• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    a few years ago, working in the Arizona desert, we had a new guy show up to the work site. He was just checking in for the day and filling out paperwork. As he left we told him to watch out for deer. Not 7 minutes after he left we got a call, "a deer hit my car". We said, "you mean you hit a deer." he said no, the deer ran head first into his driver side door. My sup pulls this 10 or 12" Mick Dundee looking blade from his desk and we haul ass down the road. He getting all excited about how we are gonna have venison on the grill tonight!

We get there and the deer is out cold in the middle of the road. My sup straddles it, lifting the head to give it a clean slice and as he touched the blade to its throat it jumped up, bucking my sup onto his ass and it ran off into the brush. Funniest damn thing I ever saw.

Same thing happened to me three years ago, oddly enough, on my way home from a day of deer hunting. A giant 8 point came out of the dark, running full force, rammed me on my driver's door. I only saw him a split second before he rammed me. He took out my door, the half door, and the whole bed quarter panel of my F-350. Never saw the deer again. It got up and disappeared into the dark. Scared the livin' sh!t out of me!

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Same thing happened to me three years ago, oddly enough, on my way home from a day of deer hunting. A giant 8 point came out of the dark, running full force, rammed me on my driver's door. I only saw him a split second before he rammed me. He took out my door, the half door, and the whole bed quarter panel of my F-350. Never saw the deer again. It got up and disappeared into the dark. Scared the livin' sh!t out of me!

My deer story involved me, my motorcycle, a deer, and a ride to remember.

10:30 on a November evening... 55 mph... a huge buck crosses the road in front of me... I miss him... BAM... the yearling following the buck is now on the front of my motorcycle... the front wheel locks up on the legs of the deer which have been pinched between the spokes and forks... the motorcycle is on its side and comes to rest under a guardrail on the other side of the road... I continue in my direction... airborne, sliding, rolling, airborne again, more sliding... and finally stop quite a long way from the point of impact. Then it’s off to the ER where the doctors thought I was not going to be around long. But I fooled them...

Fvck Bambi. :tdown::cool:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Tell you what, a couple weeks ago I saw a full size pickup hit a deer and it went through it like it wasn't there. A nice size buck sprinted out in front of the truck, the driver had no time to react.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Tell you what, a couple weeks ago I saw a full size pickup hit a deer and it went through it like it wasn't there. A nice size buck sprinted out in front of the truck, the driver had no time to react.

I have seen that as well...

The deer run off in shock... only to die of their internal injuries within a few hundred yards of where they were hit.

There are many such tales.

Back in the late 1960s... a man was driving his 1962 chevy in northern Baltimore County. A deer jumped from the woods right in his path... he hit the deer and when he got out of his car... he believed he had killed it. He pulled the deer into the back seat and started home with it. And then it came to... He got kicked in the shoulder by the deer which was now trying to get out of the car. He stopped in the middle of the road and got out of his car. The deer shredded the interior of that chevy... before breaking out the rear window and running away.

Also... Many years ago a large deer was struck... went over the hood and through the windshield of a pickup truck on I-95... The deer ended up killing the driver.

But... BAMBI... we CAN'T kill BAMBI dad!!!!! WHAAAHHHH. Daddy? WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THAT GUN DAD? :sad20:

Wild life management sense should tell everyone concerned that there are far too many deer in the state... and the population must be controlled or it will only get worse.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    On the road, the deer always win...one way or the other. In the woods, different story.

:D

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Problem with trying to recover meat from a deer that had been hit; is the muscle from the impact is pretty much turned into jello... :sad20:

Such a waste.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Problem with trying to recover meat from a deer that had been hit; is the muscle from the impact is pretty much turned into jello... :sad20:

Such a waste.

I never see a 'lost' deer as a waste. It returns to nature as nourishment for a myriad of critters and insects. Maggots gotta eat too. :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've seen a lot of dead deer on the road recently - more than I can recall ever seeing before.

I had a friend when I was in the military who we referred to as "The Deer Slayer." This guy has hit more deer with vehicles than anyone I've ever known. I don't know if it's because he always lived in areas with a heavy deer population, in addition to living on the outskirts and in rural areas, or just what the deal is, but his personal count is up somewhere around 12.

When we were stationed on Fort Myer, he owned a house clear out by Winchester, VA - he'd get up stupid early in the morning so he could make 0600 formation. One morning he gets in his little Ford Festiva commuter car, gets out to the end of his drive, looks down and sees that he's running low on gas, and that he doesn't have time to stop on his way in to Fort Myer to gas it up. He heads back to the house and jumps in his late 80s model Ford F350 Super Duty. This guy is also a country boy from North Carolina, so not only is this a big, heavy truck, but he's got it decked out with a lift kit, oversized wheels and tires, loud stereo with a bazooka subwoofer, etc. It was a BIG truck, complete with a personalized license plate that read "NO4NJNK" (No Foreign Junk)

So now he's running late and he's hauling ass up this little paved country road that runs past his house when he comes up over a rise and there's not one, not two, but three deer, standing right in the middle of the road. He rolled right over the top of them going about 60 mph, absolutely obliterating all three. The only damage to his truck was a somewhat bent front bumper on one side that he was able to pull out straight with a winch.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've seen a lot of dead deer on the road recently - more than I can recall ever seeing before.

I had a friend when I was in the military who we referred to as "The Deer Slayer." This guy has hit more deer with vehicles than anyone I've ever known. I don't know if it's because he always lived in areas with a heavy deer population, in addition to living on the outskirts and in rural areas, or just what the deal is, but his personal count is up somewhere around 12.

When we were stationed on Fort Myer, he owned a house clear out by Winchester, VA - he'd get up stupid early in the morning so he could make 0600 formation. One morning he gets in his little Ford Festiva commuter car, gets out to the end of his drive, looks down and sees that he's running low on gas, and that he doesn't have time to stop on his way in to Fort Myer to gas it up. He heads back to the house and jumps in his late 80s model Ford F350 Super Duty. This guy is also a country boy from North Carolina, so not only is this a big, heavy truck, but he's got it decked out with a lift kit, oversized wheels and tires, loud stereo with a bazooka subwoofer, etc. It was a BIG truck, complete with a personalized license plate that read "NO4NJNK" (No Foreign Junk)

So now he's running late and he's hauling ass up this little paved country road that runs past his house when he comes up over a rise and there's not one, not two, but three deer, standing right in the middle of the road. He rolled right over the top of them going about 60 mph, absolutely obliterating all three. The only damage to his truck was a somewhat bent front bumper on one side that he was able to pull out straight with a winch.

Deer Slayer was my Uncle's CB handle. He also had a very high kill ratio.

The truck Vs. deer thing happened to me on the PA Turnpike on Sidling Hill... It was foggy... I was eastbound at about 55-60... a small herd came across the interstate from the opposite side of the road... running at a gallop. The first one hit dead center in the bumper of my '72 TranStar. the rest went under the tractor and trailer tandems. All told... around 9 or 10 was what we counted... splattered all over the road and the four trucks that were following me.

It was a true bloody mess...

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Deer Slayer was my Uncle's CB handle. He also had a very high kill ratio.

The truck Vs. deer thing happened to me on the PA Turnpike on Sidling Hill... It was foggy... I was eastbound at about 55-60... a small herd came across the interstate from the opposite side of the road... running at a gallop. The first one hit dead center in the bumper of my '72 TranStar. the rest went under the tractor and trailer tandems. All told... around 9 or 10 was what we counted... splattered all over the road and the four trucks that were following me.

It was a true bloody mess...

I'm guessing that they didn't need to be euthanized.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Driving home a few minutes ago in Bel Air and a van two cars ahead of me hit a doe pretty bad, it was awful watching it suffer, kept trying to get up but atleast one leg was badly injured so it just continued to flop around.
    My gf was begging me to get out of the car and humanely euthanize it with my handgun (her father is a big hunter in upper PA), as she cringed seeing it in pain. This kinda irked me as I sit there and see this poor deer struggle and I went on a 5min speel on why I hate this state and the way society is today (she leans left so made her feel awful I’m sure). That I couldn’t do so because.. no real reason besides guns are scary and we live in a state of 60% +/- idiots who would frown upon that more than seeing a deer in severe pain while it takes police 20mins plus to arrive

How is this typically handled? Call local PD, officer arrives and dispatch the animal with a firearm?

I could not find much in the way of a definitive answer regarding say a CC holder or citizen with a long gun in the vehicle, or how the laws may very from county to county..
    Still really aggravated and feel awful right now after seeing that, kinda ruined my Saturday night to be honest.

YES. DO NOT SHOOT IT YOURSELF! Even snapping neck or cutting throat is probably a bad idea. I base this feedback off the following.

1. when bow hunting, you can't shoot it w/ a gun to finish it off. you have to shoot again w/ another bow shot.

2. discharging a firearm.. blah blah.. panic.. guns are scarry.

3. hunting license! ya.. i self reported to the DNR once, i gave a racoon a mercy killing. they said it sounded like i made the right choice but next time, i should wait for the DNR to get there. Yes.. sometimes they will try to save the animal as one perons's interpretation of "suffering or ability to save" is diffrent than others. That's their job, not yours. This is what the DNR told me when i self reported. I said, thanks and while i'm sorry... i'm glad they agree i made the right choice. (it was also out of season)

4. no shooting w/in X yards of a house! could have legal issues for discharging a firearm if it's too close to a house. i think it's 100.. 150 yards for firearms. I hunt on private property so i dont remember as it doesn't apply to me.

5. ghunz are skarry!

6. the ones that support you on the road will undoubtedly give you crap for not doing it sooner!

i'm sure there's a 7th reason...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My boss lives in WV since 2007, MD before that. He has had something like 5 deer collisions. Most times, the deer hit him. His F150, the deer hit the left REAR side. His Acura, just in front of the A pillar.

And then there is this one. Yes, the deer ended up inside the engine compartment:

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
      deer1.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 183

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    i was driving the back way from Germantown to to my Sterling, VA data center behind Dulles Towne Center. A deer ran across the street right in front of me in Barnesville right past the four way stop sign. I was driving slow so it rolled up my hood of my 2006 Sedona and rolled off. She tried to walk but then just laid down. Poor cop finally got there and had to shoot her. Then a mile from my data center on rt 7,I was going about 55MPH. Right where there is a clump of trees in the median and one ran across. I did not even see it but it hit the same left front spot. It went under and damaged my transmission lines. Called Geico a second time and the lady laughed that another wanted to charge me 250 deductible twice. I told them to have at it to see if they could tell the two different hits. Only paid once.

Wife was on Tuckerman coming home from work late one night near Old Georgetown Rd. A herd went right in front of her and she hit a fawn. Still had spots. She and another motorist carried it to the side of the road. We tried to called Second Chance but they were closed and the voicemail said to call the police. My wife held the fawn. She was in hysterics. She was holding it like a baby. I pulled up and felt really bad. The cops came out and were indifferent. Did not make my wife like cops any more than her current disdain. Sad. The mother was looking from up the street. I wish I could have done something more or finish the deed and not have it suffer until the cops take their time to come out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    i was driving the back way from Germantown to to my Sterling, VA data center behind Dulles Towne Center. A deer ran across the street right in front of me in Barnesville right past the four way stop sign. I was driving slow so it rolled up my hood of my 2006 Sedona and rolled off. She tried to walk but then just laid down. Poor cop finally got there and had to shoot her. Then a mile from my data center on rt 7,I was going about 55MPH. Right where there is a clump of trees in the median and one ran across. I did not even see it but it hit the same left front spot. It went under and damaged my transmission lines. Called Geico a second time and the lady laughed that another wanted to charge me 250 deductible twice. I told them to have at it to see if they could tell the two different hits. Only paid once.

Wife was on Tuckerman coming home from work late one night near Old Georgetown Rd. A herd went right in front of her and she hit a fawn. Still had spots. She and another motorist carried it to the side of the road. We tried to called Second Chance but they were closed and the voicemail said to call the police. My wife held the fawn. She was in hysterics. She was holding it like a baby. I pulled up and felt really bad. The cops came out and were indifferent. Did not make my wife like cops any more than her current disdain. Sad. The mother was looking from up the street. I wish I could have done something more or finish the deed and not have it suffer until the cops take their time to come out.

I need you to come deer hunting with me! You're lucky.
    :D

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    In the 15 years I've lived in Maryland, I've hit or been struck by four deer. Two of those deer died, two ran off. Additionally, one jumped right over the hood of my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom