• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Of the steel framed, double stacked 9mm semi auto handguns, which one is your favorite and why? I've always wanted a Browning Hi-Power, but that of course leads to looking at the CZ-75 which leads to the Jericho 941...

There is of course the Beretta 92 and the Sig 226 and a host of others. Which is your favorite and why?

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    The Browning Hi-Power is still my favorite. I own an early '70s Belgian made Hi-Power and still shoot it fairly regularly. I find it amusing to point out to 1911 fanboys that JMB wanted to do better and so started designing the Hi-Power. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911 too but 13 (or more) is always better than 7. I think it just feels perfect in my hand. Even with the very small iron sights it is very accurate and controllable. I have three different 9mm pistols but I always come back to the Browning.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    My P226 Legion is hands down the best handgun I've ever owned.

My other two 9mm pistols are both Sigs and I absolutely love them. I had the opportunity to carry an M11 (P228) for a little while before I retired and it was so much better than the M9 that I bought an M11A1 as soon as Sig released it. I also bought a P320 after having the chance to shoot one of the XM17s. I still love the original Browning though.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    My BHP really doesn't count as a Wonder Nine since it is SAO. And the S&W 39 was only a 8 round mag though it was supposed designed from captured Nazi controlled BHP designs as war reparations.

My first Wonder Nine was the S&W M59 which S&W perfected as the 5906. I also have a fondness for Ruger's P85/89 which was totally underrated by many when it is a great shooter, reliable, great value and tougher the woodpecker lips but they are heavy compared to a Sig though I know of a P90 that can put most 220s to shame.

I hated the Beretta M9 and glad I didn't have to carry one.

And I always lusted after a CZ-75 when it was this mysterious, Commie super gun that Jeff Cooper praised but after the Wall came down and they came into the market, the romance had faded because the Glock 17 (actually my G22) caught my eye and attention.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It's worth noting that I've carried a Glock 22 for 17 years and I love it.

It's also worth noting that I hated the M9 and was proud that my beloved USCG switched away from it.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Until the recent improvements in 9mm ballistics, the Glock G22 was the perfect blend of size, reliability, capacity and power especially if constrained by a FMJ requirement.

I still have my G22 for my one and only 40 Shorty gun.

Sorry to get off topic.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'd go P226/229. Plenty our there. Mags are cheap and easy to find,in free states.

Then there is CZ 75. All above would apply.

Both have excellent aftermarket support to boot.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The Browning Hi-Power is still my favorite. I own an early '70s Belgian made Hi-Power and still shoot it fairly regularly. I find it amusing to point out to 1911 fanboys that JMB wanted to do better and so started designing the Hi-Power. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911 too but 13 (or more) is always better than 7. I think it just feels perfect in my hand. Even with the very small iron sights it is very accurate and controllable. I have three different 9mm pistols but I always come back to the Browning.

But I went with a 1911, because all you have to do is hit once with one of those bullets, and it leaves a 4" wide diameter hole clear through the victims body -- blowing their guts out up to ten yards.

:D

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    But I went with a 1911, because all you have to do is hit once with one of those bullets, and it leaves a 4" wide diameter hole clear through the victims body -- blowing their guts out up to ten yards.

:D

I'm only a CZ guy with little experience with other steel guns, but after this I want in on the mayhem that's coming.

...popcorn.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm only a CZ guy with little experience with other steel guns, but after this I want in on the mayhem that's coming.

...popcorn.

Well, knowing that's not true, I actually bought mine because it just looks cool. It's a S&W 1911SC, and I'll likely hold onto it for years, because I'll take a big price hit on it, if I don't.

I must say, I'm tempted to own a S&W all-steel 9mm, like I see on Summitgunbroker -- only this is the .40 cal:

http://summitgunbroker.com/4013-tsw.html

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

Browning is or no longer will making Hi-Powers...the decision was made back in March. Their website says only that all models but the base standard models are discontinued but the word from insiders is that all are being dropped.

Browning only makes about 3500 Hi-Powers annually and the tooling is worn out. The economics are simply not there anymore to buy all new tooling for such low production numbers. Distributors are already sold out of existing new production and I wouldn't be surprised to see prices spike because of it.

The Hi-Power is an elegant design and it's all too sad to see its demise. God must be crying.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    There was a time during the late 80's and early 90's when I became totally obsessed with 'Wunder' Nines: CZ-75, Steyr GB, Walther P88, Browning Hi Power, Sig P226. There was a (brief) moment when I had all of them at the same time and was eye-balling an HK VP70 when I got hooked on shooting bowling pin matches with my Sig P220 and 1911's. That temporarily cured my obsession with high capacity 9mm pistols.

Out of those, I would say that the two that have withstood the test of time have been the Sig P226 and the CZ-75. That's no knock against the Hi Power. I consider the Browning HP to be the granddaddy of them all.

Between the CZ-75 and the P226, I prefer the CZ-75 nowadays for a variety of reasons including, price/value, comfort and quality of manufacture. 25 years ago, you would've heard me say the opposite.

I still like Sig and think the Legion series is an outstanding pistol. I just don't have any overwhelming desire to own one, although, that's subject to change because I'm fickle as hell when it comes to guns.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Not trying to split hairs but a HP is not a Wonder Nine because it's SAO. Same as the M39 doesn't qualify since it was single stack.

Don't get me wrong, both deserve their historic significance since they helped to point and lead the way to the Wonder Nines like the M59 and CZ75.

You wouldn't consider the G17 a Wonder Nine because it was genesis of today's polymer, striker fired pistols aka the Fantastic Plastics.

J1911

Aug 27, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got an old Smith and Wesson 5904 and a Sig P226.

Both shoot great but I prefer the P226 as it's just a tiny bit more accurate.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Another one that I always lusted after was a HK P7M13 but was I was always put off by the price tag and when I camw across one, it was usually a M8 and we all know that 8 rounds just ain't enough.

The Lemon Squeezer was considered to be designed as the modern gunfighter's perfect gun.

Any P7 owners out there?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Be aware that most are not steel framed any longer, they are alloy framed. That said I'd rate Sig P-226 Legion, Sig P-226, Sig P-229, various CZs (submodel depending on your controls preference) then the Hi-Power. I love the Hi-Power but they have gotten expensive of late for the better ones. The P-226 Legion is by far the best shooting pistol I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom