• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Trying to figure out over under in 22mag and either 20 or 12 gauge. Primary use is small game hunting. Squirrel, Rabbit, ect . looked into 410 but it seems to low functionality and shells are expensive. Let me know if im wrong here on functionality. I have a 22lr and 22mag rifle i currently use for small gam but i like the fact you can use shot and rifle ammo in them if i come across grouse. More versatility.

Been looking into Chiappa Double Badger, Model 42. I like the savage 24 but it seems a bit expensive. Does anyone have experience with these?

I worry about the double badgers quality.
    I own a chiappa little badger In 22mag and its nice but no real functional safety and if you close the breech and the hammer isnt pulled back I worry it could misfire. I saw a video where the Chiappa M6 scout misfired due to this issue with a 12 guage shell in.

The Savage 42 looks very blocky and plasticy which i dont like either. But seems reasonably priced and youtube reviewers seem to like it

Any suggustions on reasonably priced over under?

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The best over under I had was an Ithaca. That was back in the early 70’s. Used it mainly for pheasant hunting in Pennsylvania. My dad got rid of it when I went into the service.....boy was I pissed. Been looking for another one since. Good luck.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I wish I hadn't passed up a new Savage 24 when I had the chance. But if wishes were horses, I'd have a herd.

The new Savage 42 is 22LR over .410, which just doesn't excite me.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I wish I hadn't passed up a new Savage 24 when I had the chance. But if wishes were horses, I'd have a herd.

The new Savage 42 is 22LR over .410, which just doesn't excite me.
    Me either. It does come in 22mag but not 20 gauge.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    The best over under I had was an Ithaca. That was back in the early 70’s. Used it mainly for pheasant hunting in Pennsylvania. My dad got rid of it when I went into the service.....boy was I pissed. Been looking for another one since. Good luck.
    Ill keep my eyes open for one too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sounds like you want a 20ga version . ( 20ga is a function " normal " shotgun . .410 is niche . Some people enjoy that niche , but it is a specialized cal/ bore .)

Your choices are the Chiappa, or paying Collector prices on a Savage 24 . ( Or deciding to get a shotgun AND a .22 rifle instead .)

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Sounds like you want a 20ga version . ( 20ga is a function " normal " shotgun . .410 is niche . Some people enjoy that niche , but it is a specialized cal/ bore .)

Your choices are the Chiappa, or paying Collector prices on a Savage 24 . ( Or deciding to get a shotgun AND a .22 rifle instead .)
    Just looked. Chiappa has a 410 in 22wmr but no 20 gauge in 22wmr. I swear i had seen the double badger in it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rossi does combo gun packages that are reasonably priced and available in better calibers. But that's a single shot gun and swapping between barrels. Not as convenient (or as cool) as an over-under combo.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    And of course, the Trifecta guns are not in stock anywhere. Great job, Rossi.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The difference between .22lr v .22WMR is a lot less meaningful , than that between .410 vs 20ga .

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    The difference between .22lr v .22WMR is a lot less meaningful , than that between .410 vs 20ga .
    Thats true. Ive actually never shot a 20 or a 410 only 12 gauge. But from reading ive seen 20 gauge seems much more utilitarian

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had two Savage 24's. An older one, 22 Mag/20 gauge, and an even older one 22 LR/410. I still have the 22 Mag/20 gauge. With these guns it typically comes down to the method the barrels are soldered together, full length vs. intermediate and how well they were fitted. I can say I don't care for them, I would carry the 24 for the 20 gauge then carry a Contender pistol for 22 Mag or even a more conventional pistol for 22 LR. I know, still two guns. One shouldn't discharge the shotgun tube if it is scoped for the rimfire. The upper barrels' (rimfire) accuracy were/are so-so performers. I found it at its best as a 20 gauge shortened to youth size for 20 gauge slugs. Nice to have one gun in the field capable of fulfilling two duties. I would look hard a sincere hands on reviews before deciding on one. Seems like some passion for the Ithaca..

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Another option is to get a standard OU shotgun, and use one of those chamber inserts to convert one barrel to 22 or whatever caliber you want. Although I suspect the accuracy of those might insufficient for hunting.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have 3 savages. All are 20 ga and over 22 lr, 22 mag, and .222. I like them a lot and frequently take them out. Think the .22mag/20 ga is the best combo for a camp gun. Wide range of applications.

If one packed a gun to put food on the camp fire, that would the preferable tool.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How about 22 hornet? Savage made a model 24 in 22 Hornet over 20 gauge, I had one years ago and unfortunately sold it. It was a great rifle especially since the 22 Hornet way outperforms 22 WMR.

There's one on Gunbroker right now. These tend to go for less because 22 Hornet is just not as popular.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791436970

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Thats the goal. Gonna find a store with the double badger so i can hold it before buying. Want to see how quality is.

Now, if you want quality*, get a Blaser 'Berg und Tal Stutzen' in 20Ga/22Hornet :D

* and you dont mind spending the equivalent of a nice car

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom