• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I picked up a Remington 700 VS in 308 with a 26" barrel recently. That makes for a front-heavy rifle, so I installed a bipod. It's been great out on my backyard range, but I'm having trouble finding a sling that works well with such a front/top-heavy gun. With a two-point nylon sling shortened as far as it'll go, it still has a tendency to want to flip muzzle down.

Does anybody have sling suggestions for a front-heavy rifle?

Cheers

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I picked up a Remington 700 VS in 308 with a 26" barrel recently. That makes for a front-heavy rifle, so I installed a bipod. It's been great out on my backyard range, but I'm having trouble finding a sling that works well with such a front/top-heavy gun. With a two-point nylon sling shortened as far as it'll go, it still has a tendency to want to flip muzzle down.

Does anybody have sling suggestions for a front-heavy rifle?

Cheers
    Flip down when you’re carrying it or while you’re trying to use it a a sling shooting aide? If it’s a problem for carrying, I feel your pain. I have an H & R Slugmaster that has a 10 gauge profile heavy barrel that hates staying vertical on my shoulder, it rolls back and muzzle-sweeps everyone behind me if I’m not careful. If your top heavy issue is while carrying slung over your shoulder, I’ve come to slinging it upside down, barrel down and to the front (seeing how it wants to go that direction anyway). Problem solved. That is of course if that’s actually your concern. :D

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Flip down when you’re carrying it or while you’re trying to use it a a sling shooting aide? If it’s a problem for carrying, I feel your pain. I have an H & R Slugmaster that has a 10 gauge profile heavy barrel that hates staying vertical on my shoulder, it rolls back and muzzle-sweeps everyone behind me if I’m not careful. If your top heavy issue is while carrying slung over your shoulder, I’ve come to slinging it upside down, barrel down and to the front (seeing how it wants to go that direction anyway). Problem solved. That is of course if that’s actually your concern. :D
    That is precisely my problem. I never thought to let gravity take over and just wear it how it naturally wants to go. Dang rifle has a mind of its own!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    That is precisely my problem. I never thought to let gravity take over and just wear it how it naturally wants to go. Dang rifle has a mind of its own!

That's "African carry" :)

I carry my TC Arms Omega the same way. Barrel is much heavier than normal...

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    There's something about having a barrel pointed (even temporarily) at my legs as I walk that gives me the willies.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    My suggestion is to carry the rifle barrel down with a Muzzle Cover/Muzzle Cap. As it naturally likes to hang, the plastic Muzzle Cover/Muzzle Cap will keep debris out of it. Another way would be to carry it crosswise with a tight strap. Either way will require some getting use to. Of course I wouldn't carry it with a round chambered.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A few ideas :

Instead of plain nylon , try a sling that is widee where it contacts the shoulder, and has non slip surface facing the shoulder, such as suede or neoprene .

Additional or relocated sling swivel farther out the forend ( closer to muzzle) . This lowers the rifle , and center of gravity .

Taking that concept further , add additional swivel , bbl band mounted, aka African or Safari style . Rules out use as shootinh aide, but that's already outside OP's parameters .

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    There's something about having a barrel pointed (even temporarily) at my legs as I walk that gives me the willies.
    The way my shotgun hangs is not straight down, more closer to a 30-45 degree angle. Not great if someone’s in front, then right hand holds it straight down and to the right as long as someone’s in front. Otherwise I’ll do a traditional barrel up shoulder carry, but with my right hand holding the sling, usually with my thumb in a thumb loop. That only works when I don’t need my right hand for anything. And can be tiresome on a long walk. Finally I bought a backpack with the rifle scabbard slot in the top & drop down sack at the stock/bottom. Gun goes nowhere, and is barely noticeable. That is fricking awesome, never going back if I can help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom