• ...and so much more!
  • LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Additional pictures.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nyyrOi01paB9fc7m1
    de93699df1b22efe8ffabc8b36e80d5b.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    The Savages are beautiful... but this is just awesome.
    Finding a 1911 this early still in original condition... with provenance, plus two keyhole mags (or maybe 3?) and all the trappings.... Priceless.
    Admittedly I'm a little biased, being a Colt fanatic.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    The Savages are beautiful... but this is just awesome.
    Finding a 1911 this early still in original condition... with provenance, plus two keyhole mags (or maybe 3?) and all the trappings.... Priceless.
    Admittedly I'm a little biased, being a Colt fanatic.
    Thanks! The Major's Grandson sold it a couple of years ago, the major was in the Ohio National Guard joined in 1901 climed the ranks quickly went down South of the Border chasing Pancho and on his way back to Ohio got orders to report to Camp Sheridan where he received training along with 100 other officers in the National Guard working closely with the US Army a short time later he shipped out to the Western Front and fought in all the major battles returned home and left the military in 1919. I contacted the Ohio National Guard and they sent me a lot of information on the Major on including pictures from a review book of his unit which I was very fortunate to find an original copy of which was printed back in the early twenties to keep with the pistol. I was also able to get a copy of his index card with all of his military information on it beautifully handwritten. The holster is a correct Calvary Style Rock Island Arsenal marked 1912 holster which would have been the type that would have a company that pistol. The grandson said they held onto the original holster for a long time and finally discarded it because of it's deteriorated condition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    O crap that's one heck of a find. And in outstanding condition to boot. Love all the other "smalls" like the trench whistle, pocket watch, etc. Shocked that the nobody in the family had an interest in keeping it. A beautiful example with a rich history.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    O crap that's one heck of a find. And in outstanding condition to boot. Love all the other "smalls" like the trench whistle, pocket watch, etc. Shocked that the nobody in the family had an interest in keeping it. A beautiful example with a rich history.

Agreed, and I've thought this with many of the items in my collection that I acquired from veteran's families as well. To me it's a shame these heirlooms leave the families of the original owner especially after nearly 100yrs. I get that some people aren't into guns/militaria, but that doesn't mean that future generations wouldn't love to have a piece of family history they could appreciate and pass down. Suppose it just ensures us collectors will continue to have opportunities to come into examples like the OP, but still sad in my opinion that items like this are sold off all the time thus ending a large portion of the articulable provenance and history behind them. That said, once again great acquisition, beautiful gun!!

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    Nice pistol beyond all shadow of doubt, but what equates to the provenance? Not trying to bash the find but trying to learn something about a fine pistol and how they are defined beyond actual condition.
    Thanks, I bought & paid for the gun not the story, the grandson said it was grandfather's I had reason to doubt him. I did the family history search and contacted the Ohio National Guard, they provided a lot if information on him including military records. Since the grandfather died in 1952 it's kind of hard to confirm with
    him ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things its still a nice pistol because that's what you were after. I just looked at a Sedgley rifle and the seller was quick to point out who it belonged to but all I saw was a nicely sported M03 rifle that was historically correct for the era the work was done. It was however not a overpriced piece and was a pretty good deal for someone who was interested in that sort of thing.
    You have a real good un right there and would have been hard to walk away from for any reason. Not to mention the additional items and the research, I think its great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom