• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

the cold hard truth. like clint smith said, it's not meant to be comfortable, but comforting. it's insurance, plain and simple. the 'cost' is the discomfort and having to dress around it, on and off at post office, etc. like insurance, you hope to never need it, but it's nice to have if you do.

That's the kind of bunk that gun magazines and their writers put out to stimulate gun sales to people who believe the pap that gets printed. The simple fact is, if it's uncomfortable, it will get left behind sooner or later. How soon is up to the individual and how stubborn he/she is. There's a very good reason that in the 1800's the small derringers were popular, and in the 1900's the small pocket autos were brought out by genius's like John Moses Browning. Mr. Browning designed the .25 auto for just such duty, and he designed the cartridge first and then the gun around. Same for the .32 that was popular with the O.S.S. personal that were dropped into occupied Europe. From 1905 to the 1970's, the small .25's were popular for personal protection by both civilians and some military.

Anyone born and raised in D.C will remember the little Tangfolio .25 autos that were popular, and later became the Firearms International .25 Titan. They were all over the streets. In the 80's it was the Raven .25 that was the darling of the crack war, and we lost a friend to one. Yeah, I know, Jeff Cooper said a .25 will just P.O. someone if they find out you shot them with one. I won't go into what I think of Jeff Cooper, but a guy named Al who was a black belt karate competitor was dropped with a singe round in the chest from one during a botched mugging at the metro parking garage in Silver Spring. The little ghetto kid in his late teens went running off with his shiny Raven .25 never to be seen again.

Small caliber guns can be very easy and comfortable to carry, and when used right, they will be effective. Go google a video of the Reagan shooting and see who was hit and still standing when it was over. Just a little 29.95 Rohm .22 revolver.

Small and comfy is a good thing, that way it's always there in your pocket. Unlke the 9mm or .38 that's home.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Forgot the G42 pic
    f1d6f01a5b1d6f8bc1f9eb5951db6734.jpg
    Dude, for the love of all that is holy... NO more feet (in pictures) for you. Special dispensation for the Pope ( ERuby himself).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dude, for the love of all that is holy... NO more feet (in pictures) for you. Special dispensation for the Pope ( ERuby himself).
    You have no idea how long it took me to position those toes to grip on the fake marble counter like that.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Was 106 in dallas yesterday. 97 on the balmy eastern shore. I have carried a G 27 and now a G33 IWB in a very basic kydex holster. Have also carried a shield 9 and a shield 45. Like the height measurements on the glocks, the width on the shields. In this weather, they get a bit sweaty being carried 10+ hrs, inside and out, but holster and gun are just wiped down. Cleaned every time fired. R me its a tade off of a bit bigger for a bit more shotable. The mini Gs shoot real nice.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am now a 4 year escapee from MD to WV. I seldom open carry but I do CCW often depending on the situation. I can't have a firearm in my vehicle when I go to work for the VA so some days when I know I am going direct to work from where I am I don't carry. That is about the only shortcoming in WV. I won't carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I modified a good IWB holster by adding a piece of closed cell foam on the inside which takes care of the hard edges that dug into my hip. That way I can carry my Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail Commander loaded 9+1 with Critical Duty 9mm hollow points plus a spare mag in my vest or back pocket. Also have my HK USP-C with barrels for .40 (10/12 rds.), .357 Sig (same) and 9mm (12/15 rds.). It doesn't cover as well, but when I feel the need for more firepower 12 rounds of Speer Gold Dots in .357 Sig makes me feel better.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am now a 4 year escapee from MD to WV. I seldom open carry but I do CCW often depending on the situation. I can't have a firearm in my vehicle when I go to work for the VA so some days when I know I am going direct to work from where I am I don't carry. That is about the only shortcoming in WV. I won't carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I modified a good IWB holster by adding a piece of closed cell foam on the inside which takes care of the hard edges that dug into my hip. That way I can carry my Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail Commander loaded 9+1 with Critical Duty 9mm hollow points plus a spare mag in my vest or back pocket. Also have my HK USP-C with barrels for .40 (10/12 rds.), .357 Sig (same) and 9mm (12/15 rds.). It doesn't cover as well, but when I feel the need for more firepower 12 rounds of Speer Gold Dots in .357 Sig makes me feel better.
    What does caliber have to do with chatting about the nuances of concealed carry?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    That's the kind of bunk that gun magazines and their writers put out to stimulate gun sales to people who believe the pap that gets printed. The simple fact is, if it's uncomfortable, it will get left behind sooner or later. How soon is up to the individual and how

Small and comfy is a good thing, that way it's always there in your pocket. Unlke the 9mm or .38 that's home.

( mayerial ommitted) a lady in balto was shot at point blank range a couple of months back durring a car jacking. She was shot in the face near her right ear and the bullet deflected and exited her chin and hit her shoulder without penetrating her skull. It was a .25. Find a 9 or a 38 or even a 380 and het used to carrying it if you are allowed to do so. There are pleanty of flat, light 380s that are lighter and smaller than all steel .25s. And light 9s. Both are light years above older .25s and just as, if not more, comfortable. You can find a 380 at 10 oz. a 9 at 15.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Certainly not as much experience as others but for the last 4+ years I have carried every day here in the People's Republic. I quickly learned that a good gun belt and a quality OWB holster are your friend no matter the weather.

I carry too much every day stuff in my front two pockets for pocket carry to be a viable alternative. IWB with a good quality holster is tolerable at best. I'll do it if I'm in a situation where I absolutely have to be "undiscoverable".

And since 2015 when I first obtained my DC permit I have carried a baby Glock almost exclusively during the work week because I never know when I might receive a call and have to venture into the district or have a job there and it's one of two that I can carry in that jurisdiction so that sets the tone.

On the weekends or during the work week when I'm positive I'm not going into DC I will carry something bigger, the Sig P320 in a high rise High Noon holster has been getting a lot of love recently.

OWB with whatever shirt I have on works for me 99 out of 100 days. Comfy and easy access if needed.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As much as i love carrying my 1911, it gets HEAVY after a while and I've defaulted back to a Ruger LCR with 2 speed loaders unless I'm at the Undisclosed Location and then it's a G20 and 2 extra mags in a Safariland duty holster

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom