• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Anybody have any experience with extended 9mm slide stops for 1911’s? Not sure why they’re so hard to find. Seems like these guys or Wilson. And when I cruise the forums it seems like the conversation always derails into “you shouldn’t be using your slide stop as a slide release”.... so, I really just want info on gunsmithing wise why extended 9mm slide stops are a general no go, or experience with this part. The problem with the Wilson is it’s polished stainless steel. I want matte.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/1911-slide-stop-extended-stainless-matte-9mm-10mm-38-super-40s-w

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Someone had a matte stainless extended slide stop. Saw it recently but don’t recall who. You can get the Wilson and use Scotchbite pads to get the matte texture you want...or glass bead it. You don’t see many since they aren’t popular...because they are unneeded. Drop the slide with the left thumb as you bring the gun back up (right handed shooter). Use the trigger finger if left handed. It is one less step and saves time.

Additionally, depending on the fit on the rear face of the stop, (where the slide stop detent pin pushes against) the extra weight of the extension during recoil could cause inertial engagement of the slide stop before the mag is empty.

Also drop the slide with the slide stop all you want. The 1911 was designed for it. The sling shot only method is for some of the ‘other’ pistol makes. I drop the slide with the slide stop using my Glock all the time. Hasn’t and won’t hurt it.

There is more to fitting the stop than just dropping it in. You need to check and clearance as required:

- hold open lug/slide clearance;
    - prep the upper rear corner of the hold open lug;
    - ensure full engagement of the hold open lug in the slide hold open notch;
    - might need to put an angle or detent on the rear slide stop face;
    - ensure no magazine to lug interference inside the magwell”
    - ensure no bullet to slide stop hold open lug interference during feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom