Wear gloves while using petroleum products.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wearing gloves while cleaning guns or using petroleum products.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Cancer sucks, glad he's in remission, no way to prove petro products caused it.

My grandfather worked for 40 years in a body shop filled with body filler dust, paint fumes, and all kinds of nastiness. One of his employees died in his early 50s. They said it was his profession. My grandfather is alive and kicking strong at 81 now.

Point is, you can't always pinpoint the cause of an ailment and universally apply it to everyone. I.E. if you work around noxious fumes you will die early. If you handle petro products with bare skin you will get cancer.

Stuff just happens. Next thing you know someone will blame their cancer on McDonald's bc the have a sausage egg mcmuffin every morning...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Also, this is not completely dissimilar from the kid who just died from "drinking too much caffeine." Most know that excessive caffeine is bad, but there's no formula for X mg of caffeine in X amount of time equals death.

It's probably a good idea to have gloves on. I use them because I just don't want to get super dirty. But I would absolutely not obsess about ppe for fear of cancer, of all things.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Also, this is not completely dissimilar from the kid who just died from "drinking too much caffeine." Most know that excessive caffeine is bad, but there's no formula for X mg of caffeine in X amount of time equals death.

It's probably a good idea to have gloves on. I use them because I just don't want to get super dirty. But I would absolutely not obsess about ppe for fear of cancer, of all things.

Caffeine is addictive, but it's not bad for you. Also pretty good for you.

And caffeine can be fatal, but only in absurd doses, like eating caffeine in its raw form. The LD50 is 150mg/kg body weight.

tumblr_nj4fgeWetz1qk08n1o1_500.gif

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Eh. Long before fatal dosages of cafine per se , will be complications of dehydration, and a 10 point increase in BP would trigger a certain percentage of the strokes and heart attacks already waiting to happen.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've pretty much always worn gloves when cleaning firearms just to keep from leaving deposits on them that will cause rust but now I wear surgical gloves instead of cotton work gloves.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I remember being told in health class many years ago that petroleum can cause latex to break down - Of course it was presented as don't use Vaseline with condoms. So maybe stick to non-latex gloves.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I've been an auto mechanic for close to 30 yrs, I've literally bathed in motor oil, gasoline and diesel fuel. Guess I'm gonna die.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I remember being told in health class many years ago that petroleum can cause latex to break down - Of course it was presented as don't use Vaseline with condoms. So maybe stick to non-latex gloves.

Oil takes a little while, gasoline will disintigrate them on your hands.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Once they hear this what might they use in their cars out in CA?
    I know WD-40 has said hand cleaner on it in the past and believe it is a petro base. ?? We used to wash our hands in gallon buckets of acetone when working with fiberglass, I moved on to resin infusion, much cleaner.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    All jokes aside.

Wear gloves when cleaning firearms.

This message from a legend, who knows it was the cause of his cancer.

I post this because he looked us in the eye, and cared.

I'm wearing gloves from now on, do what you want, he and I were just trying to help.

Good luck to us all.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    My father died of Multiple Myeloma, a cancer often associated with exposure to benzene, basically, gas.

He was directly exposed to it to a great extent early in his life, though the cancer didn't get him until he was 76.

I second the OP; wear gloves, period.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It is easier to wear gloves, take them off, and throw them out than it is to wash dirty hands. That's why I wear them. I don't miss the old days of that 'Lava' compound we used to dip our hands in to clean them: it took me forever to get the fingernails clean.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It is easier to wear gloves, take them off, and throw them out than it is to wash dirty hands. That's why I wear them. I don't miss the old days of that 'Lava' compound we used to dip our hands in to clean them: it took me forever to get the fingernails clean.

Thank you. This is probably the most simple and direct 'best' advice possible.

Also thanks to those that also mentioned this.

I'll admit, I'm getting lazy, I don't shoot as much as I would like too, and I clean even less often. I can afford a dozen pairs of 10 cent gloves.

Possible to wash the gloves still on my hands with soap and water and get a few uses out of them?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've been wearing gloves to work on the guns for the past 10 or so years.
    Prior to that all I had were a couple hunting rifles and a couple of handguns. Cleaning was therefore once or twice a year for the hunting rifles and a few times per year for the handguns.

Then came high power and C&R matches and for the past 10 years I'm cleaning some gun about twice per week.

I have no idea if gun solvents or any other solvent is a direct cause of cancer all by itself. But I do think that there is a tipping point where long term exposure to chemical agents can make adverse changes in your body.

So yeah, I now wear gloves.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've been wearing gloves to work on the guns for the past 10 or so years.
    Prior to that all I had were a couple hunting rifles and a couple of handguns. Cleaning was therefore once or twice a year for the hunting rifles and a few times per year for the handguns.

Then came high power and C&R matches and for the past 10 years I'm cleaning some gun about twice per week.

I have no idea if gun solvents or any other solvent is a direct cause of cancer all by itself. But I do think that there is a tipping point where long term exposure to chemical agents can make adverse changes in your body.

So yeah, I now wear gloves.

Thanks, your testimony much appreciated. I'm going to do my best to be right there with you from now on. :thumbsup:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Thank you. This is probably the most simple and direct 'best' advice possible.

Also thanks to those that also mentioned this.

I'll admit, I'm getting lazy, I don't shoot as much as I would like too, and I clean even less often. I can afford a dozen pairs of 10 cent gloves.

Possible to wash the gloves still on my hands with soap and water and get a few uses out of them?
    You're welcome. I could add that our spouses prefer that we wear gloves too, if you know what I mean:innocent0 (Could this count as a 'bonus' post?).

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    The only problem I could see with wearing gloves is if you are doing a lot of disassembly and the gloves make it hard to hold the little parts or screws. I have a box of non-latex gloves under the sink that my wife uses when she cleans so I am good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom