agree but then again if we are limiting our side to only the people who believe that the 2nd amendment means we can have unlicensed machine guns (which I believe), we are going to lose big time. We can't alienate people everyone.

We can, and should have views such as eliminating all gun laws. It is not an agenda that we argue, it is fact and it is human rights. He's arguing an agenda. Agenda vs. Logic... Agenda loses

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I get what your sayin brother, and compromise is a part of life, but it is not a part of the second amendment. There is no such thing as a sensible restriction because it is not sensible to restrict inanimate objects. The government we pay for uses our money to buy weapons that we can't use our money for. If I want an Abrams with the main gun intact and I have the coin, why should I not be able to buy that.

I disagree. I don't think it is a good idea for the gas station to be able to just sell 4,000LB of TNT to whoever has the money. That sounds like a really poor idea. I don't think you should be able to drive a fully loaded M1 Abrams with high explosive shells down the street.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I disagree. I don't think it is a good idea for the gas station to be able to just sell 4,000LB of TNT to whoever has the money. That sounds like a really poor idea. I don't think you should be able to drive a fully loaded M1 Abrams with high explosive shells down the street.

We make bombs at work with soda bottles and oxy/mapp. Add some nuts and bolts and a 100 foot lead electric match and a dozen people are now dead. But I don't want to kill people. And anybody that wants to kill someone certainly has other, if not better options than TNT.

Apg drives Abrams down the street, why can't I?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    We make bombs at work with soda bottles and oxy/mapp. Add some nuts and bolts and a 100 foot lead electric match and a dozen people are now dead. But I don't want to kill people. And anybody that wants to kill someone certainly has other, if not better options than TNT.

Apg drives Abrams down the street, why can't I?

Sorry but you aren't making military grade high explosives. You are making homemade low explosives.

You are more competent than most that want to carry out these attacks.

There is a reason why dozens of terrorist attacks have failed for every OKC that suceeds. They all fail in the bomb making process, or get caught because they need help making one. Think they have to fly Pakistan for no reason.

The same reason they can and you can't is the same reason you can't buy a surface to air missile. The same reason the 1st amendment doesn't protect people who design the Abrams to divulge classified information about it.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I suppose we just differ on this subject. I don't like the government having stuff that is paid for with our money, but they tell us we can't buy it. Not to mention, bombs don't kill people, guns don't kill people, fathers with good looking daughters kill people.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I suppose we just differ on this subject. I don't like the government having stuff that is paid for with our money, but they tell us we can't buy it. Not to mention, bombs don't kill people, guns don't kill people, fathers with good looking daughters kill people.

I can always agree to disagree.

Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.
    Neuroscientist opinion piece

Ok, he is speaking of a subject he knows little about and his thoughts on this matter are counter-intuitive and not indicative of someone who is intelligent.

Bingo! I've read a lot of his neuroscience material, and he's considered a leading researcher in that field.

He is basically trying to make the Brady Kool-aid taste reasonable, after deep consideration of something he's never researched and knows little about. If one doesn't have the history, worldview, and strategic view that many here have developed, he really is just like any Hollywood actor with an opinion.

Fallacy of false authority. (He's a genius, so he must know everything about everything.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom