• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Silenceco has come out with a black powder rifle with a silencer with no paperwork!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How is this legal? It's still muffling the KABOOM.

Why haven't muzzleloaders been made like this before? In the past 83 years.

If this is legal, it seems like any hunter can attach a suppressor to any muzzleloader with a threaded barrel. Legally.

ATF letter cutting this company off at the knees in 3...2...1...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    BP guns are not firearms :D

The suppressor has to be permanently attached.

The reasons why No One did this before is because it doesn't help much and loading is cumbersome

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    BP are not firearms, neither are air rifles which is why they can have them permanently attached. Tricky problem for a citizen is having it and it not being attached.

Please do not start writing letters and get us all into another brace fiasco, the law is pretty clear. I'm sure they got an opinion from the ATF before they put them out there.

I think it's neat and I'm happy that they did it to point out the stupidity of things but don't see much gain for me as it is now.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Wondering about patches and sabots getting stuck in there somewhere.

There would have to be a tube running the full the length of the suppressor with vent holes to bleed the sound into the main can.

With the ID of tube being very close in size to the OD of the sabot.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    The website Q&A says no sabots, wads, or any plastic piece that separates from the projectile. I suspect patches would qualify as a no-no as well.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    All based on the same idea that you can have a 12" muzzle loading shotgun, handgun etc. with no paperwork. Its not a "Firearm". Just waiting for them to do the handgun barrels....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The website Q&A says no sabots, wads, or any plastic piece that separates from the projectile. I suspect patches would qualify as a no-no as well.

Screw that.

I haven't found a muzzleloader yet that would sling a plain chunk of lead accurately.

May be OK for up close and personal Bambi whacking, but not distance shooting.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It took a lot of creativity to arrive at this solution,” said Josh Waldron, SilencerCo CEO and Co-Founder. “We have been working on this product for three years, with most of that time spent waiting on a determination from the Technology Branch of the BATFE as to how this product would be classified. As soon as we received official word that it wouldn’t be considered or regulated as a silencer, we got to work on bringing the Maxim 50 to customers across the country
    I suspect there will be alot of people making thier own, welding it etc.
    Not sure I understand how the bullet is getting sealing in the grooves. Maybe it isnt.
    Accuracy reports will be important.
    I also wonder how good it will be when you load it for a subsonic velocity?

I believe I'll write a letter to the ATF first though.
    Letter was already done:
    https://silencerco.com/wp-content/themes/silencerco/documents/maxim50/full-atf-letter.pdf

I have seen vids of where people took a stamped Suppressor and threaded a muzzleloader and then used a powerbelt.
    I find powerbelts less accurate than a sabot beyond 50 yards
    Reading the online manual for the Maxim 50, it recommends this which I have no experience with.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/FEDERAL-TROPHY-COPPER-MUZZLELOADER-BULLETS/1906801.uts

In the woods, close to neighbors, up in a tree, this could be viable if you don't want to draw attention.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They engage the rifling just as they did 160 years ago, like an old school Minie ball. They have a hollow base that expand into the rifling upon firing. The Hornady FPB is a one piece bullet with a thin copper jacket while the Powerbelt has a plastic skirt. I have no idea how the FPB compares to a sabot though.

I suppose you could also use a Minie ball, Maxi-Ball, Ball-et, or Plains Bullet if you want something plain lead, since they don't use a separate wad or sabot.

hornady-fpb1.jpg

225675_ts.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What is up with the picture of the guy at the beach with a surfboard and the Maxim 50? Is he going out to hunt sharks? There may be an issue trying to keep your powder dry. WTF?

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    What is up with the picture of the guy at the beach with a surfboard and the Maxim 50? Is he going out to hunt sharks? There may be an issue trying to keep your powder dry. WTF?

:lol: right! i dont even know how they got that picture in the first place. did he stalk out there so nobody could see him or what

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I suppose you could also use a Minie ball, Maxi-Ball, Ball-et, or Plains Bullet if you want something plain lead, since they don't use a separate wad or sabot.

I would predict there quite probably will be a cleaning issue with the baffles if any lube is used. None of the projectiles in the manual have lube

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I would predict there quite probably will be a cleaning issue with the baffles if any lube is used. None of the projectiles in the manual have lube

Use a little bore butter? Or a very light oil? On the website it has very detailed instructions for cleaning and firing the muzzle loader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom