• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    In MoCo they complain about the suburban deer problem then you look at a map of the massive area of that county that doesnt allow the discharge of a weapon.

They will never put a dent in their deer problem with those restrictions Sunday's or not.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Appears I am not the only one thinking that.

Mostly regarding zoning/development. Or at least that is what I've been paying attention to lately. Tons of double dealing and the developers pay better. Taxes of course *rolls eyes*

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Not sure if you guys have checked the MD Sunday hunting options, but many counties are open on lots of Sundays through the rest of the year. All the region A counties are open every Sunday 10/1 - 12/24 on private land and DPL. The eastern shore counties are open on the vast majority of Sundays on private land. It seems to be the central counties in region B(Anne Arundel, Howard, Baltimore, PG) that only offer a few Sunday hunts.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170919_014930[1].jpg
      thumbnail_20170919_014930[1].jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 103
    • thumbnail_20170919_014941[1].jpg
      thumbnail_20170919_014941[1].jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 102

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    In MoCo they complain about the suburban deer problem then you look at a map of the massive area of that county that doesnt allow the discharge of a weapon.

They will never put a dent in their deer problem with those restrictions Sunday's or not.
    Every Sunday from 10/1 - 12/24 is open in Montgomery Co. on private lands. So they still allow you to hunt somewhere even on Sundays. It is just restricted to 1/2 hour before sunrise until 10:30am.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not sure if you guys have checked the MD Sunday hunting options, but many counties are open on lots of Sundays through the rest of the year. All the region A counties are open every Sunday 10/1 - 12/24 on private land and DPL. The eastern shore counties are open on the vast majority of Sundays on private land. It seems to be the central counties in region B(Anne Arundel, Howard, Baltimore, PG) that only offer a few Sunday hunts.
    On private land it should be all of them. There is no good reason for it not to be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    On private land it should be all of them. There is no good reason for it not to be.

I understand, but if you look it is mostly the more densely populated counties that restrict Sundays. I have to think it is because they believe there will be more people out and about on Sundays in those areas and the risk of accidents increase because of population. It has to be something like that. I don't believe they just decide to not open hunting on Sunday everywhere just because.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I understand, but if you look it is mostly the more densely populated counties that restrict Sundays. I have to think it is because they believe there will be more people out and about on Sundays in those areas and the risk of accidents increase because of population. It has to be something like that. I don't believe they just decide to not open hunting on Sunday everywhere just because.
    All the horse lobby. Their money stands against it everytime. They say as much. Kevin Plank from Under Armour has bank rolled it with his lobbyist.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    What stinks is for us that work full time jobs during the week, we really only have the weekends to hunt. It makes it tough when you limit it to one day per weekend plus have to worry about weather screwing things up. I agree with what everyone said about private land. At least make it accessible to people to hunt on their own land on Sundays.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    No Sunday hunting on private land is beyond ridiculous I can at least understand the argument for public land. I'd also like to see the safety zone around occupied structures reduced for bow season. I have 3.5 acres in Baltimore county and can't legally hunt it due to the 150 yard restriction.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Every Sunday from 10/1 - 12/24 is open in Montgomery Co. on private lands. So they still allow you to hunt somewhere even on Sundays. It is just restricted to 1/2 hour before sunrise until 10:30am.
    That is a Negative on the Every Sunday as 12/10 is not open in any county. They are not allowing hunting the Sunday after the firearms season and before the 5 days of bow to be open until muzzle-loader is open.

Every other Sunday is open. I wonder if these are done on purpose so they can easily pick the bow hunters out Sunday morning and write tickets.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    DNR just sent a letter updating our crop damage permit to include all sundays for hunting.

That being said no one will be hunting sundays on our farm, in season its the one day I don't have to think about helping drag a deer out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What stinks is for us that work full time jobs during the week, we really only have the weekends to hunt. It makes it tough when you limit it to one day per weekend plus have to worry about weather screwing things up. I agree with what everyone said about private land. At least make it accessible to people to hunt on their own land on Sundays.

Not to mention those who work 6 days a week, Mon-Sat. When I was young, that was my schedule. Thank God I hunted private property. I had zero problems hunting Sundays back then. F@#k'm.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Not to mention those who work 6 days a week, Mon-Sat. When I was young, that was my schedule. Thank God I hunted private property. I had zero problems hunting Sundays back then. F@#k'm.

Been there myself. That's why I didn't hunt from the time I moved here until I switched jobs about 11 years later. Its tough enough trying to find time to retreat into the woods when you have kids :lol:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The baseline was no Sunday hunting at all until recently .

While the Horse Lobby doesn't have a logical basis to feel this way, they do regardless . And they have more money and influence than the Hunting lobby and the Gun lobby . By large margin.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I wonder if the length of game seasons are figured into the fact that most hunters can only hunt one day a week? Would sunday hunting impact game harvest enough to shorten the seasons?
    Would you Sunday hunting advocates trade a shorter season for no restriction on Sunday hunting?
    Full disclosure: if sunday hunting were allowed I would've gone bow hunting instead of rock fishing last Sunday.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I wonder if the length of game seasons are figured into the fact that most hunters can only hunt one day a week? Would sunday hunting impact game harvest enough to shorten the seasons?
    Would you Sunday hunting advocates trade a shorter season for no restriction on Sunday hunting?
    Full disclosure: if sunday hunting were allowed I would've gone bow hunting instead of rock fishing last Sunday.
    Im not interested in trading anything. Im interested in using my land as I see fit during an otherwise legal season. Day of week should not matter.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Im not interested in trading anything. Im interested in using my land as I see fit during an otherwise legal season. Day of week should not matter.

And considering the number of deer that go unreported, plus the 80-100k that are reported, I doubt a hand full of extra days would have am impact large enough to shorten seasons with the deer population here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom