• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What are the reasons behind restrictions on which Sundays we can hunt? I really can't understand why I could have gone out and shot a deer with my bow today, but can't tomorrow.

Is this an old blue law? Haven't we gotten rid of those?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    What are the reasons behind restrictions on which Sundays we can hunt? I really can't understand why I could have gone out and shot a deer with my bow today, but can't tomorrow.

Is this an old blue law? Haven't we gotten rid of those?
    MARYLAND. 'Nuf said.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes it is and no, obviously, we haven't gotten rid of all of them. :lol2:

It's has been a hotly debated topic between sportsman and landowners in all the counties of MD, thus the different Sunday permitted days in each county (some have more, some less).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I read some older info and in HoCo the horse riders lobby against it. But for the life of me don't get how it should be an issue on private land with bow. They think if they allow bow, gun will be next. But they are the first to whine when they hit one with a car. Me, I say hunters lobby them to wear horse diapers on public land. I have been on trails before where the poop is all over the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    AA Co is the same, the southern part, where most of the hunting properties are, is big horse country and between the landowners (many of whom own big horse farms) and the fox chasers, I am resolved that we will only get one gun Sunday and one bow Sunday til eternity... :lol2:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What really gets me is you cannot shoot a coyote ( or any furbearer other than nutria) on a sunday. Yet I can have one in my trap on a sunday and kill it. Why is this not being changed? Does no one other than me care? I wonder how many are shot on sundays anyway? Hell I bet many get shot and the hunters don't have a furbearer permit. I thought PA had archaic hunting regs, but they CAN hunt coyotes and foxes on sundays!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm not happy til it's every Sunday. What the hell do those horse people have any right to say what I should do on my land?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Old blue law that closed stores on Sunday. All have been removed except the hunting. Really sucks as every other State or Country I have been able to hunt on Sundays.

Good luck

Jerry

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I read some older info and in HoCo the horse riders lobby against it. But for the life of me don't get how it should be an issue on private land with bow. They think if they allow bow, gun will be next. But they are the first to whine when they hit one with a car. Me, I say hunters lobby them to wear horse diapers on public land. I have been on trails before where the poop is all over the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they might be trespassing on a hunters property. Duh.

I've noticed horse people (I use the term to refer to the bad ones. I know several good horse owners who aren't entitled POS/Bs) tend to have about as little regard for other people's property rights as they do for anything that isn't in their tiny little world.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, one possible upside, we are more likely to get there eventually. Always more people, but the number of hunters is slowly diminishing over the long term. Maryland isn't dropping as fast as some states, but over the last 10 years or so it is down something like 5-10%.

A lot of people are complaining about suburban deer and stuff which is why MoCo just passed a 50yd with stand safety zone change. In some ways even though there are fewer of us fighting for changes, the upward pressure on habitat and fewer hunters to manage things will get DNR in out corner pushing for more liberal (in the good way) hunting regs and laws.

Now if someone could just kick HoCo council and executive in the nuts and change the gun/hunting laws in this damn corrupt county, that'd be good.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'll be the odd one out and say I like it.
    I can fish on Sunday without having to choose between hunting and fishing.
    We have a little saying at our house: "hunt on Saturday, fish on Sunday."

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, one possible upside, we are more likely to get there eventually. Always more people, but the number of hunters is slowly diminishing over the long term. Maryland isn't dropping as fast as some states, but over the last 10 years or so it is down something like 5-10%.

A lot of people are complaining about suburban deer and stuff which is why MoCo just passed a 50yd with stand safety zone change. In some ways even though there are fewer of us fighting for changes, the upward pressure on habitat and fewer hunters to manage things will get DNR in out corner pushing for more liberal (in the good way) hunting regs and laws.

Now if someone could just restrain the HoCo council and executive and change the gun/hunting laws in this damn corrupt county, that'd be good.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Choice is good. You can still hunt on Saturday and fish on Sunday. It just gives the rest of us more choice on what to do. Plus, when it is snowing/raining, I prefer to waterfowl on Sunday versus fishing on Sunday. When the reports are that the birds are in the area and the fish are not, I prefer hunting on Sunday.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Now if someone could just restrain the HoCo council and executive and change the gun/hunting laws in this damn corrupt county, that'd be good.

Appears I am not the only one thinking that.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Appears I am not the only one thinking that.
    They only passed the 50 yard thing in MoCo to help gloss over the fact they changed their Sunday hours to cease at 1030am to appease the horsey folk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom